Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Aqueon Evolve Master Thread.

dtitus1

well ive had a misshap with my tank, i had a friend over and they wanted to try the nano mag i got, so i let em, unknown to me there was a peice of argonaite attached to the outside magnet, now i got a huge scratch along the front view pane, anyone here buffed out a scratch before?

• Replies 415
  • Created
  • Last Reply

let me see if I can find my thread. Mine was about having to buff out superglue on the outside, I thought it was water and I took my hand and smeared it down, and added superglue down the side. didn't see some was on my hand. someone suggested something. just a moment. hold music.

How to remove light smear of superglue from acrylic? is the name of the thread. I just haven't tried it yet.

http://www.novuspolish.com/

Yeeaaah they one drawback of acrylic My evolve 4 is now sitting empty until i can either find someone who wants it or figure out another use for it. Might do a Mantis tank if i can find a small one no one wants.

mantis tank would be cool or like a focus on a single species of coral or something, i got a 1 gal kit that was similar to the evolv from my grand mother and want to do a zoa garden, i also bought a new coral frag today, it looks to be a purple candy cane coral

• 2 weeks later...
streamline.by.design

Hey everyone! I just got in all the parts to make an ATO and I am struggling over where to put the float switches. The chamber with the pump seems to fluctuate not only with evaporation but also depending on how much filter floss or how clean the floss is. This is problematic because I don't put the same amount of filter floss every time, I am grabbing out of a bag and this doesn't seem possible.

I have my 1st chamber split with the plexy class mod and in the first chamber I have purigen and filter floss. In the second chamber I have carbon. I have been considering drilling the floor of the 1st chamber and adding an egg crate rack for media but I am still not sure if flow restriction would effect the water level on the pump chamber.

My head is spinning a bit over this and I am having a hard time finding examples. Any help?? Please.

i think it would be hard to get an auto top off without it being trouble, the problem you pointed out is a good one, i know my over flow box fluctuates rapidly, and alot. is there a reason your using carbon? i dont ever use carbon unless i have medications or unknown chemicals in my tank, that goes for all my tank fresh, salt and brackish. if you moved the carbon or got rid of it, there would be an area, or maybe try using a filter media that you can more easily be consistent with. in my experience, my pump chamber stays really level most of the time, but i dont have much for my filter other than some marineland filter media, well good luck with it, keep with updates

streamline.by.design

The carbon is a force of habit I suppose. Really I have enough LR to run without anything but floss. But my water has stayed clean and the levels have been holding steady since the beginning. One of those, don't fix if it ain't broke, situations. I was considering a HOB. That would allow for the chambers to remain consistent and the media could be in the HOB.

This could come in handy later as well. I am thinking strongly about setting up a second E8 and connecting the two. The secondary would be a sort of display refugium and would run on a opposite light scheduling. Once I get a dedicated stand I will have a sump and a lot of these issues will go away.

well carbon is one of those things, i like the idea of connecting 2 evo 8s, and have the display refugium, i think thats cool. the HOB might be the best option for an auto top off plus you wouldnt have to suffer from usable space in the back like mine. do you run a skimmer at all? and the one problem i see for connecting the two tanks would be water exchange unless you use 2 overflow boxes or drilled holes with plumbing.

streamline.by.design

My plan was to drill holes between the two. I am still in the brainstorming level of that. I don't run a skimmer, I just do the water changes every 1.5 weeks. It is such a small tank that the water change takes no time at all.

happyhour99

one thing you could do would be to make that tiny little slit between the two back compartments bigger. IMO thats why slows the flow the most. That way you didn't have to drill

I also saw someone who did drill the bottom of chamber 1 (tons of 1/2 holes) then just layered filter floss, purigen and carbon. and have water flow through it. And seal up the slit. But i don't remember what thread it was. They stated that had great flow through it.

streamline.by.design

I actually made the slit larger and drilled some holes in the divider. The flow is great but again can be effected by the amount of filter floss and how long it has been in. I usually switch it out every 4-5 days, but that seems to be enough. I love all the experimenting.

That is the direction I was swaying toward. I wanted to get some egg crate from the hardware store to remove the need of putting my hands in the water to remove the media. If I end up getting a second E8 I will drill away.

I know 2 of us did. I ended up drilling out as much bottom as I could, just leaving a ledge in the first chamber and put a piece of basket bought at a dollar store. I sealed off the edge btw the 1st & 2nd chambers. I also plugged up that little hole in the left front w/ glue too. I like the fact that when it's time for cleaning I just lift off the plastic basket and siphon both chambers. Prior to that there was less movement in the bottom so pineapple sponges grew in both chambers. I have very little movement in the right chamber because the pump head is at the bottom of chamber one so it sucks it up right there so the top water is not ruffled. I change my floss every 4 days or so. One thing I did do was go to a hobby shop and pick up a large pipe cleaner- perfect for cleaning out the output tube- before I did this change the whitish output tube was filled with pineapple sponges, now it is not at all. So again, my flow is better.

025_zpsf4dc0a1d.jpg

FTS 8-2-2013

FTS8-2-13_zps9becb09c.jpg

nice tank, next time i do another reef im gonna use black sand,

few people are talking about DIY stuff and i thought id give my hand a try, since i cant find a skimmer that will fit and what i want, i decided to try that, after looking at commercial skimmers i decided to base the design on the seaclone with some mods, such as an external pump, a wood airstone, and the fun part is im gonna use as much spare parts as i can, right now all i need is some tubing, a wood airstone, and some couplings. once i get things sealed up, we will see how it goes. if you guys/girls have any ideas, let me know

BattleAthletics

nice tank, next time i do another reef im gonna use black sand,

few people are talking about DIY stuff and i thought id give my hand a try, since i cant find a skimmer that will fit and what i want, i decided to try that, after looking at commercial skimmers i decided to base the design on the seaclone with some mods, such as an external pump, a wood airstone, and the fun part is im gonna use as much spare parts as i can, right now all i need is some tubing, a wood airstone, and some couplings. once i get things sealed up, we will see how it goes. if you guys/girls have any ideas, let me know

You could try a biocube skimmer for the tank.

i have one now, but i wanted to see if there was anything more efficiant, plus i had lots of extra parts so why not experiment

update on the skimmer, ive got most of it built, and mostly sealed, just gotta seal a few more joints, and ill be ready to test, i hope itll work as planned

famousdan314

Just wanted to post an update on my tank. It is about 4 months running now. I dont have a ton of coral but I am enjoy buying them one at a time. Heres a link to a short video, any advice or constructive criticism welcome :D

also a pic taken with my sony nex-5N

DSC01270.JPG

Great looking tanks. That vid makes me want to get some fish!

I went for the refugium with cheato in one of my chambers in the back. I used a submergible fountain light I found online but it ended up heating my tank over 86F by morning. A little bummed on that. Having trouble finding one that runs cooler, possibly a LED? if anyone has any suggestions let me know. The light has to be submerged or mounted to the bottom of the chamber's lid since the tanks in my room and I have no need for a nightlight anymore. Oh yeah that's right, got my big boy pants on! (Superman pose)

Anyways. Here's a update of my E8. Picked up a few new zoas, pink AOG and Utterchaos along with a green/blue favia. Can find some great corals on CL. Loving it.

http://s212.photobucket.com/user/hellbound322/media/image-28.jpg.html'>image-28.jpg

I highly recommend the Ledtric Par38. My bam bam zoas have doubled and my meteor shower is looking to spread onto my back wall. Everything I've placed in there, including beginner SPS seem to thrive.

Only battle I have is Some sort of hair algea. Orangish brown, long strands and very brittle. I was using filtered ocean water but figure that could be the cause so I switch to a synthetic. Seems to be on ther surface as well, might be time to look into a skimmer. See if that clears it up. I lost a emerald crab in there a month ago, really want to try for another not sure what went wrong. I know they eat bubble algae, not sure about this though.

Great looking tanks. That vid makes me want to get some fish!

I went for the refugium with cheato in one of my chambers in the back. I used a submergible fountain light I found online but it ended up heating my tank over 86F by morning. A little bummed on that. Having trouble finding one that runs cooler, possibly a LED? if anyone has any suggestions let me know. The light has to be submerged or mounted to the bottom of the chamber's lid since the tanks in my room and I have no need for a nightlight anymore. Oh yeah that's right, got my big boy pants on! (Superman pose)

Anyways. Here's a update of my E8. Picked up a few new zoas, pink AOG and Utterchaos along with a green/blue favia. Can find some great corals on CL. Loving it.

image-28.jpg

I highly recommend the Ledtric Par38. My bam bam zoas have doubled and my meteor shower is looking to spread onto my back wall. Everything I've placed in there, including beginner SPS seem to thrive.

Only battle I have is Some sort of hair algea. Orangish brown, long strands and very brittle. I was using filtered ocean water but figure that could be the cause so I switch to a synthetic. Seems to be on ther surface as well, might be time to look into a skimmer. See if that clears it up. I lost a emerald crab in there a month ago, really want to try for another not sure what went wrong. I know they eat bubble algae, not sure about this though.

Hey- haven't seen you guys in a while. Looking really good there. I like that you're spreading the corals out evenly over the tank.. I think it's going to look really nice when in fills in.

famousdan314

I lost a emerald crab in there a month ago, really want to try for another not sure what went wrong. I know they eat bubble algae, not sure about this though. You can have my emerald if you want him, I was planning on returning him. I don't think they are entirely reef safe. I enjoy my pom pom crab better.

Yeah I've read that if they get hungry they might nibble on coral. Wish I saw this post I picked one up yesterday.

I also picked up a biocube protien skimmer as well as Kent's organic adsorption resin for a stage in my filter. I was told its a superior media for a reef tank since it doesn't remove trace elements like chemi-pure or carbon. That combo should hopefully rid the Cyanobacteria I have in my tank. I'll post if/when I see a difference.

Thanks 1st time. I've started a 20L with a tank and T5s I had sitting around, some of those frags are just waiting to go in that tank.

streamline.by.design

Modded my back chambers this weekend! Drilled out the bottom of the first two chambers and added a media tray. On my tank the 9 wide diy media tray didn't work. The channels for the stock filter got into the way. I modified it to work but I am going to make another with the supports on the long sides versus the end. I know there is flow but when looking into the rear channel I feel like there isn't enough, the water in the right chamber just doesn't have the movement I would like to see. I do think this mod is going to make an ATO more of an option. The water level is the same throughout the tank.

• Christopher Marks unpinned this topic

Archived