SaltCritters.com

Starting an Aqueon Evolve 2

biggyal66

my wife just got me an early Christmas gift, Aqueon Evolve 2 for my office desk. After looking at it and wanting a mini reef system I knew that changes had to be made.

1st I took a small drill bit and drilled out the filter holder. Then I took a dremel tool and cleaned it up as much as I can. I finished the project by cutting some acrylic and glueing some dividers in and making a seperate chamber for a small place for cheato. Let me know what you think.

Im going to go with a fishless system and mostly do shrimp and alot of zoa's with some macro algae.

post-42151-1355234010_thumb.jpg

post-42151-1355234018_thumb.jpg

Lookin good. Be very careful with this tank, they scratch stupid easy. We have a display one at work that was heavily scratched right out of the box.

Thanks for the advice, I will be extra careful with the tank. I got water in it yesterday to water test it. Hopefully right after christmas I can get some LR in it and start this thing going. I was thinking of a nice peice of Tonga rock. What LR should I get? Any Ideas?

post-42151-1355324760_thumb.jpg

post-42151-1355324781_thumb.jpg

looks good so far, one of the drawbacks of the design for the evolve tanks is the space below chamber one is a trap for stuff to build up and you have to remove the heater, pump etc. the siphon it out. I'm also using chamber one in my 8 for chaeto, except I drill holes in the bottom so water flows down into chamber 2 instead of through the little space on the back between the chambers.

Are you gonna stick with the stock light?

I will look for LR this weekend and see what the LFS has. danimal1211 to solve the problem of stuff storing under the filter department I drilled out the filter compartment completely and sectioned off the lower part of the pump compartment. So the water will go from the tank thru the slots and hit a glued in piece of acrylic then down into the newly created compartment and then back up and over the wall seperating the filter and the pump section. Then the pump, pumps it back to the tank.

As far as lighting goes Im going to go with BoostLED Par30 light.

• 3 weeks later...

I got my light in yesterday and I cant wait to get some live rock and start cycling. I got some of Dr. Tims One and Only bateria to help it cycle faster. I should get some LR/LS sometime next weekend. Here is some pics of the tank with the new light. I got it from OCReef.com the PAR38 with the Reef Clamp Lamp to hold it to the back of the tank.

Ive shrank the pics to less than 1mb but it still tells me " You can upload up to Uploading is not allowed of files (Max. single file size: 10MB)" now what?

• 2 weeks later...

I got some new coral from some LFS.I got a really nice piece of Green Birdnest and a small frag of Green Slimer Acro. Im thinking of a nice piece of pink or purple acro or some acans on the sandbed.What do you guys think and what would be a good addition to my tank?

2013-01-15_21-46-11_217_zps645a9494.jpg

2013-01-15_21-45-47_102_zpsb843ea73.jpg

2013-01-15_21-45-15_46_zps7c543981.jpg

2013-01-15_21-44-52_69_zpse0e06a44.jpg

I have an evolve 2 to house a mantis shrimp. It only features LR, a sand bed, and caulerpa. Have you replaced the stock lighting yet? The stock lighting is growing my caulerpa very well, not sure how it'll do with corals.

L

Yeah since that pic was taken the light is about 12-14" about the tank, I wanted the most simple yet effictive look I could, plus for the price I couldnt pass it up. The arm that its on has the tightest bend it can make with the highest possible position. I also have it dimmed about 40-50% becuase it was making everything melt way. if you are going to run a par 38 on a small tank like this, make sure its dimmable. unless you want to hang your light off the ceiling.

• 3 weeks later...

My live stock list

ORA Green Birdsnest

Tri-Colored Valida

Pink Lemonade Acro

ORA Green Slimer

Blue clove polyps

Nuke Green Zoas

Pulsing Zenas

Green and blue Shrooms

Rainbow Acan

Red PPE Zoas