inTank Media Baskets

The get away place

drtybacn

FTS 10/6/2013

1380365_10200543069521208_1484946837_n.j

Hardware:
AE8 with a Maxspect Razor 120w LED light

First chamber has pump for skimmer and second chamber has return for skimmer and sump pump.
Hydor power head

Live stock:
Duncans
Pipe organs
Zoanthids
Brain Coral
Toad Stool
Green Star Polyp
Superman Mushrooms

Hammer Coral

Blue Clove Coral
Orange Plate Coral

War Coral

Hybrid Clown Fish
2 - Peppermint Shrimp

Ok so got my tank going and its been up for 3 weeks now. I do have a clean up crew. But thats all for now.

66439_4116521713352_2125970474_n.jpg
778840_4125765104431_22164568_o.jpg
778696_4125764504416_774998736_o.jpg

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

nice crab- good or bad guy? Any updates? I started my AE8 Feb 23rd so it's just hit 3 weeks. I have 2 Astreas I bought and then it has a few tiny snail hitchhikers, a tiny brittle star, an even more tiny, like 1/4" red bristle worm, and a small bivalve that has itself in a hole that's a tunnel actually in the rock, and 3 little fan worms, and 1 awfully small ugly brown zoa. No pics yet plan on it as soon as my fixture comes in for my light and have a fish and a few coral- will be after Easter.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...

So I haven't posted any pics in a long time and here is a pic of my tank as of now.

I have add a skimmer on the back and upgraded my light to a maxspect Razor.

The light is a 120w and a big time overkill. I got the light at a steal and couldnt pass up the light.

I have neglected the tank for a long time. I check my nitrates and phosphates today and they were out the roof. I couldnt figure out what was going on. Then i remebered that i had stuck some filter floss around the pump. All i can say is yuck! That was it.

1272427_10200526510947254_462189204_o.jp

Beautiful pictures you're taking there. Those mushrooms are sweet! Can't wait til mine grow more, still acclimating. I love how even w/ the size we're all still being very unique w/ our choices of corals, aquascape, etc.

For not being taken care of tank still looks alright.........when thriving was amazing

I didnt realize you are from Asheville. I have a couple friends that live there. Fantastic place to live. Spent many weeks up at UNCA.

I wish I has kept up with my tank. I neglected it for so long I lost alot of stuff. I saw what you were getting. Those shroms look amazing and the zoanthids look great too.

I didnt realize you are from Asheville. I have a couple friends that live there. Fantastic place to live. Spent many weeks up at UNCA.

I wish I has kept up with my tank. I neglected it for so long I lost alot of stuff. I saw what you were getting. Those shroms look amazing and the zoanthids look great too.

Oops, didn't know, was wondering though, hadn't seen any posts in a while. I live just south of there in Arden but most people "might" know where Asheville is so that's why I put that instead. Well, you'll just have to work at getting it back!!

Yeah after finding my root problem to why my nitrates and phosphates were so high, I already see a change in the tank.

Went from 1ppm in phosphates to .25ppm and 80ppm to 5ppm in nitrates without changing water. It was just that nasty old filter floss stuck at the bottom of the sump.

Going this weekend to a lfs to get 2 peppermint shrimp and maybe a couple pieces of coral.

Well I checked my nitrates and phosphates this morning. Nitrates are 0 and phosphates are still at .25 I think I'm going to do about a 2 gallon water change and see if that helps the phosphates.

Tomorrow is going to be a good day. Still plan on getting 2 peppermint shrimp and possibly a couple coral.

I'm really wanting some montipora. Maybe a birds nest or even an encrusting type.

I once had a superman monti I was holding for a friend and it was beautiful. More pics to come when I get them.

Love the mushroom with blue dots.

Thank you!

Superman Mushrooms.

I wish they would multiply. I've had these guys for 7 months and nothing. They are cool!

I have got a crazy Clown! This fish loved its chalice! This guy hosted it all day long and wouldn't let me near the chalice.

Of course this chalice is one of the things that I lost a couple months ago.

You live and learn!

977315_4718753048759_17097133_o.jpg

I got it when it was 2" and it got to about 6"-7" :(

one thing for sure is give the chalices lots of room. They grow fast and they love to sting other things. This thing had 4" tentacles when the lights were off.

Mine is growing slow but it's not facing up, it's on the side so it's not doing much, until a week ago when I started using a combo of Reef Frenzy and Bugs Alive. Looks like it got 2 more heads and it's coloring is changing.

What type of chalice do you have? This one was a Hollywood Stunner. I wouldnt recommend it for a small tank. Something larger would be better. I heard the hollywood is one of the worst for sting other coral.

Here is a pic of the light and tank. You can also see the way my skimmer works. Yeah its big but it does the job. I feed heavy when i feed and I like the overkill on the skimmer. Also you can see that I have my ph and temp prob in chamber #1 with my filter floss and the pump for the skimmer.

1263770_10200532536137880_559224146_o.jp

Where did you get the red mithrax crab? I've been begging around here for a while for one but nobody will order it for me.

I got it a LFS is Wilkesboro NC. It was the last one they had and I think I paid 12 bucks for it. It didnt last long in there cause dummy me was moving some rock around and crushed it.

It was called Superman on Steroids. It's the one in the back. The one in the front died, really fast.

017_zpsf569251d.jpg

That looks amazing! Good luck with keeping it.

So phosguard is what you suggest as far as a removal? What about Chemipure elite?

throw some phosguard in there if you can't get the phosphates down.

Works every time ;)

Archived