Coral Vue Hydros

NanoTopia's ADA 30c [ FLIR ]

NanoTopia

i em ever so slightly envious of this tank :) amazing build! i may take "inspiration" from your build and ... copy most of it ;)

not sure if it have been asked, i have read though the thread once and skimmed for details a couple of times, but how are you finding the nanobox?

I love it. Mine was a custom request, LEDs and channels on the storm. I customized the arm and added a longer cable with plug (it was an after thought on my behalf). Can't say enough about Dave, he really cares about the product he produces and his customers, hard to find these days.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Picked up a Ruby Red Dragonet today, just acclimating, pics when I can.

So the Dragonet is setting in, he's about ¾", so quite small. Haven't seen him eat yet but he may be eating pods. I fed mysis yesterday and not surprisingly he wasn't interested. This may have been that they are just too big, I will try Cyclopeeze today, more his size. I will also try and get a picture of him :)

Those pictures were so gorgeous. The anemone shrimp looks amazing, how big is it?

Can't wait to the dragonet.

Oh. I also meant to tell you that my professional water test, my Red Sea Refractometer and Zephs Hanna checkers all said my tank is 35ppt. :happydance:

Those pictures were so gorgeous. The anemone shrimp looks amazing, how big is it?

Can't wait to the dragonet.

Oh. I also meant to tell you that my professional water test, my Red Sea Refractometer and Zephs Hanna checkers all said my tank is 35ppt. :happydance:

Kat, the dragonet is eating, picking up pods, seems happy, I am very excited :) Im going to try and get a decent picture of this cutie today.

Good to hear the refractometer is giving more accurate results. This RedSea refacto might be a popular item for RedSea if they would just get it on the shelves.

SouthFlorida_Tron

Piscine Energetics Special Grade Mysis, basically they are smaller than the original mysis. Going to try them out now.

14493490139_cc2500fb03.jpg

I use the regular one, fish love it... but i hate using it too often, it leaves a very greasy film in the water... skimmer hates it even after one or two hours...

I use the regular one, fish love it... but i hate using it too often, it leaves a very greasy film in the water... skimmer hates it even after one or two hours...

It's the oils that make it beneficial. People don't realize that and rinse the mysis too much, removing all the benefit from the shrimp. Yes I agree the product will shut down the skimmer for a while, depends on amount you feed. My first impression of this product is that the shrimp seem less oily and the shrimp do mot appear gut loaded like the regular bulk packs that contain the larger shrimp. I have been buying the bulk packs and cutting them up, more work but more economical than the pre-fab cubes. These bulk packs have been very oily for me.

So one note: Don't rinse this product, doing so will remove all the fatty acids from the surface which I believe are added to the product. I put the mysis in a fine strainer then soak strainer in RO water to thaw. Once thawed I just lift out the strainer and feed from there, NO rinsing.

SouthFlorida_Tron

Ive always been more traditional in my methods... drop a cube in a shot glass, fill it with the tank water, and in 5-10 minutes start feeding :)

LOL

Not easy to get a photo of this guy as he is a tad timid still, this is the best I can do for now.

14498825400_06bf6338bf.jpg

Couple other shots from today.

14685180872_0a6b31b276.jpg

14499091107_1be09af93a.jpg

14498890780_a1ddee3a6b.jpg

Little Photo DUMP :)

13960341618_9a8c8d31dd_c.jpg

14144104132_d0c89db439_c.jpg

13960357018_19bf0e1823_c.jpg

13960366328_c46c02f602_c.jpg

14167067613_09fe55366a_c.jpg

14167066473_d9b9cebeb1_c.jpg

14143681971_8fe38e3996_c.jpg

13960351448_cb4bbbec90_c.jpg

14144102602_ee6e9e9ea8_c.jpg

13960351490_a204c430d1_c.jpg

14144112522_971e947d2c_c.jpg

14144117532_360c768496_c.jpg

14143688221_c9987ae89f_c.jpg

14144098462_b99f92b87e_c.jpg

14058627134_7716b7341e_c.jpg

OK seriously...why have I not seen this. I need more time on NR :(

This tank is just fantastic Christine. I am sorry I missed it....now I get to read the whole thread and watch all the vids :happydance:

I nominated you for TOTM just from the video on page one.

Your 'he' is actually a 'she' ;)

Thanks Ben :P

I will call her "Dragon Lady" then :lol:

OK seriously...why have I not seen this. I need more time on NR :(

This tank is just fantastic Christine. I am sorry I missed it....now I get to read the whole thread and watch all the vids :happydance:

TOTM just from the video on page one.

Awe thanks Maria :wub: , glad you found it eventually :)

• 3 weeks later...

It was inevitable, the nitrates are slowly increasing so it's time to manage them with some media. Not crazy about bio-pellets but I thought I would give these a try and see how it goes. Starting with 15mL.

14835934021_d2fd57d0f0_z.jpg

Nano sapiens

It was inevitable, the nitrates are slowly increasing....

Nearly 1-1/2 years, right? So common with our Nanos.

Not sure if you vacuum the SB regularly. If not, you can avoid the pellets hassle if you like by vacuuming along with your WCs. In a few weeks you should see the nitrates come way down due to the enhanced bacteria efficiency in the SB.

Nearly 1-1/2 years, right? So common with our Nanos.

Not sure if you vacuum the SB regularly. If not, you can avoid the pellets hassle if you like by vacuuming along with your WCs. In a few weeks you should see the nitrates come way down due to the enhanced bacteria efficiency in the SB.

No, only 10 months, it's not serious, I have no problem algae but I would like to get the NO3 down a bit to improve colours on some montipora's. I'm starting with a small amount, very small, play it from there. I'm hoping to keep 4-5ppm NO3, right now it's like 15-20ppm.

Nano sapiens

No, only 10 months, it's not serious, I have no problem algae but I would like to get the NO3 down a bit to improve colours on some montipora's. I'm starting with a small amount, very small, play it from there. I'm hoping to keep 4-5ppm NO3, right now it's like 15-20ppm.

My nitrates started to climb to 20+ around the 1 year mark, or so. WCs alone were of little help, but regular detritus removal was the key to get them back to 1-2 ppm.

• 3 weeks later...

Update:

I removed the dragonet, seemed to be getting thinner so I got concerned and moved her out. It wasn't a pod issue, I even re-seeded the tank with pods, she just looked like she was not eating. Took me 2 days to catch her :furious:

On a better note, the "all-in-one" bio-pellets seem to be kicking in and corals are starting to respond.

14991991895_b4f2a9fd69_z.jpg

14805353370_746831e585_z.jpg

14991643992_2ffc595ae1_z.jpg

14991649912_d036e22355_z.jpg

14805479107_14bebb1a73_z.jpg

14992007115_777f922067_z.jpg

14992048735_d83e3fa1fa_z.jpg

14805455978_44e29c6698_z.jpg

Nice blastos!! Is that a war coral 4th pic down? Curious how it is spreading like that. I have one and it has completely covered the plug it is on and will not spread like that. I just put a piece of shelf rock next to it to try and convince it to spread.

Beautiful corals and well done on the photos too!

Thanks Mike :)

Nice blastos!! Is that a war coral 4th pic down? Curious how it is spreading like that. I have one and it has completely covered the plug it is on and will not spread like that. I just put a piece of shelf rock next to it to try and convince it to spread.

Thank you, the coral is a Tasmanian Devil Chalice, mine was a slow grower for a long time, in the last few months its doing really well.

Mr. Microscope

Great update!

Did you lower the intensity of your light (accomidating LPS?)? Looks like some of the zoas a stretching.

I'm about to invest in those all-in-one biopellets as well. Thought they might be worth a shot after seeing the Reefbuilders article. How long have you had them running? According to the article, they require more flow than regular BP's. Did you change up your reactor pump when switching? What is the current GPH it? How much PB are you running?

Great update!

Did you lower the intensity of your light (accomidating LPS?)? Looks like some of the zoas a stretching.

I'm about to invest in those all-in-one biopellets as well. Thought they might be worth a shot after seeing the Reefbuilders article. How long have you had them running? According to the article, they require more flow than regular BP's. Did you change up your reactor pump when switching? What is the current GPH it? How much PB are you running?

Actually I have increased my PAR over the last month, corals seem happier. These palys have always done that, never paid much attention to it, maybe they want more light, they seem pretty happy and have multiplied quite a bit.

I have only had the BP's running for a couple weeks. I have them in my DIY mini reactor and flow is ~50GPH, all that's needed for 15mL pellets, LOL. Thinking to add 10mL more soon but I want to wait a bit. I have had bad experiences with regular BP's in the past so I am taking it real slow this time, I will just add every 3 weeks if necessary. I have heard when these all-in-one BP's kick in they pack quite a punch. I think mine are just starting now.

Archived