SaltCritters.com

NanoTopia's ADA 30c [ FLIR ]

NanoTopia

Looks like a little colonial cycloseris/diaseris. Very common hitchhiker on indo-pacific rocks and about as hardy as a kenya tree. The way to to tell is cut it in half. If it regenerates into perfect circles its a cyclo, more oblong shaped its a diaseris. I think I have a couple behind my rockwork still.

I think you are right :) Thanks

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Very cool random hitchhiker. Definitely looks like a plate or a button coral to me. Very possible that some flesh came in on some live rock or a frag and has just been developing over time.

Your macro photos are amazing! :wub:

Would you please teach my crappy iPhone to take photos like that? No????? :furious:

Your tank and photos are such an inspiration. Thank you!! :bowdown:

Very cool random hitchhiker. Definitely looks like a plate or a button coral to me. Very possible that some flesh came in on some live rock or a frag and has just been developing over time.

This is what I am thinking, not I have to keep the cleaner shrimp from batting it around the tank and into other corals.

Wanna know the best PO4 removal method? Detritus removal. ;)

I agree.

Your macro photos are amazing! :wub:

Would you please teach my crappy iPhone to take photos like that? No????? :furious:

Your tank and photos are such an inspiration. Thank you!! :bowdown:

Thanks so much for the kind thoughts. I have no suggestions on how to take better iPhone pictures of the tank, really the iPhone cannot handle colour shift and correct for excessive blue. I have found even in post editing not much is possible. The video and stills seem to be better however, if I change the LED spectrum to more white for shooting, roughly 6-8K. No way I know to get anything quality with the blue spectrum we often keep. Big advantage with LED fixtures for taking pictures is their ability to adjust spectrum with relative ease.

The DSLR in RAW mode is still my preference, you can really correct colour balance when editing in RAW, JPEG not so much. So if you can change the tanks lighting spectrum for shooting you will get much better images overall :)

This is not just a thread is the story of a well done job!

Thanks and welcome to nano-reef :)

I am just so, so impressed with this entire thread. Amazing concept, great execution, and incredible photography to top it off.

Thanks, that means a lot to me. I haven't been updating so much lately though, I will try to update more and share some thoughts on the system. The tank is now 13 months old, I missed the official birthday party :P

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Congratulations on TOTM Christine! Starting off the new year right!

Thanks sunburn, you are right, such an honour, I am truly grateful.

Congrats! Great thread, great pics, great writeup. Once again well deserved.

Thank you so much Mark, thank you for the kind words :)

Tank looks great and the corals look very happy :)

Congrats!

Thanks nano, only one coral is not so happy ATM, my Palys are irritated for 2 weeks now, not sure why, no pests visible, one of those things I guess :P .

Nano sapiens

Thanks nano, only one coral is not so happy ATM, my Palys are irritated for 2 weeks now, not sure why, no pests visible, one of those things I guess :P .

Besides my own woes with my yuma population, I've noticed a lot of issues this winter, even from experienced reefers. Not sure if it's the season or what, but it's strange.

Michaelmarine

Amazing tank!? Do you live in Vancouver? I am looking to start a 50 gallon sps tank but I find our local aquariums west does not have the best stock.

Where are you getting yours from?

Besides my own woes with my yuma population, I've noticed a lot of issues this winter, even from experienced reefers. Not sure if it's the season or what, but it's strange.

Well it could be something to do with the fact we are all so busy before Christmas and neglect our tanks a little, not sure. Many people notice a drop in pH and temperatures during winter, might have something to do with it :)

Congratulations! Beautiful tank and photos.

Thank you so much :)

Amazing tank!? Do you live in Vancouver? I am looking to start a 50 gallon sps tank but I find our local aquariums west does not have the best stock.

Where are you getting yours from?

I live outside of Vancouver in the Fraser Valley, I will PM you regarding where to get supplies :)

What a lovely way to bring in the new year. Congratulations!

:wub:

Kay, thank you, you have always been a big inspiration for me :)

Paleoreef103

Thank you so much :)

Beautiful job on the tank. Congrats on the ToTM and I can't wait to see where this one continues to bloom!

I just received two "Nano Doser 1" syringe dosers from Saltwater-Conversion in Australia and all I can say is OMG WOW!

I love gadgets but I love gadgets that are purposeful and good quality even more.

I am going to be testing these beauties over the next few days and getting a feel for them as well. All I can say at the unboxing stage is I am very impressed. I am a nurse (semi-retired) so I am no stranger to equipment like this but it is the first time I hold these particular pumps in my hand so let the learning begin.

Stay tuned for more updates as I put these to the test. I am hopeful they will be the inexpensive and accurate nano dosing solution I have been hunting for for both this tank and my other 20 gallon tank. However, as some might know, I am very critical of all equipment I use on my tanks so I am approaching this with a bit of scepticism as well.

Here are some unboxing photo's:

16182142116_450746fc68_c.jpg

16207204392_eb4c1a7480_c.jpg

16208014685_23d9ccc70d_c.jpg

16020659250_0c4c87c19d_c.jpg

16022198757_bbb895a76f_c.jpg

More to come...

Archived