Innovative Marine Aquariums

NanoTopia's ADA 30c [ FLIR ]

NanoTopia

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Congratulations on TOTM! Love those nano-dosers ;)

Thank you kindly :)

I am pretty excited about these dosers, started dry testing them to day, updates to follow.

Congrats. Yet another TOTM with a Nano Box. Hmmm ;)

Let us know how you like the dowers. I am thinking of the same set up.

-Dave

Yes Dave, you are right, I see a trend forming :P

Will do on the dosers, I plan to do a couple of tests before installing them, want to make sure they are up to par.

This thing could've been totm with rock and water only. We saw this coming.

:)

:) Not so sure about that :lol:

Thank you.

Hmmm ..I am looking forward to find out how it works

These are refurbished medical equipment from my understanding, so I expect they are well made and reliable. I have played a bit with them and find them pretty easy to get running. More updates to come!

Doing a dry run with both pumps first, mostly a calibration really. I want to see if each pump delivers the set mm/24h with syringes attached. The thing about these syringe pumps is they are programmed based on how much the syringe plunger moves in a 24h period, and that translates into volume dosed. So the size of the syringe and the mm/24h setting are the two variables for the dose amount. The actuator moves 0.12mm each time, this is a fixed rate that cannot be changed (as far as I can see). So you can imagine how small each dose can be depending on the two variables (see below). I hope to demonstrate this visually at a later date but we are talking true nano doses here.

The doser runs off a single 9V battery, not sure what the operating life will be from a new battery, I can let you know when it dies out :DI have done some research and found that the battery is rated for 50 full deliveries.
First thought is I would like to see a DC transformer (power supply) that could be plugged into a controller. This way you could at least stop and start dosing remotely if necessary. I am not an electrical technologist LOL, but I know the DC transformer would have to be properly matched in other not to compromise the pumps operation in any way.

The back side shows the battery compartment (lid removed) and the threaded screw that is turned by the internal motor.
15586726554_921bd7b7e1_c.jpg

Doser #1 - 3mL syringe attached, programmed and running. This pump I am testing a 3mL syringe to dose 54mm/24h period. The 54mm is the distance on the syringe between 0 and 3mL mark. Since the pump doses over a 24h period, the plunger should be at 0.0mL after 24 hours. Of course I will be checking it if it arrives at 0.0mL before or after the 24 hour time period. I have set the doser to dose 3mL over 24 hours, it will dose approximately 450 times in that 24 hour period. Each dose should be ~0.00667mL (450 x 0.00667mL = ~3mL). Each infusion moves the actuator 0.12mm. Not to make it more confusing than it needs to be, all we really need to know is that we are dosing 3mL a day of solution, simple as that. I will check it again tomorrow.
15589288303_92712dfa2c_c.jpg

Doser #2 - 30 mL syringe attached, programmed and running. The 30 mL syringe cannot run 30mL of solution due to the size of the syringe pump so I am starting at the 20mL point on this one. The distance between 0.0mL and 20mL in this case is 48mm so I have set this doser to deliver 20mL over a 24 hour period. In this case the actuator will move approximately 400 times in the 24 hours, each time 0.12mm, each dose approximately 0.05mL, (400 x 0.05mL = 20mL). All we need to know here is that we are dosing 20mL per day delivered over 400 doses. I will check it again tomorrow.
16208326702_eec1afa95f_c.jpg

One note, these pumps are quieter than the average peristaltic doser but they run approximately every 3 minutes. In a cabinet I don't think you would hear it at all however I have not tried them in cabinet yet.

I awoke this morning at 0700h to find the 3mL syringe already at 0.0mL, it was not supposed to end until 1100h. After looking at my configuration and rechecking everything I discovered it was MY error and not the the syringe pump. I set the syringe pump for 54mm/24h when I really should have set it for 44mm/24h. My mistake, in all the excitement of getting the test going I somehow measured the distance from 0.0mL-3mL wrong, the distance is really 44mm. So I have started the test over, this time with the correct measurement and settings. See below.

16027768860_d87042bb0f_c.jpg

The other 30mL syringe test is still underway and right on mark, this is because I measured that one correctly, LOL. This syringe test will be over at 1100h PT (Pacific Time). Looks like it will be within the +/-5% accuracy this devise is said to have, but I think the accuracy will be much better than that.

There is some learning curve to using these syringe pumps but really it is not that difficult once you understand how it works. Generally, at least in my case, once you designate a pump for a specific function and set it up, all you have to do is fill the same syringe when it is empty. Refill durations will depend on your syringe size and configuration, most syringes will last for ~30 days so you are not constantly refilling them. If you are running a highly concentrated solution of trace elements for example 20mL of solution in the syringe should last more than 30 days when dosing a nano tank. Less if dosing a larger tank. Carbon dosing much the same.

On the Saltwater-Conversion website there is a calculator that dose all the calculations for you, you just fill in the blanks, very cool.

Can't wait to try the nano doser myself.

Did you order one? Your going to love it, if you have any questions I am happy to help. Your a smart cookie though, you don't need me :D

Mr. Microscope

hmm...i wonder if a DC driver for LED's + power supply would work in place of the 9volt? There's got to be a way to turn a battery device into a plug-in. I think some youtube research is in order.

EDIT:

also, not exactly sure how this works, but according to the reviews it should do the job:

http://www.amazon.com/HQRP-Battery-Connector-Adapter-9-Volt/dp/B00C9VGVO2

jedimasterben

hmm...i wonder if a DC driver for LED's + power supply would work in place of the 9volt? There's got to be a way to turn a battery device into a plug-in. I think some youtube research is in order.

EDIT:

also, not exactly sure how this works, but according to the reviews it should do the job:

http://www.amazon.com/HQRP-Battery-Connector-Adapter-9-Volt/dp/B00C9VGVO2

Batteries are DC power, not AC, so there is no need to convert. A 9v power supply would give the same power that a 9v battery would, just, well, without running out :P

So if I read correctly, a battery will get you 50ish full loads and a small dosing set up like for vodka lasts 30 days. You could run off of one battery for a few years?

So if I read correctly, a battery will get you 50ish full loads and a small dosing set up like for vodka lasts 30 days. You could run off of one battery for a few years?

Theoretically, if you ran each syringe for 30 days, you would only go through 12 full loads. Im thinking under normal use you might replace the battery once or possibly twice a year. DC adaptor rigged to the unit would do away with the batteries altogether, and allow for on/off control using a controller like the Apex or Digital Aquatics.

Mr. Microscope

Theoretically, if you ran each syringe for 30 days, you would only go through 12 full loads. Im thinking under normal use you might replace the battery once or possibly twice a year. DC adaptor rigged to the unit would do away with the batteries altogether, and allow for on/off control using a controller like the Apex or Digital Aquatics.

Also, I imagine as the battery looses power at the end, the doser would still work, but only sort of resulting in inconsistent dosing. Plus, it will be hard to monitor if it's still working with such subtle movement of the device and placement inside a stand. I think the DC adapter is the way to go. I'm really surprised that the company went with a battery powered design.

Batteries are DC power, not AC, so there is no need to convert. A 9v power supply would give the same power that a 9v battery would, just, well, without running out :P

Yes, but I always thought DC converters were rated in Volts and mA. I have found the original operation manual for this unit via some searching, it details no more than 50 mA to be used during testing procedures and servicing calibrations etc. It was never intended to be run with a DC power supply as this is a portable medical syringe pump. I cannot find a solid answer on how many mA a typical alkaline 9V battery puts out, so does this matter?

Also, I imagine as the battery looses power at the end, the doser would still work, but only sort of resulting in inconsistent dosing. Plus, it will be hard to monitor if it's still working with such subtle movement of the device and placement inside a stand. I think the DC adapter is the way to go. I'm really surprised that the company went with a battery powered design.

Well it's design was intended for portable infusion of medication to patients, this would allow some mobility. The patient could walk around the house or go to the bathroom without a 100 foot extension cord, LOL.

Yes, but I always thought DC converters were rated in Volts and mA. I have found the original operation manual for this unit via some searching, it details no more than 50 mA to be used during testing procedures and servicing calibrations etc. It was never intended to be run with a DC power supply as this is a portable medical syringe pump. I cannot find a solid answer on how many mA a typical alkaline 9V battery puts out, so does this matter?

The amount of mA a 9V battery will put out depends on it's internal chemistry and the internet has varying reports. Even the data sheet from Energizer themselves doesn't specify a maximum mA draw on it's Alkaline battery, but it does have a chart that shows capacity you will get from the battery based on the current you draw - this goes up to 500mA. Frankly I have a hard time believing people are going to get a 500mA draw from a standard Alkaline battery but maybe I'm just wrong. You can find the spec sheet for a generic Energizer Alkaline 9V here: http://data.energizer.com/PDFs/522.pdf.

If the manual claims the doser maxes at a 50mA draw you should be fine because most 9V power adapters are good to 200mA or more.

I use these dosers at work from time to time. They are designed for use with children where small doses are needed and typically they are used for interfacility transports where battery power is a must. However this is the first one I have seen that doesn't have both battery and outlet power.

jedimasterben

There is no real 'maximum' amperage draw from a battery. It is a constant voltage circuit, which means that voltage always stays the same and amperage will vary depending on the load that the device requires. So if the pump used 50mA when on, then you could power it with a 60-75mA 9v power supply or a 9v 100A power supply, and the latter would not be 'too large' as the pump will still only draw the 50mA.

The amount of mA a 9V battery will put out depends on it's internal chemistry and the internet has varying reports. Even the data sheet from Energizer themselves doesn't specify a maximum mA draw on it's Alkaline battery, but it does have a chart that shows capacity you will get from the battery based on the current you draw - this goes up to 500mA. Frankly I have a hard time believing people are going to get a 500mA draw from a standard Alkaline battery but maybe I'm just wrong. You can find the spec sheet for a generic Energizer Alkaline 9V here: http://data.energizer.com/PDFs/522.pdf.

If the manual claims the doser maxes at a 50mA draw you should be fine because most 9V power adapters are good to 200mA or more.

Thanks for the info :)

I use these dosers at work from time to time. They are designed for use with children where small doses are needed and typically they are used for interfacility transports where battery power is a must. However this is the first one I have seen that doesn't have both battery and outlet power.

The maker of these pumps originally is Graseby, looking at the original manual, no power adaptor is available.

There is no real 'maximum' amperage draw from a battery. It is a constant voltage circuit, which means that voltage always stays the same and amperage will vary depending on the load that the device requires. So if the pump used 50mA when on, then you could power it with a 60-75mA 9v power supply or a 9v 100A power supply, and the latter would not be 'too large' as the pump will still only draw the 50mA.

This is what I was thinking now, it depends on the amp draw from the device, as long as the device does not require more amps than the power supply can deliver you are fine.... am I right?

But how come, if I remember correctly, using a power source with too many mA can fry LED or shorten their life span. It's been a while since I played with LEDs but I thought 700 mA was a good for LED's and some require more or less. So what I was thinking in the first sentence doesn't make sense to me now :wacko:

The 20mL Syringe test went very well. At 1100h, exactly 24 hours since I started the pump, the pump just reached 0.0mL. There was maybe 0.2mL remaining but that is likely measurement error. Even if it is pump error its error was ~1%, I can live with that! This is exactly what I would expect from a medical infusion device. Just awesome!

I still have the test going on the 3mL syringe, different pump, if that checks out I am going to rig one up to dose carbon, ZEOstart3 in my 20 gallon. The other I will use for my 7 gallon, not sure yet but I am thinking ALK.

jedimasterben

This is what I was thinking now, it depends on the amp draw from the device, as long as the device does not require more amps than the power supply can deliver you are fine.... am I right?

But how come, if I remember correctly, using a power source with too many mA can fry LED or shorten their life span. It's been a while since I played with LEDs but I thought 700 mA was a good for LED's and some require more or less. So what I was thinking in the first sentence doesn't make sense to me now :wacko:

Yes, you are correct, but you run LEDs in a constant current circuit, not constant voltage, so the current always stays the same and the LEDs only draw as much voltage as they need. Basically bass-ackwards of a constant voltage circuit :)

Yes, you are correct, but you run LEDs in a constant current circuit, not constant voltage, so the current always stays the same and the LEDs only draw as much voltage as they need. Basically bass-ackwards of a constant voltage circuit :)

Thanks Ben :)

Cool little dosers! Could also be very useful for dispensing particulate food into nano NPS tanks...hmmmm...

It might work, my brain hasn't gotten that far yet :P

Really excited to see this in one of your tanks NanoTopia!

Thanks for all the comments and questions everyone. Re the battery, yes I agree it is a trade-off but there are reasons for it.

Firstly if the power is ever turned off the dosing schedule will continue uninterrupted (it will not loose its place and you will not have to manually activate the pump again) remember this is gradually dispensing its payload over 24h

It allows you to chill the entire device and its payload with minimum fuss and safety concern (this model works well though do put a silica satchel in with it to keep the air dry to control condensation)

it will keep the payload around 10deg

The battery will only need changing every 6 months and you can easily see if it is running by the indicator light on the unit. No different to checking your dosing containers really.

mr. microscope: the device will never randomly dose whatever the battery conditions. It is a medical pump and has all the safeguards you would expect B)

For the brave and adventurous only:

If you want DC power consider using a battery saver device

post-81864-0-45408000-1420597479_thumb.jpg

Or alternatively any old 9V DC power supply will work just fine so long as you check the +/- before soldering its wires to the battery terminals. It only draws a tiny amount of power.

Remember with DC powersupplys the device will only pull what it needs so a higher current supply is not an issue (though I would recommend picking something in the 200ma-1a sort of range)

if you would like to use it with a controller you can solder a wire to each of these two pins and use a dry relay on your chosen controller. Each time you fire the the relay with your controller (use momentary on) the actuator will dose the amount shown under the "boost" section of the calculator. You will also need to drill a small hole in the plastic casing to allow the wires out.

Set the pumps output to 00 first.

post-81864-0-39209700-1420601216_thumb.jpg

Thanks for the information Neill.

I have installed one pump to dose ZEOstart3 (liquid carbon) to my 20 gallon ZEOvit tank. I am using the 5% diluted solution because I think it will work best for my application and dose amount. The pump is dosing 3mm/24h on the 30mL syringe. My calculations give me just under 1.4mL per day of solution. That should be ~12 doses spread out over 24 hours, or conveniently a dose every hour.

Some pictures...

16031952928_d0b3fcc314_c.jpg

16217602671_54a34dc7e2_c.jpg

16219468155_72627913e6_c.jpg

For now I am content with the battery, I may do a retrofit down the line though. I must say, this is the best solution for dosing small precise amounts without having to spend a ton of money. It's very easy to operate and set up, it took me about 30 minutes total.

If any one wants help with the set up I am happy to help as best I can. Just PM me :)

Some random shots I have taken while experimenting with the doser, also some information...

This is the Luer Lock Micro Bore line that comes with the doser. Note the check valve or anti back flow valve, not needed for our application, more of a medical use but what you should know is it will prevent you from aspirating solutions while it is attached to the syringe so you need to fill the syringe then attach the tubing. The ID of the tubing is around 1mm.

15597210474_eb576a459b_c.jpg

Filling the syringe is easy, you do want to remove any air bubbles in the syringe for more accurate dosing before attaching the tubing. You can do this by pointing the syringe upward (tip up), and tapping it with a pen or other hard object (works better than flicking it with your fingers). One note, you need to prime the tubing so overfill your syringe, approximately 1.5mL will be needed to prime the tubing.

15599752073_b21ff13ef5_c.jpg

These air pockets are almost impossible to remove unless you continue to prime them through. This may not be a big issue but it is probably best to remove them. Catch the solution from the nozzle end, you can reuse it possibly.

15599743883_fe230c6277_c.jpg

Don't go crazy trying to remove every micro bubble, just make sure all the bigger pockets are out otherwise you may not have consistent dosing but the overall 24h total should be pretty accurate anyway.

16032076438_562a6588a0_c.jpg

You get a couple of different tip sizes with each doser. I like the smallest one especially for small doses and solutions that are not too viscous. These just lock into place so they will not pop off. The small tip diameter also prevents solutions from holding a large drop on the end like you get with air line tubing or ⅛ ID tubing. Makes each dose more precise.

15597201244_6a62224581_c.jpg

So here is the tip (nozzle) locked into place.

16033781847_1cb396d3cf_c.jpg

This is the other side of the doser, you can see how the syringe is placed on top.

16033496089_8614d9aa38_c.jpg

You can see here how the actuator is not touching the end of the plunger, the doser also needs to be primed so the actuator is firmly against the plunger. Then it is ready to go. The actuator can be moved manually or by pressing the "Boost" button on the front of the doser.

16217718811_b8e9fc13fe_c.jpg

With the 5mL syringe in place.

15597194284_9e07b24627_c.jpg

With the 30mL syringe in place.

16033487929_4c85668635_c.jpg

You just turn these screws with a screw driver to set the mm/24h. There is a calculator on the Saltwater-Conversion web site that will figure it all out for you. You can select 00 to 99mm. (00 turns the doser off)

16032234330_07e82565f7_c.jpg

I will make a short video showing the Nano Doser 1 in action in a couple of days and post it here for those interested.

I really wanted to share this doser with everyone because I am so impressed with it. Thanks for following. Always happy to answer question as best I can, PM me.

Archived