Cultivated Reef

NanoTopia's ADA 30c [ FLIR ]

NanoTopia

The same group make a phosphate reducer that is supposed to be substantially more efficient than GFO:

http://www.dvh-import.com/index.php/products/po4x4-phosphate-remover.html

My GFO was running low (the last of it is in my reactor right now) so I purchased a bag of that stuff to try. I'll swap it out in a fortnight when I replace my media and I'll see how we go.

This is what they claim for the AIO BioPellets...

"Now we are pleased to say that after 4 years of research we can present the All-In-One Biopellets (Patent Pending), which can be used to more efficiently remove both Nitrogen (5x) as well as Phosphates (10x-20x) without the need of using separate phosphate removing substrates."

Now I am supposed to believe what they have to say about their new PO4 media...

Probably not ;)

The RowaPhos is doing it's job, along with the AIO BP's and my tank is clear and clean again.

I really really like that shrimp!

Thanks Giga, he is always out hanging on his gorgonian goniastrea, I have feed him every day. I still have two sexy shrimp and a cleaner shrimp in the tank as well.

I was just reading a thread on these AIO biopellets and that seemed to be the general consensus, NO3 was coming down well but PO4 wasn't. Will be interested to see how it goes a bit more long term.

Yup, the AIO BP's are doing a good job, think I am running 50mL only and they are holding NO3 down quite well. I just ramped up the amount over a month to find the right amount for my tank.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Mr. Microscope

I was just reading a thread on these AIO biopellets and that seemed to be the general consensus, NO3 was coming down well but PO4 wasn't. Will be interested to see how it goes a bit more long term.

Yup, the AIO BP's are doing a good job, think I am running 50mL only and they are holding NO3 down quite well. I just ramped up the amount over a month to find the right amount for my tank.

They seem to be working for me. My Nitrate seems to be running about 0.75 to 1ppm and PO4 is near undetectable (Red Sea Test Kits). Though, I agree with the skepticism about them keeping down PO4. From their appearance, it looks like they are a biopellet made with some GFO in them. Considering how fast GFO is depleted, I'd imagine that it's useless well before the pellet breaks down. I'd guess that it does a good job initially, but during that time the pellet may not yet have colonized to reduce NO3. Perhaps they need to be refreshed more frequently to be useful.

This is what they claim for the AIO BioPellets...

"Now we are pleased to say that after 4 years of research we can present the All-In-One Biopellets (Patent Pending), which can be used to more efficiently remove both Nitrogen (5x) as well as Phosphates (10x-20x) without the need of using separate phosphate removing substrates."

Now I am supposed to believe what they have to say about their new PO4 media...

Probably not ;)

The RowaPhos is doing it's job, along with the AIO BP's and my tank is clear and clean again.

I had no idea they have those claims about their biopellets. I was under the assumption that biopellets were specifically for nutrients and not phosphate control. The funny thing is, when I was doing some research for their phosphate media I found a lot of praise from the likes of Advanced Aquaria and a few other large sites. Pretty much every review stated that the phosphate reducer is ideal for use with biopellets for a 'one-two punch' sorta thing. Might just be bad PR I guess, who knows.

I haven't given it a try yet but I'll soon find out :).

I started off using RowaPhos and it is a great product, I have nothing but praise for the Rowa range. The high cost pushed me away though and I went over to the AquaMaxx GFO (3 times as much media for the same cost as Rowa) and that worked great also. The thing that kills me with GFO is that most stores around me don't carry it and the online stores charge through the teeth for freight so I splurge and buy other bits and pieces to make the freight worth while haha.

I had no idea they have those claims about their biopellets. I was under the assumption that biopellets were specifically for nutrients and not phosphate control. The funny thing is, when I was doing some research for their phosphate media I found a lot of praise from the likes of Advanced Aquaria and a few other large sites. Pretty much every review stated that the phosphate reducer is ideal for use with biopellets for a 'one-two punch' sorta thing. Might just be bad PR I guess, who knows.

I haven't given it a try yet but I'll soon find out :).

I started off using RowaPhos and it is a great product, I have nothing but praise for the Rowa range. The high cost pushed me away though and I went over to the AquaMaxx GFO (3 times as much media for the same cost as Rowa) and that worked great also. The thing that kills me with GFO is that most stores around me don't carry it and the online stores charge through the teeth for freight so I splurge and buy other bits and pieces to make the freight worth while haha.

I would not trust any review from a company, online or not, that gets paid through advertising. Most of the products sold to aquarists are over hyped and over priced. This is why the forums are the best source for reviews IMO, people generally don't have a reason to make stuff up ;)

As always great stuff! Glad to see the tank still rolling. Just got word the 6040 should be in two weeks!

Awesome, it really looks like a great option, especially if you have an Apex.

Could you share what kind of reactor you're using for your biopellets?

Sure,

9256476122_e14a88ce10_c.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Dayum that is nice.

LOL, I posted these in the wrong thread, they should have been in my 20 gallon thread, oh well glad you like them :)

Im absolutely loving these pics Christine..... some really knockout shots. :o

Thanks Eugene, just trying to keep up with you :)

So I am blowing off the rocks with a turkey baster and out comes this guy onto the sand. Looks like a plate coral, I flipped it upside down and there is white skeleton underneath. So I have not had a plate coral in any of my systems in over 2 years, the one I had was in a different tank and was completely different long tentacle plate. The skeleton is approximately ½" diameter but when inflated a little bigger.

15822748415_db5b7d1cf8_c.jpg

Could it be something other than a plate coral?

So the tank has been up for a year now, haven't added any rock or corals for a good 6 months. If you remember I used dry rock. It had to have come in on a frag plug.

Cool, a little plate coral. Cant't think of anything else that looks similar.

Neither can I, so it must have been an offspring from another plate and sat on the frag plug for at least 6 months, probably more.

Neither can I, so it must have been an offspring from another plate and sat on the frag plug for at least 6 months, probably more.

Quite likely, they are known as 'Zombie' corals (along with Leptastrea), so they can just pop up whenever conditions allow them to grow.

Speaking of this, corals can be so resilient. I found a tiny Acan polyp a few months ago of a type that was 'wiped out' in an early brown jelly issue !~5 years ago). I was able to save it from being destroyed by my nasty Red Planet and it's now a mini-colony of three polyps. Cool beans :)

Quite likely, they are known as 'Zombie' corals (along with Leptastrea), so they can just pop up whenever conditions allow them to grow.

Speaking of this, corals can be so resilient. I found a tiny Acan polyp a few months ago of a type that was 'wiped out' in an early brown jelly issue !~5 years ago). I was able to save it from being destroyed by my nasty Red Planet and it's now a mini-colony of three polyps. Cool beans :)

Yes I agree, I have also had a few corals come back from the dead years later, makes the hobby more interesting for sure :)

So I am blowing off the rocks with a turkey baster and out comes this guy onto the sand. Looks like a plate coral, I flipped it upside down and there is white skeleton underneath. So I have not had a plate coral in any of my systems in over 2 years, the one I had was in a different tank and was completely different long tentacle plate. The skeleton is approximately ½" diameter but when inflated a little bigger.

15822748415_db5b7d1cf8_c.jpg

Could it be something other than a plate coral?

So the tank has been up for a year now, haven't added any rock or corals for a good 6 months. If you remember I used dry rock. It had to have come in on a frag plug.

Looks like a little colonial cycloseris/diaseris. Very common hitchhiker on indo-pacific rocks and about as hardy as a kenya tree. The way to to tell is cut it in half. If it regenerates into perfect circles its a cyclo, more oblong shaped its a diaseris. I think I have a couple behind my rockwork still.

Archived