inTank Media Baskets

NanoTopia's ADA 30c [ FLIR ]

NanoTopia

Your spiral coral intro macro zooms/pans are out of this world! I'm falling in love with their spirals and colors. Did you pick up a rail, or are your hands actually that steady?? You know, the pillar portion of this reef has an almost temperate feel to it. Pretty cool illusion. ;-)

I love how your eye is so detailed for things :)

First, the entire video was shot with an iPhone 5s, I changed the LED spectrum to ~8000K for filming, I use my fingers and glass for the pans along with stabilization in post edit, no rails. All editing was done with Apple iMovie standard. I have to say he spirals are some of the most interesting corals I have owned. I expected them to slowly decline over time in this tank but to my surprise I have almost ½ inch growth on each of them and PE is out of this world now, especially after feeding. They get little flow and mysis shrimp daily, they seem to be happy with that. I don't think this is a hard coral to care for really, I think more people should explore these corals.

The pillar is evolving slowly as corals take hold, it will be interesting to see this reef in a year from now. I see what you mean about the temperate look to it, I was just trying to utilize the space I had to the fullest :)

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Polarcollision

I love how your eye is so detailed for things :)

First, the entire video was shot with an iPhone 5s, I changed the LED spectrum to ~8000K for filming, I use my fingers and glass for the pans along with stabilization in post edit, no rails. All editing was done with Apple iMovie standard. I have to say he spirals are some of the most interesting corals I have owned. I expected them to slowly decline over time in this tank but to my surprise I have almost ½ inch growth on each of them and PE is out of this world now, especially after feeding. They get little flow and mysis shrimp daily, they seem to be happy with that. I don't think this is a hard coral to care for really, I think more people should explore these corals.

The pillar is evolving slowly as corals take hold, it will be interesting to see this reef in a year from now. I see what you mean about the temperate look to it, I was just trying to utilize the space I had to the fullest :)

You are giving me ideas for filling time. Nice work getting so much quality out of an iPhone and iMovie. I'd have never guessed!

You maaaay see a spiral coral pop up in my tank in the not to distant future. :-)

Mr. Microscope

9924721923_033b37fb10_z.jpg

How did you connect the ball valves to the bulkheads? I'm trying to figure out some plumbing (going from bulkhead to union) and the only solution I could come up with is to use one of these nipples:

http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/schedule-80-nipples.html

I think you need a link from inner diameter to inner diameter of each component. Is that right? I feel like this might be an obtuse solution. Is there a more elegant/efficient one?

Thanks Christine!

How did you connect the ball valves to the bulkheads? I'm trying to figure out some plumbing (going from bulkhead to union) and the only solution I could come up with is to use one of these nipples:

http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/schedule-80-nipples.html

I think you need a link from inner diameter to inner diameter of each component. Is that right? I feel like this might be an obtuse solution. Is there a more elegant/efficient one?

Thanks Christine!

Hi Mr.M,

What you have linked should work. The bulkhead is thread only, and the Cepex ball valve comes with both slip and thread options in the box. So you work thread-thread and the nipple will work as a junction between the two components. If you are working ¾" for example, you need the ¾" threaded nipple and cement. :)

I also cut down the two ¾" bulkheads to reduce the total length of my fittings (optional if space is an issue).

9923165023_271155799c_c.jpg

The spiral corals are very nice, indeed! I might have to try one of these one of these days :)

Thanks, they are cool. Felicia's tank turned me onto these. I always was told they are too hard to keep so I never bothered with them, but it simply isn't true, these things are growing like crazy !

Mr. Microscope

Hi Mr.M,

What you have linked should work. The bulkhead is thread only, and the Cepex ball valve comes with both slip and thread options in the box. So you work thread-thread and the nipple will work as a junction between the two components. If you are working ¾" for example, you need the ¾" threaded nipple and cement. :)

I also cut down the two ¾" bulkheads to reduce the total length of my fittings (optional if space is an issue).

Thank you! So, you used one of these nipples between your bulkhead and ball valve?

I thought with threaded pieces you don't need to use cement, just plumber's Teflon tape?

Thank you! So, you used one of these nipples between your bulkhead and ball valve?

I thought with threaded pieces you don't need to use cement, just plumber's Teflon tape?

No I didn't use the nipple you are taking about but something similar. I would not trust plumbers tape personally, but I guess it is a possibility.

Wow great video! Corals look nice and healthy. Awesome vid!!

Just stunning!

Thank you :)

Mr. Microscope

No I didn't use the nipple you are taking about but something similar. I would not trust plumbers tape personally, but I guess it is a possibility.

Okay, so did you use cement and a piece of pipe between your bulkhead and ball valve?

Okay, so did you use cement and a piece of pipe between your bulkhead and ball valve?

Absolutely, I do on every joint.

SquishyFishy

Been watching your videos, girl, you are truly a master! One of the most accomplished reefers on these boards.

I have absolutely no hope that I will ever attain your expertise.

I only have 2 words for your salty realm: absolutely incredible.

Been watching your videos, girl, you are truly a master! One of the most accomplished reefers on these boards.

I have absolutely no hope that I will ever attain your expertise.

I only have 2 words for your salty realm: absolutely incredible.

Awe, thank you Squishy, you are too kind :)

I have learned quite a bit from this build, I am always learning something new. You are a good reefer if you are learning, but I never expect to know even half of what there is to know in this vast hobby, not in a lifetime.

SquishyFishy

Spiral Gorgs....are these Photosynthetic or the hard kind??? And where do you get them...been looking, can't find a source online.

Spiral Gorgs....are these Photosynthetic or the hard kind??? And where do you get them...been looking, can't find a source online.

Spiral corals are actually in the same grouping as black corals, deep water generally. They are photosynthetic however I believe they rely primarily on plankton as a food source. They are very good at catching pray, their tentacles are very sticky and always out. They seem to like small mysis shrimp and cyclopeeze (frozen) and will even take small pellets. If fed regularly growth is good.

I had a LFS order them from Bali for me, if you have a LFS that orders maricultured corals from Bali you should be able to get spirals.

Oh and what are your Nanobox settings for that video???

My nanobox is custom with 4 channels, I don't recall the settings exactly, I did adjust the LEDs to a warmer spectrum for filming, maybe 8000K roughly. The camera records colours more realistically with the warmer settings.

• 4 weeks later...

Little Update

The tank has been on auto pilot for a few months, most corals are doing well especially the spiral corals and blastomussa. I have not needed to add any chemical filtration, despite heavy feedings the nutrients are under control. Still just a filter sock, skimmer, and GAC. Here's a few snaps from tonight, the spiral's get all happy after the evening feeding.

13930733215_90d55b6499_c.jpg

13930777733_c4a94a1a6f_c.jpg

13907620082_05d8c81d54_c.jpg

13907619646_fdf0a95fcb_c.jpg

13930782873_670277971b_c.jpg

13907624052_c069905088_c.jpg

stunning.

remarkable.

extraordinary.

inspirational!

Adjectives! So many adjectives!

*dies from it being too awesome*

i was debating on listing a lot more. but it would get a bit obsessive and obnoxious. haha

Thanks guys :wub:

Beautiful happy spirals.

Thanks Kat, initially I was just hoping to keep them alive but they are actually doing well and growing like weeds. So many people told me for years not to bother with spirals, they are too hard to keep, rubbish! They are excellent corals and add a different dimension to any reef tank.

They do not need high flow.

They are NOT Gorgonia spp.

They do well under 20K lighting.

They do NOT need special feedings, they just catch various foods at fish feeding time.

They are NOT expensive.

:)

Thanks for visiting Kat, I paid a visit to your thread yesterday and your tank looks amazing - as usual :wub:

Archived