SaltCritters.com

NanoTopia's ADA 30c [ FLIR ]

NanoTopia

Nice idea with the white overflow box. It certainly is going to attract algae...but then again just about any color would. If will def fit your scheme better though.

What are you going to use for return outflow?

I have had black overflow boxes and clear ones, they both collect algae so no difference. The return out flow is hard to describe, I will be posting some pics from a model I am making soon, this will explain everything better than I can with words right now. What I can tell you is there are 3 return pipes and they will be integrated into the rock work, you will not see them. Wait for the pics, much better :)

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
BeardedReeferLLC

This is what you should look into a local reefer is using this and its pretty impressive.

Local Reefers Pics Installed.

dl4hF9H.jpg

ChW0qhy.jpg

I am familiar with these, way to obtrusive for my build but they are cool and less obtrusive than many other systems. Thanks for sharing it with me :)

BeardedReeferLLC

I am familiar with these, way to obtrusive for my build but they are cool and less obtrusive than many other systems. Thanks for sharing it with me :)

Fair enough, just wanted to share. :P

I have been playing around with a scape mock-up. The rendering is not what the rock will look like, just an idea of a possible shape.

Note: The 3 return power heads are in the rock near the top, see them. I will be using dry rock rubble (shown below) and epoxy to build around the return lines so you will only see the ends basically. In the end, it should look like one piece of rock, porous and much more real looking than the rendering does.

Dry Rock Rubble sizes vary between 3" and 1" roughly.
9095762392_a5cedfb0da_z.jpg
Here is the scape shown from 5 sides. The markers only show possible coral locations, of course this will change with the final product. I am also thinking the overall heaviness or thickness should be reduced a little so imagine it a little thinner overall. You can see the mock overflow box in the back as well. Scale is 1:1.

9093521307_a5a181cf5a_z.jpg

9095753526_b3da6ed1d0_z.jpg

9095760606_5d2c5f3b6d_z.jpg

9093515107_3f187775e1_z.jpg

9095731602_a1cc18872c_z.jpg

Now I know people are going to have questions about the return so I will try and explain briefly what's going on.

I had originally planned to have the 3 return lines (which stem from one using Loc-Line) much lower down in the tank and the rock work not nearly as high as it is. There is an obvious issue with that which I was aware of when I thought it up. The issue is syphon back into the sump when the return pump is switched off, this would overflow the sump and cause a flood. My idea was to use a good check valve to prevent this from happening but later came to my senses and realized... check valves FAIL eventually. This was not a risk I wanted to take given the amount of electricals in the stand. So, believing everything in the system should be redundant and fail safe, I decided to raise the return lines to a point that the sump could handle when the return pump is off. I did decide to keep the check valve in the system regardless to prevent a water level decrease when the return pump is switched off, assuming it doesn't fail, but as I mentioned, if it fails the sump can handle the increase in water without flooding. The display tank would loose 1.5" of water, no more than 1 gallon. I also have a ball valve connected to the return as a means to service the check valve.

Please feel free to ask any questions but I will be explaining more about the plumbing in detail as the weeks progress which should clarify things a little.

"If you want to work outside of the box when designing a system you have to be willing to take chances and innovate a little"

with all the little stick markers, i'm assuming this is going to be SPS dominant...?

(i hope) fingerscrossed

Not this time, LPS dominant. Just thinking out loud here but... Acan, Favia, Blasto, Zoa, Paly, Monti incrusting, Gorgonians to name a few.

Undecided at this point but it will be full and colourful.

TheKleinReef

Not this time, LPS dominant. Just thinking out loud here but... Acan, Favia, Blasto, Zoa, Paly, Monti incrusting, gorgonians to name a few.

Undecided at this point but it will be full and colourful.

well your little sps shaped markers threw me off!

regardless it's gonna look IN FREAKING SANE.

well your little sps shaped markers threw me off!

regardless it's gonna look IN FREAKING SANE.

Haha, sorry to confuse, thanks, I'm really looking forward to getting this thing full of life but I know it will be a while yet. The tank is what's holding me up right now, I think they will be shipping to our supplier soon, but I guess it comes cargo container ship :(

Drift Monkey

I have had black overflow boxes and clear ones, they both collect algae so no difference. The return out flow is hard to describe, I will be posting some pics from a model I am making soon, this will explain everything better than I can with words right now. What I can tell you is there are 3 return pipes and they will be integrated into the rock work, you will not see them. Wait for the pics, much better :)

Interesting. I woulda thought you would go lily pipe since you're all about the ADA. I can barely see mine...:lol:

TheKleinReef

Haha, sorry to confuse, thanks, I'm really looking forward to getting this thing full of life but I know it will be a while yet. The tank is what's holding me up right now, I think they will be shipping to our supplier soon, but I guess it comes cargo container ship :(

there isn't any other suppliers? i feel like ADA tanks are popping up all over on this forum.

Interesting. I woulda thought you would go lily pipe since you're all about the ADA. I can barely see mine... :lol:

I'm going to be looking at 500 GPH, hopefully more, I need an overflow that can handle that...and...I want NOTHING going over the tank, no cords, pipes, anything. I will do the durso on both 3/4" drains so it should be quite.

there isn't any other suppliers? i feel like ADA tanks are popping up all over on this forum.

In Canada there is one ADA distributor, I have talked to them, they have ordered it for me, just have to wait. Shipments into Canada from Japan are every 3-4 months, I just missed the last one. Because it's a tank, it's almost impossible to order from the USA, well I could but the crate and shipping would be astronomical. I'm expecting the tank in a couple of weeks, hopefully sooner.

TheKleinReef

In Canada there is one ADA distributor, I have talked to them, they have ordered it for me, just have to wait. Shipments into Canada from Japan are every 3-4 months, I just missed the last one. Because it's a tank, it's almost impossible to order from the USA, well I could but the crate and shipping would be astronomical. I'm expecting the tank in a couple of weeks, hopefully sooner.

i forgot you're located in canada. DERP.

BOOM!

9124668979_c89a39d917_c.jpg

Chrome all in my unit

9126886144_1ced6d9456_c.jpg

:D

-D

Stupid question but will the chrome rust in the long run period?

Always been a fan of your builds and lighting design. Great job and sexy fixture!

Stupid question but will the chrome rust in the long run period?

Always been a fan of your builds and lighting design. Great job and sexy fixture!

Comes with a life time warranty right Dave? LOL.

I will let Dave answer...

Honestly it should not. There is no exposed parts that are bare metal. Of course time will tell but in my experience I have not seen it. Now if Christine is dunking this in water every day... ;)

Thanks for the support!

-Dave

Honestly it should not. There is no exposed parts that are bare metal. Of course time will tell but in my experience I have not seen it. Now if Christine is dunking this in water every day... ;)

Thanks for the support!

-Dave

Guess I should have mentioned I will be mounting it underwater, LOL.

Dave, my guess is it would oxidize if salt water came into direct contact with it over time, it might get splashed near the bottom 3rd but I am thinking a thin coat of food safe silicone grease on the bottom 3rd might do the trick just in case. I will look at it when I get it as see if I think that is even necessary. Any ETA data you wish to share? :happydance:

Looks great so far.

Christine

Nice scape mock up it reminds me of my Spec's scape, perfect for a cube, perhaps leaned back a bit more to prevent overhang shading, or you can just slightly tilt the light.

Nice scape mock up it reminds me of my Spec's scape, perfect for a cube, perhaps leaned back a bit more to prevent overhang shading, or you can just slightly tilt the light.

Thanks, I think I will have to tilt the light a bit and lean the scape back a bit. I may also shorten the 1/4" Loc-Line by one link on each of the three out takes, this will allow for a smaller top section altogether.

Thanks for your comments :)

Archived