Top Shelf Aquatics

NanoTopia's ADA 30c [ FLIR ]

NanoTopia

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nanotopia - I can build you a light with custom spectrum and have a controller as well. The controller is external ( like AI ) and is open source.

Any who, shoot me a message if you would like or email.

david@nano-box-reef.com

-Dave

Kfmmartin19
Nanotopia - I can build you a light with custom spectrum and have a controller as well. The controller is external ( like AI ) and is open source.

david@nano-box-reef.com

-Dave

Do it.

:)

a 3 sided internal overflow box with dursos? ((i'm assuming you're going to drill the bottom of the tank)) isn't that gonna be huge? why not do something small like the glass holes? or something external? i'd keep the display cleaner.

or i might be missing something.

edit: just checked the first post plans again. it doesn't look too bad. it could be sleeker though :P

I am avoiding anything coming over the glass, pipes, wires, fish hopefully. It will be slick, you will see, in time, this thing is a lot of work, I will be drilling 3 holes in the bottom of the ADA, yes 3 :)

Well MACNA is about 3 months away, so if you can wait, there may be some new contenders :)

Wait 3 months?, maybe but I hope not. Everything about this build is custom in some way or another, I think whatever I decide on is going to be customized in some way or fashion.

I have to admit I want to see a White R420R Nano.

Have you considered a custom led from Dave? His housings are retail quality and he can customize anything for you (housing color, patterns, housing style, drivers, controllers, spectrum, etc)

The components look like they can be disassembled and painted, but I have not had my hands on one so can't say for sure. I lay in bed one night figuring out if it could be done. Paint adds a layer, the components may not fit together if things are tight. This would mean stripping the existing paint off and applying a primer and new paint (white). Void any warranty and hope it all functions together. Hummmm, that's a lot of crazy work.

Amazing build! Love the 48" tall stand too!

+1 for Dave and NanoBox, his products look beautiful!

Thank you, 48" with the tank another 12" makes it at perfect viewing level...60"

You shouldn't have to break your back to look at your tank, LOL.

david@nano-box-reef.com

-Dave

We Talk :)

TheKleinReef

I am avoiding anything coming over the glass, pipes, wires, fish hopefully. It will be slick, you will see, in time, this thing is a lot of work, I will be drilling 3 holes in the bottom of the ADA, yes 3 :)

My expectations are high ;)

Million dollar question, I keep going back and forth on this.

Here's where I am at today on this:

Ai Nano

WHAT I LIKE: The unit has a small foot print and has a suitable stylish bracket (that would need to be painted). The unit is white which matches my theme. The control functions (with the add-on controller) are very good with all the simulations. The unit has a good operating history and reputation, Cree LED's and a FAN to keep them cool. PAR is very good. Price is in budget.

WHAT I DON'T LIKE: Mainly the spectrum offered, that's important to me. This is the sole reason I am undecided.

Razor Nano

WHAT I LIKE: I like the 16K spectrum offered on this unit. Cree LED's (mainly). Price is in budget.

WHAT I DON'T LIKE: The colour (black does not fit my build theme), Size, it seems a bit large, it will fit over the foot print of my tank but I fear it will be too much of a focal point overall, distracting from the tank. I am not sold on the tank mount for this fixture, looks cheap and flimsy, I have read it cannot support the fixtures weight. Control functions are a bit limited but still offer the basics I absolutely need. I wish this unit had a FAN, there is no way to know if temperature is exceeding operating levels. This unit has only been out for a short time, it doesn't have much of an operating history which makes it a bit of a gamble. If I went with this unit I would have to modify it's colour, not sure if that can be done realistically or not, but I am willing to try OR maybe Maxspect would like to make me a one of a kind CUSTOM WHITE Nano Razor?.

Other options: None that I have found so far, I think I have explored most of my options. I have looked into other lights that could work but they all lack control options I need, and to add them would be cumbersome and drive the overall cost over my budget. A compact, clean looking, control flexible, powerful, affordable, and reliable fixture with the right spectrum is what I need, to date the only two units I have found that are close are the Ai Nano and the Nano Razor.

Not what I want to hear :(

Don't forget the Razor uses newer, better Crees

My expectations are high ;)

That's why your here :)

Don't forget the Razor uses newer, better Crees

Better ! I like better, Jedi says Cree sucks, frankly I'm confused. I thought Cree was highly regarded in the industry. Last thing I want to do here is start a debate on LED's.

I have feeling I'm going to end up making this fixture myself! Please no, I'm tired !

jedimasterben

Better ! I like better, Jedi says Cree sucks, frankly I'm confused. I thought Cree was highly regarded in the industry. Last thing I want to do here is start a debate on LED's.

I have feeling I'm going to end up making this fixture myself! Please no, I'm tired !

Cree competes in the parking lot lighting field, where it is dominated by HPS bulbs with basically one color - yellow, so anything is better than that when it comes to color. Bridgelux and Philips are geared toward interior lighting and higher color rendition. High CRI Cree LEDs are a rarity, but 80+ CRI Bridglux and Philips are commonplace and easily attainable.

Dave uses exclusively Rebels (from Philips) in his fixtures, save for Epistar for the violets (I believe Epistar, anyway, that's usually what everyone goes with).

Cree competes in the parking lot lighting field, where it is dominated by HPS bulbs with basically one color - yellow, so anything is better than that when it comes to color. Bridgelux and Philips are geared toward interior lighting and higher color rendition. High CRI Cree LEDs are a rarity, but 80+ CRI Bridglux and Philips are commonplace and easily attainable.

Dave uses exclusively Rebels (from Philips) in his fixtures, save for Epistar for the violets (I believe Epistar, anyway, that's usually what everyone goes with).

Jedi, thanks for the information, what you think of this config on 4 channels? 13 led's total.

Channel One
2 x Warm white 3000nm
Channel two
3 x Cool white 7000nm
Channel three
2 x Blue
4 x Royal Blue
Channel four
2 x Violet 420nm
jedimasterben

Jedi, thanks for the information, what you think of this config on 4 channels? 13 led's total.

Channel One
2 x Warm white 3000nm
Channel two
3 x Cool white 7000nm
Channel three
2 x Blue
4 x Royal Blue
Channel four
2 x Violet 420nm

What kind of LEDs? And for the main tank? Still shifted very much towards white, final color temperature will be very low.

I am thinking NW instead of CW and one less. Add one royal or regular blue. Jedi - All Rebel ES and violets are epi.

-Dave

NanoBox LED with controller ordered !

Lighting issue is solved.

I went with almost the same led array as the Nano Razor has, difference is I will be able to control 13 leds with 4 channels instead of just the two on the Razor (Control Freak) :)

Dave is going to work his magic and make me one awesome light fixture and controller! Full review after I get it, promise.

jedimasterben

I am thinking NW instead of CW and one less. Add one royal or regular blue. Jedi - All Rebel ES and violets are epi.

-Dave

Wasn't sure if she had picked your light or not, I know you do good work :)

NanoBox LED with controller ordered !

Lighting is issue is solved.

I went with almost the same led array as the Nano Razor has, difference is I will be able to control 13 leds with 4 channels instead of just the two on the Razor (Control Freak) :)

Dave is going to work his magic and make me one awesome light fixture and controller! Full review after I get it, promise.

I'll hold you to it.

Wasn't sure if she had picked your light or not, I know you do good work :)

I'll hold you to it.

Okay Jedi

Have Dave put some mini T5's on there to supplement the LED's....... :)

Now your talking

good choice. youre gonna be amazed with the light output and quality :D

Thanks JR, I have read the reviews, this should be just what I needed for the reef. I'm basically getting what I wanted, spectrum, control, size, colour, quality.

Your light better not push my fuge light off schedule!!

:P

No worries Brad, I told Dave it was no huge rush for mine.

Kfmmartin19
NanoBox LED with controller ordered ! Lighting issue is solved. I went with almost the same led array as the Nano Razor has, difference is I will be able to control 13 leds with 4 channels instead of just the two on the Razor (Control Freak) :) Dave is going to work his magic and make me one awesome light fixture and controller! Full review after I get it, promise.
Oh no she didn't.

;)

Nano sapiens

This looks like a good choice and all that control should make for one happy camper. I'd like to know how quiet the unit runs, so I'm looking forward to the review.

This looks like a good choice and all that control should make for one happy camper. I'd like to know how quiet the unit runs, so I'm looking forward to the review.

Yes, I like the ability to tweak my lighting, and not just on two channels. 4 channels should be all the control I need. I would imagine Dave will use a 40mm fan, shouldn't be noisy at all but I will be sure to give a full review after I get it. I will try it over my 3 gallon for a while until my my 7 gallon build is ready for it. This will give me a chance to learn the controller and play with spectrum a bit.

Archived