Coral Vue Hydros

NanoTopia's ADA 30c [ FLIR ]

NanoTopia

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Finishing is Done

8907250855_275c7d17e6_z.jpg

Now staining and clear coats for the next week.

8907249733_d6f3c5b17d_z.jpg

White stain is on, took three coats to get it to about 80% opaque, you can still see some wood through the colour. I never used this pickling stain before so I was worried what it would turn out like, pleased so far. Now the clear coats, and lots of them!

One coat of white stain Three coats of white stain

8917767809_4931266c94.jpg8917770931_06c4c6d02e.jpg
Close-up of the base

8917779923_beb5a98de1.jpg

I actually really liked the look of the single coat, always been a fan of that 'white washed' look. Looking really good though, loving the build.

I actually really liked the look of the single coat, always been a fan of that 'white washed' look. Looking really good though, loving the build.

One coat was not white enough for what I wanted (white theme), you can still see quite a bit of the wood grain, doesn't show up as well in the photograph. The single coat looked good, just not what I was going for with this build. I imagine things will change again when I start adding clear coats to it, can't wait to see :)

Had a bit of catching up to do , and HOLY SUMP !!!!

your work is truly amazing , can't wait to see what comes next.

Had a bit of catching up to do , and HOLY SUMP !!!!

your work is truly amazing , can't wait to see what comes next.

Thanks Bryan, once I get the clear coats on the stand it will be time to start installing some equipment, the cool part. I am still waiting on the display tank from Japan, the plumbing is also waiting on the tank. Still lots of work to do before we see water :)

Thanks for following

The good news is the tank stand is finished, still need to attach the hardware.

The BAD news is the urethane made the stain go a creamy-gold colour, still white but more like a cream white. I actually don't mind the look, so I guess it's not that bad. Me being an amateur, never fully tested the two together, well I did but not 5 coats of urethane. "Clear" apparently means "kinda clear" after 3 coats on white, LOL.

Cream is the New White... :lol:

8941662679_97d426d4da.jpg

8941647763_ff1053f728.jpg

I put this little video together to document the progress so far, part 1 of what will likely be 3 parts. It's an overview of whats transpired thus far in 4 minutes :)

Stand looks great, never mind the cream.... Hmmm, but knowing the perfectionist you....I dunno :)

This is a bit of a "DOH!" moment, but I'm really diggin' the height of that stand. Really neat and a super space saver!

...i may have to copy this build! Nice builds as always! GL

Thanks, you may copy it if you have the time to build it, it's a heck of a lot of work !

Stand looks great, never mind the cream.... Hmmm, but knowing the perfectionist you....I dunno :)

This is a bit of a "DOH!" moment, but I'm really diggin' the height of that stand. Really neat and a super space saver!

Thanks, I am glad you like it. I wanted everything to fit in the stand, and it will, ever so snuggly :)

Is the overflow plan still a secret?

Actually, it's the return that's the secret for now, the overflow is pretty straight forward. I will be making a three sided overflow box that will fit around two 3/4 bulkheads. I am trying to construct two custom durso standpipes that will also fit in the tight space of the box, not easy as standard plumbing fittings are way too big. I have the 3/4 SCH80 fittings just have to get creative with them, out comes the Dremel tool again :) I will explain what I do here with pictures when I get to that part of the build.

The good news is the tank stand is finished, still need to attach the hardware.
The BAD news is the urethane made the stain go a creamy-gold colour, still white but more like a cream white. I actually don't mind the look, so I guess it's not that bad. Me being an amateur, never fully tested the two together, well I did but not 5 coats of urethane. "Clear" apparently means "kinda clear" after 3 coats on white, LOL.

Beware, it will probably turn more yellow as it ages.

Going with the Razor Nano

Or the crappy AI?

Sweet stand wish I could make something of that beauty!

Million dollar question, I keep going back and forth on this.

Here's where I am at today on this:

Ai Nano

WHAT I LIKE: The unit has a small foot print and has a suitable stylish bracket (that would need to be painted). The unit is white which matches my theme. The control functions (with the add-on controller) are very good with all the simulations. The unit has a good operating history and reputation, Cree LED's and a FAN to keep them cool. PAR is very good. Price is in budget.

WHAT I DON'T LIKE: Mainly the spectrum offered, that's important to me. This is the sole reason I am undecided.

Razor Nano

WHAT I LIKE: I like the 16K spectrum offered on this unit. Cree LED's (mainly). Price is in budget.

WHAT I DON'T LIKE: The colour (black does not fit my build theme), Size, it seems a bit large, it will fit over the foot print of my tank but I fear it will be too much of a focal point overall, distracting from the tank. I am not sold on the tank mount for this fixture, looks cheap and flimsy, I have read it cannot support the fixtures weight. Control functions are a bit limited but still offer the basics I absolutely need. I wish this unit had a FAN, there is no way to know if temperature is exceeding operating levels. This unit has only been out for a short time, it doesn't have much of an operating history which makes it a bit of a gamble. If I went with this unit I would have to modify it's colour, not sure if that can be done realistically or not, but I am willing to try OR maybe Maxspect would like to make me a one of a kind CUSTOM WHITE Nano Razor?.

Other options: None that I have found so far, I think I have explored most of my options. I have looked into other lights that could work but they all lack control options I need, and to add them would be cumbersome and drive the overall cost over my budget. A compact, clean looking, control flexible, powerful, affordable, and reliable fixture with the right spectrum is what I need, to date the only two units I have found that are close are the Ai Nano and the Nano Razor.

Beware, it will probably turn more yellow as it ages.

Not what I want to hear :(

TheKleinReef

Thanks, you may copy it if you have the time to build it, it's a heck of a lot of work !

Thanks, I am glad you like it. I wanted everything to fit in the stand, and it will, ever so snuggly :)

Actually, it's the return that's the secret for now, the overflow is pretty straight forward. I will be making a three sided overflow box that will fit around two 3/4 bulkheads. I am trying to construct two custom durso standpipes that will also fit in the tight space of the box, not easy as standard plumbing fittings are way too big. I have the 3/4 SCH80 fittings just have to get creative with them, out comes the Dremel tool again :) I will explain what I do here with pictures when I get to that part of the build.

a 3 sided internal overflow box with dursos? ((i'm assuming you're going to drill the bottom of the tank)) isn't that gonna be huge? why not do something small like the glass holes? or something external? i'd keep the display cleaner.

or i might be missing something.

edit: just checked the first post plans again. it doesn't look too bad. it could be sleeker though :P

I have to admit I want to see a White R420R Nano.

Have you considered a custom led from Dave? His housings are retail quality and he can customize anything for you (housing color, patterns, housing style, drivers, controllers, spectrum, etc)

Archived