Cultivated Reef

NanoTopia's ADA 30c [ FLIR ]

NanoTopia

I've never ordered from BRS but I see a lot of Canadians doing it. Do you bring your shipment direct into Canada or jump across the border to pick up at a US box?

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I love the planning going into this build Christine. It's one of my favourite parts :D

I've never ordered from BRS but I see a lot of Canadians doing it. Do you bring your shipment direct into Canada or jump across the border to pick up at a US box?

Just going to add that I have ordered from them twice now. Shipping takes a little while as Christine mentioned, as they only ship to Canada on Fridays. They pack really well though. I ordered my RO/DI from them, countless knick knacks and my dry rock (eco-saver) Shipping and their "Internastion" tax makes costs more than other places, but for the few items only they offer, I would order again. :)

As Jordon says, I have mine delivered to the door, they ship UPS and pay the broker fees. Shipping is not cheap and it take a while to get the order. It is worth it if you order many things. BRS has a few things I cannot find in Canada, being as picky as I am I am willing to pay the extra shipping when there is no choice. Great service all around, I recommend them 100%.

What about like a fish need it halide?

Or a build my led full spec strip? Just ordered one for my 30c.

Not sure I follow what you are asking here Brad but building your own LED fixture is one way to get the spectrum you want, one draw back is lack of control function. By the time you add a controller to a DIY fixture the price ends up being as much as a commercially available fixture in many cases.

Hi Nanotopia,

Nice to see a local win a TOTM...! Regarding your build, you should have a look a local jewelry store for some possble inspiration to your new nano tank build.

They have a website rodanjewellers.ca out in brentwood burnaby..if you are our there, have a look... they also have a youtube of their premise which will catch a glimpse of their point of purchase displays; I even like some of their custom single lighted LEDs on the corners for some of their slightly larger rectangular glass displays - neat idea to kill off the harsh shawdows or overhanging montis... maybe do a anti- apogee effect. The display case they have which is more like your ADA cube idea is raised on a steel post... if you do your build with the overflow drilled in the middle, the drain and even return can be built here... just pile some rock around it to cover it as much as possible. I know of a guy who did this on a 55g and the tank is viewable 360 degress. The bottom , while be your sump.. overall, the visible tank will be quite high but very unique in my opinion... you will have to do some weigh calculations of course to see how much metal is needed to do this kind of floating post build.

regs

msjboy

Hi Nanotopia,

Nice to see a local win a TOTM...! Regarding your build, you should have a look a local jewelry store for some possble inspiration to your new nano tank build.

They have a website rodanjewellers.ca out in brentwood burnaby..if you are our there, have a look... they also have a youtube of their premise which will catch a glimpse of their point of purchase displays; I even like some of their custom single lighted LEDs on the corners for some of their slightly larger rectangular glass displays - neat idea to kill off the harsh shawdows or overhanging montis... maybe do a anti- apogee effect. The display case they have which is more like your ADA cube idea is raised on a steel post... if you do your build with the overflow drilled in the middle, the drain and even return can be built here... just pile some rock around it to cover it as much as possible. I know of a guy who did this on a 55g and the tank is viewable 360 degress. The bottom , while be your sump.. overall, the visible tank will be quite high but very unique in my opinion... you will have to do some weigh calculations of course to see how much metal is needed to do this kind of floating post build.

regs

msjboy

Thanks msjboy, I will check it out :)

• 2 weeks later...
NanoTopia

Received the IM Aqua Gadget Skimmate skimmer. It's a little flimsy overall, the air intake hose supplied is going in the garbage, cheapest quality hose I have ever seen LOL, easy fix. I can see that some minor mods are going to be needed here but I have not plugged it in so time will tell.

Looks like they have changed the design of the out take, the new design restricts the adjustability of the height with the bracket supplied. The packaging has not been changed yet, LOL. I guess it reduced the footprint slightly but it does not allow for much height adjustment at all (maybe an inch and a half). I may have to mod this as well. :sigh:

The footprint is small on this skimmer, works well for my small sump design.

8720128751_86eba51f0d_z.jpg
8720129293_ab903112d7_z.jpg

Received the IM Aqua Gadget Skimmate skimmer. It's a little flimsy overall, the air intake hose supplied is going in the garbage, cheapest quality hose I have ever seen LOL, easy fix. I can see that some minor mods are going to be needed here but I have not plugged it in so time will tell.

Looks like they have changed the design of the out take, the new design restricts the adjustability of the height with the bracket supplied. The packaging has not been changed yet, LOL. I guess it reduced the footprint slightly but it does not allow for much height adjustment at all (maybe an inch and a half). I may have to mod this as well. :sigh:

i wanna see that in action

NanoTopia

i wanna see that in action

I do as well but I don't have a place to test it now, it will have to be later. From what I see so far, this thing is going to produce some major micro bubbles into the sump, hopefully it will be manageable. I will keep you posted when I do test it JR :)

So I know you were undecided about the Lighting, but have you given any more though between the AI nano and Razor nano?

NanoTopia

So I know you were undecided about the Lighting, but have you given any more though between the AI nano and Razor nano?

I am still waiting for some reviews to roll in on the Nano Razor before I decide. I still have about 2 months before I will need a fixture, by then hopefully some first hand reviews will be kicking around :)

Also waiting to see it in action. Lol

Very close to picking it up for my 16 gallon. :)

Made some progress yesterday on the stand, need to attach the door yet and add a few things before interior primer sealing. I stuck the sump (not completed) in to gauge the space better, everything fits but it's going to be tight, what I expected.

Next will be the finishing, wood veneer on all external surfaces.

The hole on the right side of the cabinet is for a DA controller display, mounted from inside. I decided to do this so the tanks Temp and control can be monitored without having to open the door.

Please excuse the messy garage :)

8738821026_b1d5b5b372_z.jpg
8737704279_66f9f0ae7d_z.jpg
More pics coming when I get the door on :)

Wow! :o That looks great so far. The cutout for the DA controller is a good idea.

What color/type of veneer are you using?

Great looking stand! I've been thinking about making a new stand for my picO, this time take my time to build it the way I truly wanted it (false wall to hide cords, cutout for rkl, shelf for additives, ect.).

Also make sure and write a review on the skimmer once you get it going, I want to see if I can get it to fit in the back of my picO.

Also thought I'd add that I am running the Razor Nano over my tank, I absolutely love the light. It's sleek and sexy looking, the spectrum it puts out it phenomenal, and the built in controller (same as full size) is simple and effective. Only thing that could be a "problem" is the tank bracket it comes with isn't very pretty, in fact I didn't even take it out of the box. I called Chris@coralvue and he sent me the pendent hanging kit for the full size razor and it is 100% compatible.

There aren't many reviews on it yet but I can assure you that it was well worth the money. I switched from an AI nano almost a week ago and I can already see better coloration in my corals. Hope this helps :)

Thanks Jordon, Million dollar question, probably a birch veneer painted white and lacquered, still undecided :)

Makes me want to throw all my store bought stands out the second floor window!

Do it and build your dream stand :)

Great looking stand! I've been thinking about making a new stand for my picO, this time take my time to build it the way I truly wanted it (false wall to hide cords, cutout for rkl, shelf for additives, ect.).

Also make sure and write a review on the skimmer once you get it going, I want to see if I can get it to fit in the back of my picO.

Thanks, it's a lot of work but I think it will be worth the effort.

I will write a review when I get it up and running :)

Also thought I'd add that I am running the Razor Nano over my tank, I absolutely love the light. It's sleek and sexy looking, the spectrum it puts out it phenomenal, and the built in controller (same as full size) is simple and effective. Only thing that could be a "problem" is the tank bracket it comes with isn't very pretty, in fact I didn't even take it out of the box. I called Chris@coralvue and he sent me the pendent hanging kit for the full size razor and it is 100% compatible.

There aren't many reviews on it yet but I can assure you that it was well worth the money. I switched from an AI nano almost a week ago and I can already see better coloration in my corals. Hope this helps :)

Good to know and thanks for the information. I saw the bracket and agree it could use a little "sexy" added to it. I can't hang the fixture from cable so the bracket is also a consideration for me, spectrum is the BIG + with the Nano Razor for me.

Archived