SaltCritters.com

NanoTopia's ADA 30c [ FLIR ]

NanoTopia

For god sakes stop making everything so beautiful you are making the rest of us look absolutely horrible!

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Awesome work... I really like the skimmer modifications. What material tube did you use for the collection cup overflow and what size?

Awesome work... I really like the skimmer modifications. What material tube did you use for the collection cup overflow and what size?

Thanks Jay, the tubing is acrylic, aprox. 1/4in ID. You don't want to go with too small of a tube diameter for this because if your skimmer overflows most likely it will be fairly rapid. You want the hose to be able to keep up. It's easier to work with acrylic because you can bond acrylic to acrylic with methylene chloride (Weld-on 4 or 16), this makes for a strong bond.

Thanks Jay, the tubing is acrylic, aprox. 1/4in ID. You don't want to go with too small of a tube diameter for this because if your skimmer overflows most likely it will be fairly rapid. You want the hose to be able to keep up. It's easier to work with acrylic because you can bond acrylic to acrylic with methylene chloride (Weld-on 4 or 16), this makes for a strong bond.

Thanks for the advise. I'm currently building my own sump but not as fancy pants as yours. I am interested in using the same skimmer and I really like the overflow idea. Do you enjoy the DIY stuff more than the actual tank care?

Thanks for the advise. I'm currently building my own sump but not as fancy pants as yours. I am interested in using the same skimmer and I really like the overflow idea. Do you enjoy the DIY stuff more than the actual tank care?

Your welcome, actually I enjoy both, but I am picky and I find myself modding everything these days. I am often torn between modding an existing piece of equipment or just making it from scratch. Skimmers are a lot of work, most sumps are easy really. For this build I have needed to make and mod quite a bit, but this will be one of a kind.

Even a lot of the equipment coming out of Germany these days is loosing quality, they are starting to cut corners to stay competitive in this vast market, that doesn't sit well with me. Royal Eclusiv is still the best but you have to own a bank to shop there.

Your welcome, actually I enjoy both, but I am picky and I find myself modding everything these days. I am often torn between modding an existing piece of equipment or just making it from scratch. Skimmers are a lot of work, most sumps are easy really. For this build I have needed to make and mod quite a bit, but this will be one of a kind.

Even a lot of the equipment coming out of Germany these days is loosing quality, they are starting to cut corners to stay competitive in this vast market, that doesn't sit well with me. Royal Eclusiv is still the best but you have to own a bank to shop there.

Well the mods make sense and they add value to the products you buy. I just made my first sump from a AGA 10 obviously not the prettiest tank but the build work looks good. I still have to make a filter sock holder and support for my ATO sensor. My light fixture was the first time working with plastics and it was a lot of fun.

Being a fellow Canadian I was wondering where you get your epoxy magnets from?

White is the new Black...

I have decided to go with the white theme overall on this build. I am still undecided about the lighting, remember black fixtures can be painted white, haha.

Well the mods make sense and they add value to the products you buy. I just made my first sump from a AGA 10 obviously not the prettiest tank but the build work looks good. I still have to make a filter sock holder and support for my ATO sensor. My light fixture was the first time working with plastics and it was a lot of fun.

Being a fellow Canadian I was wondering where you get your epoxy magnets from?

I agree!

I have not bought any magnets to date, I was referring to aquarium magnets that are not coated. Magnets will rust over time in salt water and cause possible problems including iron issues in the water. Tunze used to fully coat their magnets, recently I have bought a few Tunze pumps and ATO, the magnets are not fully coated, only epoxied to attach them to the plastic holder. This is bad IMO. I am coating the existing magnets supplied now, PITA really, for something you pay premium dollar for. 10 more cents and they could have just coated the whole magnet, shame. I guess someone at Tunze came up with a way to save the company $$$ and got a bonus in return (:

I have all birch in my home - It looks super clean.

This is going to be epic. Great work and craftsmanship Christine :)

Made a mistake, it is Birch veneer, not Beech, guess I had vacations on my mind, lol.

Thanks all, for your support and encouragement :)

So far this build has taken twice the money and twice the time expected. It is looking solid, hope to have the stand finished in a couple of weeks then start installing electronics and wait for the display tank so I can begin plumbing.

Drift Monkey

Made a mistake, it is Birch veneer, not Beech, guess I had vacations on my mind, lol.

You were thinking of trees?

define-beech-american-1.jpg

Archived