Cultivated Reef

NanoTopia's ADA 30c [ FLIR ]

NanoTopia

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Did you ever find an ultra low phosphate test or tester?

The last one I tried was the Hanna phosphorus checker and I am not impressed. I am sending the reagents back to Hanna for testing as I think they may be faulty. My conclusion is that, at a hobby level, an accurate and reliable ultra low range PO4 test kit does not exist. Were stuck with what's out there, which for most hobbyists is adequate, but I would still like to see a better kit made available under $100.

Waiting for the tank has got to be hard since everything else is just about ready. Hope you either get the tank soon or find a proper alternative.

Thanks NS, you are right, the momentum was flowing and the build was moving along nicely. Now, for the last 6 weeks it's all collecting dust :( . Once the tank arrives things will start up fast with this build. I think it will come soon, if by chance it didn't, there is NO alternative ! LOL.

Incredible Christine! The attention to detail in both your builds ceases to amaze me! :)

Thanks JD, glad to have you along on this build (on a break). Once the tank arrives I will drill it, add the overflow and complete the plumbing. I will do a EW test to make sure all is good. Then the rock work (which will be a deal in itself), sand, salt water, and cycling. I have half the livestock waiting in my other tanks, the rest I will buy when I start adding the livestock. Still lots to do but the end is in sight!

Sketchup of the display tank (ADA 30C) with white overflow (4.5mm white acrylic).
FRONT ISO VIEW
9598139533_ea119a81f9_z.jpg

BACK ISO VIEW
9598250671_79e2fb236d_z.jpg

DRILL PLAN (Cut Away) This is the most accurate dimensions to date for the overflow.
9600415526_afca46f3b1_z.jpg

Which phosphate meter were you using? Was it the Hanna 9713 or one of those egg-shaped ones?

How are you plumbing that? Dual outflows (herbie?) with a center hole in the middle of the tank built up for return?

Which phosphate meter were you using? Was it the Hanna 9713 or one of those egg-shaped ones?

How are you plumbing that? Dual outflows (herbie?) with a center hole in the middle of the tank built up for return?

I have both HI713 and HI736 meters, yes egg shape ones. I'm not happy with either of them.

Plumbing is not really conventional, two 3/4" returns with durso standpipes on both. The return is 1/2" lock line to a 3 way split (1/4" each) that will run up the centre of rock, so basically it will be hidden from view. I also have a check valve on the return, a ball valve on each line. I wanted to sketch this up in google but it was just too complex to draw, LOL. I will just photograph it when it all comes together.

I plan to have a great deal of flow (~300GPH) through the return, this is the reason for 2 x 3/4" drains, redundant and plenty extra just in case. I am hoping the flow created by the return pump will be sufficient for the livestock, I really don't want circulation pumps in the display. So it will be kind or a closed loop system. Have a look back in the thread I think there is some related photo's :)

Thanks JD, glad to have you along on this build (on a break). Once the tank arrives I will drill it, add the overflow and complete the plumbing. I will do a EW test to make sure all is good. Then the rock work (which will be a deal in itself), sand, salt water, and cycling. I have half the livestock waiting in my other tanks, the rest I will buy when I start adding the livestock. Still lots to do but the end is in sight!

I was 18 pages behind last night... I'm all up to date now. haha

Excited to see this if you're going the LPS route.

I was 18 pages behind last night... I'm all up to date now. haha

Excited to see this if you're going the LPS route.

Yes, LPS with maybe a few monties. SPS is just too stressful to keep in a 7 gallon. Blasto, Acan, Favia, Zoa, Gorgonian mainly. I will transfer my sexy shrimp, Longnose shrimp, hermit, and Sharknose Goby over as well. Maybe add something else interesting. Peaceful tank with lots of colours. :)

• 4 weeks later...

I have just found out the ADA 30C has just been delivered to the retailer from Joseph Uy at Miyabi Aqua Design Ltd. (Canadian distributor), I think I will make the 4 hour round trip tomorrow to pick it up!

The build continues :happydance:

And...

Just my luck, an Aussie shipment just came in last night at the LFS, I had to come home with something for the new tank. It's in the 20 gallon for now and looks quite happy there :).

9829159244_5f8baab94b_z.jpg

Lol. That was me when I 1st got mine. :)

So what's your 1st impression upon receiving the ada in hand?

After waiting 5 months for it, unexplainable.

Does the tank meet your quality expectations?

Haven't put water in her yet, but so far she looks Be-U-Tee-Fulllllll !

I'm actually scared to get out the diamond bits on this tank, if I mess up, I wait 5 more months :unsure:

ADA is way behind in production, half the LFS order didn't even come in, I was lucky.

when i got mine i was so impressed by the quality. perfect alignment, seams, and the beveled glass is wonderful as well. this build is gonna be beautiful!!!

Archived