Pod Your Reef

Tamberav's 40 Breeder

Tamberav

Did you get the value led or the photon 24 I cannot seem to remember?

Equipment:

Tank: Petco 40B display

Fuge: Petco 40B

Stand: Titan Eze Metal Double Stand (will be skinned with wood)

Lights: Reef Breeders Value LED fixture

Skimmer: Bubble Magnus Curve 5

Sand: 40bs Caribsea Seaflor Special Grade Reef Sand

GFO/Carbon Reactor: BRS Dual

Return Pump: Mag 7

Rock: 30lbs reef-cleaners rock in display with whatever I end up fitting in the fuge.

Overflow Box: Glass-holes 700 gph Kit with 3/4" loc-line return kit

Top-off: Tunze ATO

Flow: Mp10

• Replies 545
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Did you get the value led or the photon 24 I cannot seem to remember?

Nah, value led. Would have done photon but this is just a temperary tank so the controllability wasn't all that appealing for the price.

Hubby gave me the go-ahead to get new corals if I went and picked him up some food (he was feeling lazy). You can sure bet I went and got him some food!

Coralllllllllz...... inc! soon..

newcoralzzz_zpse32ec073.jpg

Here is my current want list now:

acans (glennr)

yellow sea whip, orange sea whip, ricordias (sea life inc)

green and red candy canes

bubble coral

yellow polyps because I love them and can't keep them alive so far :(

chili coral

dendro

blue scroll algae

acans (glennr)

bubble coral

chili coral

dendro

blue scroll algae

Interesting, the yellow polyps are the easiest coral to care for from this list. I feed mine phyto feast and micro plankton. Sometimes it will catch a piece of mysis or brine shrimp. Maybe the colony is not receiving the nutrition it needs.

acans (glennr)

bubble coral

chili coral

dendro

blue scroll algae

Interesting, the yellow polyps are the easiest coral to care for from this list. I feed mine phyto feast and micro plankton. Sometimes it will catch a piece of mysis or brine shrimp. Maybe the colony is not receiving the nutrition it needs.

Yeah, I know.. so weird! I did feed them every once and awhile. When I was googling around about them I noticed for some people they grow like a weed and others they whither away much like Xenia, thrives or dies. Perhaps it shipped poorly and just never fully came around. smiley_shrug%5B1%5D.gif

Well, they are out of stock of the clove polyps so I emailed them to get a larger frag of Cespitularia and a small acan instead.

omgomgomg:happydance:

Yay new coral!

OMG IM SO EXCITED! If that Blue Cespitularia dies I will cry though. Kind of one of my "dream" corals.

All the corals arrived well packed and healthy. Pacific east aquaculture even called my phone and asked if everything arrived healthy. I would def order from them again. When the lights came on, everything has been opening up.

Here is what I bought:

Red gonipora

Iridescent purple cespitularia

Christmas tree acan

Magician palys

Neon prism favia

Purple polyp green bird's nest

Pink bird's nest

Orange plate montipora

The hardest part is finding room for them all

I find it funny that your husband gave you approval. Thus is married life. I am in the same boat but need to run things past my wife. I cannot sneak anything past her because she has really educated herself on corals, fish, and inverts. She probably knows more about this hobby than me. There is no sneaking anything past her. I was at work last year when I received a photo text from her of a new fish I had added to the aquarium. Whenever I want a new coral, invert or fish, I become super husband. Making breakfast and cooking, making the bed, cleaning the house, taking the kids to the playground so she can get a break, back rubs, foot rubs, and other little tasks. At least we can talk about things together :) All in all she is very supportive of my obsession with this hobby, and it is give and take.

Enjoy the new corals and I look forward to pics.

I find it funny that your husband gave you approval. Thus is married life. I am in the same boat but need to run things past my wife. I cannot sneak anything past her because she has really educated herself on corals, fish, and inverts. She probably knows more about this hobby than me. There is no sneaking anything past her. I was at work last year when I received a photo text from her of a new fish I had added to the aquarium. Whenever I want a new coral, invert or fish, I am become super husband. Making breakfast and cooking, making the bed, cleaning the house, taking the kids to the playground so she can get a break, back rubs, foot rubs, and other little tasks. At least we can talk about things together :) All in all she is very supportive of my obsession with this hobby, and it is give and take.

Enjoy the new corals and I look forward to pics.

I would have to say my hubby is very tolerant. I bought a mp10 w/o telling him awhile back then I told him the price tag after and he was like "WAAAAAT? That much for something that moves water?" He teased me about it but never gets upset over $. But yes, I mostly run things by him because that's just the right thing to do. Besides, we have no local LFS with good corals so when I buy corals I always do a large order so it isn't like I am dropping $15 and more like $150+.

That is SO awesome your wife knows more than you now! I wish my hubby would get more involved, he likes to watch the tank but basically knows very little about it. He still refers the tank as "his tank" though. lol He did rename some of my corals.. the green finger leather is now called "that octopus coral" because when it sheds it slumps over and looks like octopus tentacles. :closedeyes:

I guess he puts up with my reef obsession and I put up with his video game hobby. His hobby is cheap but a lot more time consuming!

I'm in the process of setting up a 40b and ordered the value led as well. What levels do you run each channel at?

Whites/colors 50% and RB's 60%. You will love the light, my corals colored up immensely.

I told my wife the mp10 was needed because it was an insurance policy for the aquarium. I have the battery backup on it in case the power goes out. Would hate to lose any life. She completely understood :)

I told my wife the mp10 was needed because it was an insurance policy for the aquarium. I have the battery backup on it in case the power goes out. Would hate to lose any life. She completely understood :)

Ahh.. I've forgot my pumps off for around 18-24 hours and nothing happened so for now I haven't bothered with the backup. I may at some point though just out of paranoia.

MG: 1350 - should I raise to 1400?

Ca: 380 - dosed today to bring it up to 405

No3: 25 - I believe bio-pellets have finally kicked in as this used to run somewhere between 50-100. Skimmer is making all sorts of stinky crap.. will monitor and see if they drop lower. (I feed 1.5 frozen cubes a day and would like to get it down to 5-10 for my "mixed reef")

Alk: 7.7 - will dose tonight to bring it up to 8 (this is about what it drops every day)

Parameters look good, and you are making the necessary chemical increases to get the aquarium balanced. I also run bio pellets and my skimmer gives off some dark skimmate. Need to empty the collection cup every 4 days. I feed mysis, brine, Rod's Reef food, and many different liquid foods such as phyto-feast.

Do you have some updated pics?

post-80849-0-40499400-1375579581_thumb.jpg

Parameters look good, and you are making the necessary chemical increases to get the aquarium balanced. I also run bio pellets and my skimmer gives off some dark skimmate. Need to empty the collection cup every 4 days. I feed mysis, brine, Rod's Reef food, and many different liquid foods such as phyto-feast.

Do you have some updated pics?

My skimmer looks about the same :) Smells nasty too!

Random pics of new and old corals:

icNQuwqR5pqX9.jpg

iGs7o6t4FcZJI.jpg

ibm72i47PYMzeL.jpg

iqjqQrpSzLB9j.jpg

ib22900Prukjmp.jpg

iXODyuI8ZqGia.jpg

ih5053VXuZY6J.jpg

itco9zeTaNnrA.jpg

These are excellent pics. What type of camera did you use to get the clarity on the photos? The polyp extensions are great and the corals look healthy and happy.

These are excellent pics. What type of camera did you use to get the clarity on the photos? The polyp extensions are great and the corals look healthy and happy.

It is a dslr camera and my hubby got me the 105mm f/2.8 macro lens for our anniversary but I am still learning how to use it.

I'm surprised a bit that all the corals are happy and growing well. My nitrates are not what people would call low although I think my phosphates are.

It is a dslr camera and my hubby got me the 105mm f/2.8 macro lens for our anniversary but I am still learning how to use

I'm surprised a bit that all the corals are happy and growing well. My nitrates are not what people would call low although I think my phosphates are.

Need to pick up a dslr camera. One of the LFS I frequent has 20 ppm in some of their aquariums and the fish and coral look great. Some corals love the higher nutrients.

Noticed my starkii damsel nipping at hair algae yesterday (I don't have much in the DT but there are a few small patches).

Live Aquaria: It will ignore invertebrates in the aquarium and feeds on zooplankton and algae, which makes it a good fish for the reef aquarium.

Guess that part is true! Best damsel ever.

Need to pick up a dslr camera. One of the LFS I frequent has 20 ppm in some of their aquariums and the fish and coral look great. Some corals love the higher nutrients.

yeah I am a little nervous and hope nitrates won't drop too much. I love my softies and would like to keep a mixed reef.

Picked up a battery backup for my Vortech.. woo! Now I can stop imagining coming back to dead fish/corals everytime I go away for a weekend.

Thinking I will buy a air pump back-up for my smaller tanks (only kicks on when power goes out):

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000256502/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A2US1IENPV2T7N

Does nano-reef not do contests anymore? Getting the itch to make a cheap 0.5 to 1g pico micro for funsies.

Archived