inTank Media Baskets

Tamberav's 40 Breeder

Tamberav

Got a new fish today (Yes, I am guilty of overstocking) as she is fat/healthy and I suspect she is eating frozen (fingers crossed) as the LFS does not have pods/liverock/sumps and she has been there 7 months. In fact I have seen many starving and dead mandarins in their tanks :( I'm sure it will be a pain to train her into pellets.

http://s74.photobucket.com/user/Tamberav/media/spotmandy_zpsc9f9bc4b.jpg.html'>spotmandy_zpsc9f9bc4b.jpg

• Replies 545
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Shouldn't be too hard. Find a "feeding station" area she can go and feed, i.e. a shot glass where flow isn't.. And slip in some pellets.. I'd imagine you could do a lot like we do with dogs and cats when we change their food and they're finicky.. Just slowly swap it out and a lot of times they're fine with it.

Shouldn't be too hard. Find a "feeding station" area she can go and feed, i.e. a shot glass where flow isn't.. And slip in some pellets.. I'd imagine you could do a lot like we do with dogs and cats when we change their food and they're finicky.. Just slowly swap it out and a lot of times they're fine with it.

I trained my first one, frozen was easy but pellets took 3 months. I didn't use a feeding station though (he eats off the sand) but plan on building one out of acrylic just to make it easier on me to feed two.

Female spotted are supposed to be easier than blue males, lets hope so!

Sounds like a plan. At least its not too hard to feed mysis and other stuff until that time.

My suspicion is confirmed that she was already eating frozen. She had only been in her breeder box for about 1 min after acclimation and she was eating nutramar ova already. I was feeding the other fish and figured 'what the hell, might as well give her some'.

We have biopellets running! Did a mod on my BRS Dual reactor to make it work with biopellets. The trade off since it is a dual (which slows down flow for the pellets) is I had to use 1/2 as much GFO/Carbon. I just changed the GFO/Carbon a few days ago so throwing half of it away felt like I was lighting 5 dollar bills on fire.

Game plan is to switch to high capacity GFO (so less is needed) or hopefully phase it out completely.

The mod: http://www.3reef.com/forums/i-made/i-made-better-biopellet-brs-reactor-mod-119890.html

I don't think I said this before. Really like how the tank looks with the leds not lighting the full tank.

I don't think I said this before. Really like how the tank looks with the leds not lighting the full tank.

It actually doesn't look like that anymore, but ya it was kinda cool. Since I got the light mounted it has a even spread. Looks nowhere near this blue, camera just seems to only pick up the blue lights. The lights look awesome in person. Blue on camera <_<

fts2_zps9767d108.jpg

red hornets (started as 1 polyp)

zoa1_zps5d5e3d46.jpg

bam bams

zoa2_zps512179c4.jpg

Grow faster please :tears:

Nothing to really update, funds kind of running low. Had to spend $600 bucks to renew my hubbys greencard and $4000 on his summer college classes. Holding out for a local frag swap since shipping is a killer.

It actually doesn't look like that anymore, but ya it was kinda cool. Since I got the light mounted it has a even spread. Looks nowhere near this blue, camera just seems to only pick up the blue lights. The lights look awesome in person. Blue on camera <_<

fts2_zps9767d108.jpg

red hornets (started as 1 polyp)

zoa1_zps5d5e3d46.jpg

bam bams

zoa2_zps512179c4.jpg

Grow faster please :tears:

Nothing to really update, funds kind of running low. Had to spend $600 bucks to renew my hubbys greencard and $4000 on his summer college classes. Holding out for a local frag swap since shipping is a killer.

kinda funny how zoas grow the way you dont want them to....

Looks very nice, those mandys seem to be doing very well.

Thank you, this month marks the 1 yr mark of having my blue mandy.

How far off the water are you hanging your lights. I'm going with the photon 32.

5 inches from top of tank, 6 from the water gives me even coverage with 120 optics on the value led which is shorter than the photon 32. You can prob go with 90 degree optics on the 32 although I'm not sure about spotting effect with 90s and how high you would have to hang it.

I want a spotted mandarin female but I'm scared to death i'll kill it.

Best advice is to get a healthy one and nutramar ova. You may need to get live food though. You could most likely train a healthy one as long as you have the resources. There seems to be a lot more success than failure.

Honestly though they are annoying to feed in a 40B and I found 20g-ish to be perfect. When I move I'd like to set up a dedicated mandarin tank just so feeding is less of a PITA. Right now my tank is too small to feed a lot (like leaving jars full of pellets in) and too big to easily spot feed without all the other fish getting in the way.

My spotted is in the breeder net for this reason, he is eating food but prob won't catch on where to go in the large tank. My blue was trained in a 12g then a 20g to a 40B so he kind of knows the ropes from the smaller tanks and heads to a corner when the pumps go off. I'm thinking I will have to first train the spotted in a smaller tank to a feeding dish then move him to a bigger one.

Seeing your tank with the value fixture covering the tank fully gives me a lot of faith in the fixture. Thanks for posting this!

My blue mandy has been with me 1 year now (spent 9 months in it in a 20g) and I took a celebration pic of his "fat" today:

DSC_0343_zpse2365cbc.jpg

DSC_0344_zps4be25589.jpg

DSC_0338_zps4a53cf30.jpg

Her front fins look ouchie. Poor girl. Hope she recovers! Looks happy though!

Yeah, he came that way from the LFS. I hope his fins heal soon (I think it is actually a young male).

:o

Your little Blue is a little sausage.

I think im starting to like spotted mandarins now...That green mandarin is fat though, good job

Thanks!

Working hard to turn the new spotted into a sausage too! :) He is eating like a champ and has a lot of spunk, swims right up into the water column to get the mysis before it even hits the ground.

Yeah, he came that way from the LFS. I hope his fins heal soon (I think it is actually a young male).

Thanks!

Working hard to turn the new spotted into a sausage too! :) He is eating like a champ and has a lot of spunk, swims right up into the water column to get the mysis before it even hits the ground.

Perfect!! Glad to hear it. This makes me want a spotted in my 40 even more!

Archived