Top Shelf Aquatics

Tamberav's 40 Breeder

Tamberav

• Replies 545
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nice tank, I want your female for my chubby male that is in my 40B :).

020_zps90ee88ae.jpg

012_zps2e9b867c.jpg

He looks very healthy! Great pics!

Great looking tank! Love the fish choices.

I'm really struggling on whether to do LPS + SPS or LPS + Softies. I was originally planning on SPS so I have all the equipment for SPS (GFO/Biopellets/Vortech, ect) but now I am leaning towards softies. At least the equipment is still useful either way as I like to overfeed.

Why not a combination of all of the above? You can still get a "full" look with sps once they grow out :)

Great looking tank! Love the fish choices.

Why not a combination of all of the above? You can still get a "full" look with sps once they grow out :)

Thanks so much!

I suppose because the different flow/lighting/nutrient levels makes it kind of more of a challenge. Also softies toxin is bad for SPS.

However, I have left 1 tall rock completely bare for now as I plan try some monti/birdsnest on it and see how they do and go from there. I also placed my leathers by the overflow and am running carbon to try and combat any toxin.

No reason not to at least try!

How does he like the two crazy little buggers?

I got the peacock for him, so he better like it! lol

He is a typical guy and likes to see them punch things and eat things

Yeah he is very happy and fat. I got him when he was like 1 1/4" and he took to frozen within the first 2-3 days. Mandarins are amazing creatures and probably my favorite fish next to wrasses and tangs.

Yeah he is very happy and fat. I got him when he was like 1 1/4" and he took to frozen within the first 2-3 days. Mandarins are amazing creatures and probably my favorite fish next to wrasses and tangs.

I'm surprised they ever got a bad rap for their feeding habits for so long. Frozen food must be a lot tastier now than it used to be.

So I think I either accidentally blasted one of my hammer's heads with some reef code B (poured in too fast maybe) as it is the head that is facing the return from the sump; or one of my new shrimp went at it. I know peppermints sometimes love to eat hammer's but I don't see any rips so I bet it was me.

Was a skeleton last night before I went to bed but when I woke up today it is shrunk very small but there is flesh over the skeleton now and a few tentacles poking out so I think it will recover.

I love your fuge! is that star grass in the front right? <3

Thanks! Its kind of just a bunch of stuff I threw in :P I keep telling myself I'm going to organize it and trim the cheato and glue the macro to the rock. I'm so lazy! :happy:

That is star grass :) Grows fairly well.

Thanks! Its kind of just a bunch of stuff I threw in :P I keep telling myself I'm going to organize it and trim the cheato and glue the macro to the rock. I'm so lazy! :happy:

That is star grass :) Grows fairly well.

I like it how it is, so far. :wub:

I like it how it is, so far. :wub:

Thanks! that makes me feel better about having just tossed stuffed in and letting it fend for itself :) I think I like some macro more than corals :o

Did you see the pic of when I had a bunch of random macros? :D I love plants...I always do plants if I can get away with it :3

Did you see the pic of when I had a bunch of random macros? :D I love plants...I always do plants if I can get away with it :3

Yes, one of your pics inspired me to go find caulerpa prolifera! :) I actually just found some yesterday off a local reefer. I really like how it looks.. guess I like seaweed :P

Yes, one of your pics inspired me to go find caulerpa prolifera! :) I actually just found some yesterday off a local reefer. I really like how it looks.. guess I like seaweed :P

oh, wow! :wub: I need more caulerpa! I hope I can find some on the weekend I go back to pack! Since I intend to go to the beach before I move farther away from it - I found mine on the beach shhhh :P

The zoa's have really taken off under reef-breeders. It only had 3 heads when I put it in and took many months to grow from 1 before. It now has 5 heads AND it is sprouting 4 heads all at once in the last few days. My other zoa's look to have new heads popping up all over too.

Wish my bio pellets would hurry up and kick in.

Oh, and I also accidentally scratched (just a scratch!) one of my Xenia stalks doing a water change and that head completely melted away over night! (or maybe something ate it because it was injured?) The other 2 heads look great. I will have to be more careful, I want the coral to grow faster than I can kill it.

I picked up a starcki damselfish and added him. LA has them listed as the most peaceful damsel and we will see if I regret this decision.

I wanted a pygmy angelfish but don't dare add anything that may nip corals. The starcki looks almost like an angelfish. Here is generic LA pic of the starcki until I can get a pic of my own:

p-89666-starcki-damsel.jpg

I did not bother to QT because a local breeder had him for 2 years.

Hoping my 29g hex will finish cycling soon as I would love to get the mandarin's their own place. They could finally eat in peace without shrimp and clownfish :P

Archived