Coral Vue Hydros

Begow's Money Trap! Crazy Aggressive Chalice and New Clown Video..

Begow

Before I go to bed...

Just did my first salifert tests. Ammonia was pretty low, if not non-existent. Same with nitrites, but my nitrates were at like 10.

Phosphates were 0, PH was spot on.

Are those showing good signs of a cycle going?

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was just reading this article: http://www.chucksaddiction.com/cleanupcrew.html

And he was saying once your nitrates have reached the 10 marker, I should take out the cocktail shrimp in my tank since the bacteria has already been established.

What happens.... if I can't find it? I found one piece of it, but the other two are missing.

And should I really take it out?

Yes remove it.I forgot you still had it in there.lol.That was the point of wrapping it in filter floss.So it dont go everywhere and you can find it.

Get a couple hermits and toss in there they will find it.

Yes remove it.I forgot you still had it in there.lol.That was the point of wrapping it in filter floss.So it dont go everywhere and you can find it.

Get a couple hermits and toss in there they will find it.

I plan on making my tank "crab free" besides a pom-pom or anemone crab. So I will have to find it, if not, what else can I do? Didn't even think of the filter floss idea.

If you get a hermit get a single monstrous one lol. But im the same. I have pompoms, porcelains, and acro crabs and they are all very docile.

• Like 1

I will be doing only snails. And the few crabs I mentioned before.

I've just had bad experiences with hermits always killing off my snails, even with an abundance of extra shells.

Your AC70 Combo set shipped this afternoon!

Heck yeah!!!!!!!! :D Anyway you could possibly email a tracking?

Also just noticed you live in Charlotte. I used to live in Huntersville. Fintastic is such an awesome shop!

Heck yeah!!!!!!!! :D Anyway you could possibly email a tracking?

Also just noticed you live in Charlotte. I used to live in Huntersville. Fintastic is such an awesome shop!

I'll zap you the tracking in the a.m. if that's cool with you. Fintastic is a great shop, has a ton of stuff! So you lived here in Huntersville huh...small world my Aunt and Uncle live there in Ocala...go figure!

• Like 2

Have you thought about switching to a black power strip and mounting it to the stand so it blends in? You can attach the wires to the stand with some black zip ties and it will clean it up and bit and all will blend in since the stand is a darker color.

So I got this ATO set up, but I don't think this is designed for tanks that have a rim. I have the float switch as high as I possibly can, and it's still too low for me. The sensor doesn't want to go off until the tank is like 1.5-2 inches of water level being too low. So how can I remedy this? I wish I would have known this was designed for tanks with a sump. Not just a tank.

77916025-FF2F-459B-BDB1-0B2514505A7B-145

D6BA4BB9-E00F-4DCD-89D1-29A63534C511-145

D4BF6BF2-CDF3-4481-A8FD-76283AE296B1-145

B609F6D0-FF77-43A7-A4BA-D19BAEC0C679-143

Random picture of a very hard piercing I had to do today:

7BCAD65E-5381-47B5-B47E-0FBCBC2324EA-143

Take a hot razor blade and trim that little section of the rim so the ATO switch magnet can come up more.
  • Like 2

Take a hot razor blade and trim that little section of the rim so the ATO switch magnet can come up more.

Boss told me to do this today, so i'm glad you said it as well. Now I know it'll work.

Wow - a very simple solution!

Very much so! Tomorrow I will be doing this, and also trying to fish those damn shrimp out!!!!!!

When would it be safe to add a chromis? I'm assuming once the nitrates are down?

I have 0 ammonia, and nitrites are like, .25. Will test again tomorrow. Nitrates are 10. I added a full bottle of nitrifying bacteria, and I never thought the stuff worked but seems like things are progressing pretty quick.

I have 0 ammonia, and nitrites are like, .25. Will test again tomorrow. Nitrates are 10. I added a full bottle of nitrifying bacteria, and I never thought the stuff worked but seems like things are progressing pretty quick.

I'm a big believer in it, use it anytime we set up a tank or make any really big changes.

• Like 1

I'm a big believer in it, use it anytime we set up a tank or make any really big changes.

I used some stuff that my pet store sells, says it contains live nitrifying bacteria and can't be exposed to extreme weather conditions..

The tank looks absolutely amazing today, super clear.

When adding chromis (as I will keep them as a permanent fish) is it best to do 1, 2, 3?

Does anyone have a good site or article on keeping bluespot jawfish? I am looking to keep a BSJ, a clownfish pair, and chromis.. is this too much?

Also, picture of my pug today!!! :D

185497_4111769397836_1290448538_n_zpsdd1

• Like 1

Chromis school well if you get more than one, if you have room I would go for 3.

The BSJ is a big jumper and can get through small holes. I have heard that they like cooler waters. It is a hard fish to keep and you see very few people who have long term success with them. Like with any fish though, if you want it bad enough, do your research and provide the care that it needs it can be done, it comes down to you wanting to provide the care or not.

Have you thought about adding a blenny of some kind?

These are a few that I really like.

Canary

Midas

tail spot

Yeah I've always really liked the Tail Spot Blenny..

So, two chromis, one tail spot blenny, and a pair of clownfish..

Is that too much bio-load for my tank?

Saying too much bioload is hard... IMO - it could be pushing it. It will be more about your routines and equipment to balance the increased bioload.

Now - if you sump it and add some water volume, that will help but not a replacement for a good skimmer and water changes.

Couple of questions..

My wife does the whole Scentsy thing.. which is pretty much just a thing of wax that goes into a flame-less burner and makes the house smell good. This won't cause issues with the tank right?

Also, how do you know if you are giving your too much light when acclimating to the tank? Thinking of additions in the next weeks or so, and I don't want to add zoanthids and burn them up. I've heard medium-high flow, and away from other corals. Also, should I just keep my lights all the way down? Or start at around 25%?

What are the signs of too much light for a zoanthid/ricordea? What's the signs of not enough?

Archived