Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Begow's Money Trap! Crazy Aggressive Chalice and New Clown Video..

Begow

Well, after a long break I'm finally going to get back into the hobby and do it right this time!

I started out with a 8 gallon Aqueon Evolve, but that quickly became too small and wasn't very mod friendly.

My tank so far:

Equipment:

• 20g long Aqueon brand tank
  • Fluval AquaClear 70 (will be modded into a fuge)
  • 100 Watt Hydor Theo heater
  • Aquastyleonline.com LED fixture
  • Vortech MP-10
  • Salifert Testing kits
  • Instant Ocean Hydrometer
  • EcoPlus Digital Timer
  • Tunze Nano Ozmolator
  • Mag-Float
  • Digital Thermometer

Filtration:

• 25lbs of AquaScapers Nano Base Rock
  • ~30lbs of bagged live sand
  • Live Rock Rubble in AC-70
  • Chaeto in AC-70

Planned Livestock:

• Pair of designer clowns (Haven't decided yet)
  • Purple Firefish
  • Bluespot Jawfish (Still need to do tons of research and figure out how to make a home for this guy!)
  • CUC
  • Want some sort of anemone for the clowns to host, if not possibly a torch coral.

Planned Coral:

• Zoas (mainly designer)
  • Ricordea garden
  • Hammer Coral
  • Brain Coral
  • Welso
  • Doughnut Coral
  • I really want to try SPS, but I want something that looks fuzzy. I've never kept SPS so this will be a challenge for me.

Future Plans:

• Might add a sump, really not sure on this yet.
  • Aqua Illuminations Sol lighting
  • Aqua Illuminations Controller (Love those cheesy lightning storms)

Thanks a lot guys, will be posting some pictures now. I would love ANY inspiration and advice!!!!! All advice is welcome!

Old Tank (and picture of the wife and I)

Tanks_zps89098f0f.jpg

photo4_zpsb83d27b5.jpg

Rock just came in!

photo7_zps3efa155e.jpg

Capture1_zpsb2418b01.png

Capture_zpsd53ff990.png

The new tank!

A7E7A3F8-91F4-4C6C-AF0B-E406E53486CF-110

The new rock work!

4093A3D3-F46C-4430-A08E-CDBE4B32B9E9-110

3F3D36DF-3729-45C7-B19B-A738CD2E01E0-110

Finally wet! Light is hung as well!!!!!!

044757C1-8180-4857-8ACF-830E73AD321D-110

56CCF629-3752-438F-A21F-9A8E40885113-110

View from the couch!

44AD7D44-5200-4C4E-91DC-795FD01AB314-110

9B506148-FD6E-40A8-99EE-BBFC1259F5CF-110

Any suggestions so far? Any suggestions on a good fuzzy SPS? The Maxi-Jet is in there only because my MP-10 doesn't come in until tomorrow along with my heater.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just uploaded a video of the flow, and shimmer from the LED's. This is with a Maxi-Jet 900, I'm excited to see what it will look like tomorrow once the Ecotech comes in!!!!

th_IMG_0471_zps84a28a74.jpg

Just click the picture and it takes you to the video.

ooOOhhh. I'm already in love. pix please

Sigh.. Everytime we go visit her sister steals all of our clothes and shit lol.

Wife's hot brotha.

It would be beneficial to add a sump, and would certainly give you more filtration and set up options.

Thanks man! If I ever added a sump it would have to be via a HOB overflow.

Thanks man! If I ever added a sump it would have to be via a HOB overflow.

I see. It would still provide a place to hide the ATO and heater, not to mention additional water volume...Of course it's a big change and I don't expect you to consider it just yet.

Will be following! B)

• Like 1

Looks like you're off to a good start!

I'd suggest switching out that hydrometer for a refractometer though if you can. Hydrometers can be pretty inaccurate. Also, don't forget to add some sort of lid/screen top if you do decide to get the firefish and/or bsj. And finally, milleporas are the fuzziest SPS corals I can think of. I had two small colonies in my last setup and loved them.

• Like 2

Looks like you're off to a good start!

I'd suggest switching out that hydrometer for a refractometer though if you can. Hydrometers can be pretty inaccurate. Also, don't forget to add some sort of lid/screen top if you do decide to get the firefish and/or bsj. And finally, milleporas are the fuzziest SPS corals I can think of. I had two small colonies in my last setup and loved them.

Yeah I'll definitely be doing a DIY screen from bulk reef supply. I need to figure out how I can make a space for the AC-70. Thanks for the kind words. I still need to find some info about BSJ.

Also, when would be the earliest I could test the water?

TeflonTomDosh

Yeah I'll definitely be doing a DIY screen from bulk reef supply. I need to figure out how I can make a space for the AC-70. Thanks for the kind words. I still need to find some info about BSJ.

You got test kits now? I offered these for sale the other day. 25 shipped.

8400218713_166bbae71a_c.jpg

20 for you.

oh, and why does your wife hate NR?

I'm having the same issue with the BRS screen kit. I'm not quite sure yet how to make room for the few pieces of equipment. I'm wondering if just having 3 frame sections would keep the netting tight enough on the back side (where the equipment is). Then I could just cut out the screen where I needed to. Let me know if you come up with anything.

As for testing the water, it depends on what you want to test for. Salinity, ammonia?

You got test kits now? I offered these for sale the other day. 25 shipped.

8400218713_166bbae71a_c.jpg

20 for you.

I have the basic API test kits (Nitrates, Nitrites, PH, Ammonia) and I have on order Salifert (Ammonia, Phosphate, Nitrate, Nitrite, and PH)

I'm having the same issue with the BRS screen kit. I'm not quite sure yet how to make room for the few pieces of equipment. I'm wondering if just having 3 frame sections would keep the netting tight enough on the back side (where the equipment is). Then I could just cut out the screen where I needed to. Let me know if you come up with anything.

As for testing the water, it depends on what you want to test for. Salinity, ammonia?

Wanted to know when would be the earliest to test to see when and if I'm going to be getting a cycle.

TeflonTomDosh

I have the basic API test kits (Nitrates, Nitrites, PH, Ammonia) and I have on order Salifert (Ammonia, Phosphate, Nitrate, Nitrite, and PH)

Wanted to know when would be the earliest to test to see when and if I'm going to be getting a cycle.

you can test now if you want. is there anythign in there to start the cycle?

you can test now if you want. is there anythign in there to start the cycle?

I used the bagged live sand, LFS said that would be enough..

The live sand has bacteria in it but that doesn't start a cycle by itself. They need a food source (ammonia) in order to reach a healthy population that will allow you to keep fish and other livestock. There's a few ways people introduce a food source: using a hardy fish (which is kind of frowned upon because the fish will suffer while the tank cycles), dropping a cocktail shrimp in the tank and letting it decompose, or adding pure ammonium chloride (the best method IMO, because you have the most control).

Once you add a source of ammonia, you can test for ammonia. It'll spike at some concentration, then after 1-4 weeks (it can be really variable based on a few things) your ammonia levels will drop down to 0, indicating that your biological filter is in place. At this point you can start adding stuff.

The live sand has bacteria in it but that doesn't start a cycle by itself. They need a food source (ammonia) in order to reach a healthy population that will allow you to keep fish and other livestock. There's a few ways people introduce a food source: using a hardy fish (which is kind of frowned upon because the fish will suffer while the tank cycles), dropping a cocktail shrimp in the tank and letting it decompose, or adding pure ammonium chloride (the best method IMO, because you have the most control).

Once you add a source of ammonia, you can test for ammonia. It'll spike at some concentration, then after 1-4 weeks (it can be really variable based on a few things) your ammonia levels will drop down to 0, indicating that your biological filter is in place. At this point you can start adding stuff.

Doesn't the die off from the live sand cause a cycle as well?

I just read on Liveaquaria that the Bluespot Jawfish needs to be fed three times a day?!!??! If so, this is a definite no go for me.

What kind of live sand did you get?

The livesand thats in a big ass bag that says live sand on it and has a bunch of water that weighs the bag down and makes it harder for me to carry in the house. :P

Archived