Cultivated Reef

Begow's Money Trap! Crazy Aggressive Chalice and New Clown Video..

Begow

Just did my first water tests since adding the shrimp..

PH -- good.

Nitrates -- 0

Ammonia -- 1.0 PPM

Nitrites -- .25 PPM

Although these are shitty API tests (my salifert comes in on Monday) I'm pretty confused on results.. isn't it Ammonia -- > Nitrites ---> Nitrates ---> then done? Why is my nitrites already spiking after only two or three days?

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You could have missed the ammonia spike.Or have a minimal spike.I have never tested my tank for its cycle and just waited till i saw the diatom bloom or 3-4 weeks before adding stock.

I have like, 200 bucks so spend, and I'm not sure what to buy lol.

I have a tunze nano ATO on the way, along with a digital timer. Also have all my salifert test kits on the way too.

WHAT SHOULD I BUY?!?!?!?!?!?!?

Deleted User 4

I have a tunze nano ATO on the way, along with a digital timer. Also have all my salifert test kits on the way too.

Wait, you ordered your ai sol already right? Just saying lol.

Wait, you ordered your ai sol already right? Just saying lol.

Nope not yet. Still waiting on that one. Atleast one more week. I could order the controller now, but that's boring! Come on man, give me some ideas! I thought of maybe starting the sump thing!

Deleted User 4

Nope not yet. Still waiting on that one. Atleast one more week. I could order the controller now, but that's boring! Come on man, give me some ideas! I thought of maybe starting the sump thing!

Hmmm, maybe a fluval g3 canister?

Just did my first water tests since adding the shrimp..

PH -- good.

Nitrates -- 0

Ammonia -- 1.0 PPM

Nitrites -- .25 PPM

Although these are shitty API tests (my salifert comes in on Monday) I'm pretty confused on results.. isn't it Ammonia -- > Nitrites ---> Nitrates ---> then done? Why is my nitrites already spiking after only two or three days?

Those look like normal results to me.. not sure I understand the confusion. The conversion from ammonia -> nitrite -> nitrate doesn't happen all at once, it's gradual. So until you're cycle is done you'll probably have readings for all three.

Get a controller and thank me later. Or save up for some pricier livestock like a pair of designer clowns or something.

Those look like normal results to me.. not sure I understand the confusion. The conversion from ammonia -> nitrite -> nitrate doesn't happen all at once, it's gradual. So until you're cycle is done you'll probably have readings for all three.

Get a controller and thank me later. Or save up for some pricier livestock like a pair of designer clowns or something.

Saveee? SAVEEEE?!!? lol, that doesn't sound like much fun. Also, do you mean a controller as in.. for the AI Sol? If so, I'll definitely be buying one. If you mean a RKL I will be skipping on that for now, just doesn't seem feasible.

Saveee? SAVEEEE?!!? lol, that doesn't sound like much fun. Also, do you mean a controller as in.. for the AI Sol? If so, I'll definitely be buying one. If you mean a RKL I will be skipping on that for now, just doesn't seem feasible.

Haha who wants to save right? But yeah I meant RKL. I have the level 1 version and I love it.

Haha who wants to save right? But yeah I meant RKL. I have the level 1 version and I love it.

What do you use it for? It seems the only thing the level 1 does is a temp probe and some light controls, right?

Deleted User 4

Damn right the ai controller :)

What do you use it for? It seems the only thing the level 1 does is a temp probe and some light controls, right?

It's pretty much just a fancy light timer, but that temp probe makes it worth it. I've read a few horror stories on NR about heaters breaking and crashing a tank, so I feel better having the extra safety built in. I mean most people put a ton of money into their tanks, and it's kinda scary to think all that investment is resting on the hope that a $30 heater won't fail at some point.

It's pretty much just a fancy light timer, but that temp probe makes it worth it. I've read a few horror stories on NR about heaters breaking and crashing a tank, so I feel better having the extra safety built in. I mean most people put a ton of money into their tanks, and it's kinda scary to think all that investment is resting on the hope that a $30 heater won't fail at some point.

How does a temp probe protect you from your heater failing?

The heater is plugged into the controller. It turns off when the desired temp is reached on the controller.

If the heater shatters (which some do) then you'd be screwed either way right?

Just noticed I missed a RKL with net module on r2r for 120 shipped, rofl. fml.

How does a temp probe protect you from your heater failing?

It detects the temperature of the water, and if it gets too high (you can set your desired temp), then it will cut power to the heater. Most heaters fail because their internal thermostat fails and they remain on for too long and cook everything in the tank. It doesn't happen all that often, but it still makes the controller worth it for me.

If the heater shatters (which some do) then you'd be screwed either way right? Just noticed I missed a RKL with net module on r2r for 120 shipped, rofl. fml.
Yes but the neotherm is shatter proof. Check out the neotherm and you will be happy. Best heater every made FTW.

It detects the temperature of the water, and if it gets too high (you can set your desired temp), then it will cut power to the heater. Most heaters fail because their internal thermostat fails and they remain on for too long and cook everything in the tank. It doesn't happen all that often, but it still makes the controller worth it for me.
Not a neotherm. They shut down.

Just buy a neotherm heater if worried about heater malfunctioning.

Don't know what I'm going to be buying just yet.. I'd like a RKL, but are they really worth it? I just don't want to buy something that I won't get much use out of ya know?

• Like 1

Archived