Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

55 Gallon - 2 years old

bencollinz

• Replies 759
  • Created
  • Last Reply
JamesHL88

Clown won't be a boy for long if its the only one in the tank. Unless u add a more aggressive mate for it right now it will most likely turn into a female. That's why I went with Mrs. :)

opaquelace

I'm following this guide but feel free to critique. This is my first time with SW.

http://www.advancedaquarist.com/blog/quarantining-marine-fish-made-simple

And I was told almost all clownfish will have/get brook so treat for that as well. So, Formalin as well.

I've been treating mine for what I think is brook off and on for about 2 weeks. Treated, it cleared up, stopped, it came back. So now I'm dipping every day until it goes away and stays away for good (probably 10 days). Great idea to have a quarantine tank set up. You will love your black ocellaris clownfish. I miss mine almost every day (got sucked up into the filter, didn't realize it until later, he was found alive a few weeks later but he still died). Do you know if your clownfish is captive bred?

JamesHL88

Yeah ben listen to ben lol. Two clowns is plenty. Youll be mad at yourself for not adding more variety later anyways.

bencollinz

Just got a 30 breeder for free!

And the hermit crab is still alive. We haven't seen it for a week.

JamesHL88

YES! you r gonna love the bicolor blenny! Mine cracks me up. Huge personality and all his tank mates don't seem to mind when he palls around with them. Mine has free range of the birdsnest that my three stripe hosts and I've even cought him hanging out side by side in the frogspawn with my clown lol. Great little critter that shows a lot of curriosity.

How far away are your from throwing your first corals in?

bencollinz

YES! you r gonna love the bicolor blenny! Mine cracks me up. Huge personality and all his tank mates don't seem to mind when he palls around with them. Mine has free range of the birdsnest that my three stripe hosts and I've even cought him hanging out side by side in the frogspawn with my clown lol. Great little critter that shows a lot of curriosity. How far away are your from throwing your first corals in?

my blenny is very shy and timid. he hides in his pipe when anyone walks by.

the goby is in the DT and he tore the place up within an hour of being introduced. thankfully, my rock is on the bottom of the tank and not on the sand.

this green algae is still growing like crazy, have to get a new pic of it.

my tank walls are literally covered with white walking specks. and I can't tell if it's debris or super tiny microbubbles that are just making the water not clear at all.

I feel rather downtrodden at this point and have no clue when I will add my first coral. I feel like I need to figure out water clarity first?

Should I start using my skimmer? I put polyfill in between two baffles and got a ton of crud out but the ####ING bubbles still persist. I can't even believe that bubbles this tiny exist. it's insane.

well, anyway, sorry for the rant. feel like a let down and blah blah blah.

positive note: our son was baptised yesterday (sunday) and had a nice turn out of family members afterwards.

JamesHL88

More time is all your tank needs nothing more. Dont stress these larger tanks just take alot longer to stabalize. I can almost promise u that the green dusty algae on the "base rock" will pass soon and be replaced with diatoms. Then when they subside your tank will ne ready for the more sensitive inverts. Just don't go changing things trying to speed stuff up. Once all those fish hit the display tank the process will really speed up.

And nothing helps water clarity like fresh carbon. Hang some in a filter sock under your drain or something.

bencollinz

The white specks are copepods! Good stuff the fish will eat them.

Are they only on the glass or would they be floating in the water as well? I wish one of you lived near me. It'd be so much easier. I may try to get video of it.

FishBrawler

Are they only on the glass or would they be floating in the water as well? I wish one of you lived near me. It'd be so much easier. I may try to get video of it.

Well there are some free floating copeopod, but most live on the glass and rocks. Have you tried running carbon? If you turn off the pumps and all water movement, do they still move?

bencollinz

Well there are some free floating copeopod, but most live on the glass and rocks. Have you tried running carbon? If you turn off the pumps and all water movement, do they still move?

oddly enough, when I turn everything off, it's all just suspended throughout the water. besides the pods moving about on the glass/algae.

you would think bubbles go to the surface to pop?

Hi Ben, just got caught up on the thread. I thought the barnacle on the snail was cute. They will eventually die leaving just the shell on the shell. It's all good, nothing tho worry about.

Names for Fish if you haven't named them already:

Dot

Oreo

Goldfish

Gandalf the Grey

Phantom

Like Benny said, your macroalgae is ulva, lucky lucky.

bencollinz

Phantom

Like Benny said, your macroalgae is ulva, lucky lucky.

Phantom will be the goby

"lucky lucky" sarcastic or genuine?

Archived