Innovative Marine Aquariums

Maxspect Razor Owners thread

Daveg99

Ive had my razor for a couple months and I definetly see good growth in my sps. I dont have any pics though. I dont have a nice camera.

I would say the Razor 160w 27" model. I don't think the 120w would cover all the edges.

Yep. I have 27" over the same tank you have. It covers it perfectly. 120W wouldn't give you enough coverage.

Yep. I have 27" over the same tank you have. It covers it perfectly. 120W wouldn't give you enough coverage.

Thanks for the info! Was hoping the 120 would work but hearing that the 160 works best then i will throw in an extra 100 for it. I only heard great things about this setup and Im looking forward to adding this to my build!

Thanks for the info! Was hoping the 120 would work but hearing that the 160 works best then i will throw in an extra 100 for it. I only heard great things about this setup and Im looking forward to adding this to my build!

Here is the actual picture of my set up including PAR reading at A:60, B:100

PAR60.jpg

• Like 5

Yep, my toadstool did not like it and is mostly retracted as well as having turned brown. It does peak out once in a while so it's still alive, I moved it to the edges.

My pink bird's nest which is right in the middle up high turned brown on day 1, completely. The ends of the polyps are starting to color back up though on day 5. I only ran it 35/70 during peak light periods.

My acros seem to LOVE It though. I had an acro that was damaged by a moving BTA and lost all it's polyps on one side. Almost all of those polyps are back now and some of my other acros are coloring up more than they ever have. I'm becoming a believer in violet light.

• Like 3

That's my biggest fear, that I'll have trouble finding the balance. Hopefully we will keep this thread active and be able to help each other with figuring things out.

Thanks for the info guys, I know, that's the only thing that freaks me out, is frying anything :P I guess, just start out low, and slowly work your way up. I know a few people on RC suggest 1% per day of each channel you want to increase.

jedimasterben

I think at near 100% it might be even too much light for light hungry organisms like clams unless you do sand placement.

I doubt you'd ever be able to reach the photoinhibition point for clams. Clams are cultured very near to the equator in tubs of water that are only a few inches deep.

• 2 weeks later...

My razor just overheated, melting the plug into the powerstrip and now the light doesn't work.

Foster & Smith who I ordered the light through is taking such good care of me and is sending the replacement light to me 2 day air free of charge.

The surge protected powerstrip it was plugged into was only a month old so I am going to sent it back with the light so they can hopefully determine if the default was with the light, the ballast, or the strip.

Kind of concerning when you walk into the room and smell electrical fire smoke - it could have been much much worse.

• Like 2

My razor just overheated, melting the plug into the powerstrip and now the light doesn't work.

Foster & Smith who I ordered the light through is taking such good care of me and is sending the replacement light to me 2 day air free of charge.

The surge protected powerstrip it was plugged into was only a month old so I am going to sent it back with the light so they can hopefully determine if the default was with the light, the ballast, or the strip.

Kind of concerning when you walk into the room and smell electrical fire smoke - it could have been much much worse.

I guess the passive cooling heat sink isn't cutting it huh?

If it is melting rubber imagine what it is doing to the emitters themselves over time. 160 watts and no fan?

Glad you are sorting it out.

Christine

Yeah I will update this thread if/when I hear anything about it. Is this the first time this issue has come up? I have not heard of any others melting so hopefully I just got a lemon and it isn't a larger problem. (Maybe it wasn't the light or ballast and it was the power strip) Either way I am gonna give the razor one more go because up to the point of destruction I was very happy with it!

• Like 1