Innovative Marine Aquariums

Maxspect Razor Owners thread

Daveg99

Was debating on which model to go with the 120 or the 160 ? The tank dimension are 28 l x 18 w x 12 h . What do you guys think - should I go with the 20" or the 27" ? This will a SPS dominated tank and some LPS on the bottom .

Was debating on which model to go with the 120 or the 160 ? The tank dimension are 28 l x 18 w x 12 h . What do you guys think - should I go with the 20" or the 27" ? This will a SPS dominated tank and some LPS on the bottom .

I'd personally go 160.

Currently using a 120 on a 24"x12"x16" tank and just get enough spread to cover the tank with the fixture 8.5" off the water.

I'd personally go 160.

Currently using a 120 on a 24"x12"x16" tank and just get enough spread to cover the tank with the fixture 8.5" off the water.

TJ - thanks for the information / I guess I will go with the 160w then !!! As of right now I am running a Tek light 4 bulb t-5 about 10" off the waters surface. So I am guessing with the 160w I would not have to hang it that high?

Always go with more light on LED, no heat penalty for it and you get better coverage of shadows.

Flypenfly - thanks you make a good point !!!

THIS IS WHY MY RAZOR AND I WENT DIFFERENT WAYS................

57 rimless 36x18x21 tall with 160w 16k razor 8 inches off water...............

http://s5.photobucket.com/user/plainrt/media/par_zps200ad850.jpg.html'>par_zps200ad850.jpg

First row channels at 65 white and 100 blue where liked color.2nd number full power both channels

1. PINK BIRDSNEST 120,165
2.SPS BY BACK WALL 150,230
3.BIG HAMMER 80,105
4.BUBBLE 100,120
5.FRONT RIGHT SAND 65,110 6.FRONT LEFT SAND 60,110
7.FINGER LEATHER 170,235
8.CENTER SPS ROCK 450,560
9.RED CAP 400,490
10.CENTER SAND BED 150,220
11.CHALICE 110,175
12.OCTOSPAWN 160,215
13.NUKES 85,110
14. TORCH BY BACK WALL 80,120

• 2 weeks later...

Do any of you use the Mounting arms?I am considering getting the Nuvo 16 Maxspect razor 120 combo marine depot has, but i dont want to have to hang it from the ceiling.

jedimasterben

I like the light it puts out. I'm not a big fan of Cree, but what can you do. Maybe I can convince Coralvue to use Evil clusters in the successor. :)

• Like 1

Hi. I apologize ahead of time for posting this as I already made this post as a separate thread before seeing this thread but thought I might get better input here.

I just got my Maxspect Razor Nano today from Marine Depot. I am putting it over an Innovative Marine Nuvo 30 gallon. The tank is about 19" deep and display area is about 13 x 19.5. I was wondering if anyone who has used Maxspect Razors could give me a suggestion on what I should set the light intensities for starting out. I have it set at the moment to ramp up gradually to full power for about 4 to 5 hours and then gradually ramping down until it goes off at night. I have "full power" set for 50 percent intensity though instead of 100 percent. I had some LEDs that these are replacing that I had set too high which caused some bleaching and color fading of my corals but I don't want to go in the opposite direction and not have enough. I have mostly lps with one sunset monti. Should I keep the settings where I have them for now or let then be at 100 percent for full power?

Hi. I apologize ahead of time for posting this as I already made this post as a separate thread before seeing this thread but thought I might get better input here.

I just got my Maxspect Razor Nano today from Marine Depot. I am putting it over an Innovative Marine Nuvo 30 gallon. The tank is about 19" deep and display area is about 13 x 19.5. I was wondering if anyone who has used Maxspect Razors could give me a suggestion on what I should set the light intensities for starting out. I have it set at the moment to ramp up gradually to full power for about 4 to 5 hours and then gradually ramping down until it goes off at night. I have "full power" set for 50 percent intensity though instead of 100 percent. I had some LEDs that these are replacing that I had set too high which caused some bleaching and color fading of my corals but I don't want to go in the opposite direction and not have enough. I have mostly lps with one sunset monti. Should I keep the settings where I have them for now or let then be at 100 percent for full power?

I have my razor nano over a 18x18x9 shallow cube. Light is 9" off the water and mine peaks at 45% both channels. Hope this helps.
  • Like 1
Drift Monkey

Question for you guys that are hanging your razors from the ceiling - since the fixture is pretty lightweight...does drywall do a good job of holding 4.4lbs? What kind of anchor are y'all using to hold 'em up?

Question for you guys that are hanging your razors from the ceiling - since the fixture is pretty lightweight...does drywall do a good job of holding 4.4lbs? What kind of anchor are y'all using to hold 'em up?

I use these, and they work great. They are rated to hold much more, and the fixture is very light, no issues at all:

picture_butterfly_anchor.JPG

• Like 1

I'm using simple plastic drywall hooks, maybe 3/4" long. Can't remember where I got them but they are the most basic things you can put into a ceiling. I bump the light at least twice a day doing this or that, and not a single issue.

I use these, and they work great. They are rated to hold much more, and the fixture is very light, no issues at all:

• Like 1
Drift Monkey

picture_butterfly_anchor.JPG

A toggle bolt, that looks like the ticket! I was just wondering...I figured it was light enough to be reliably hung like that, thanks.

Now, to pick a position for the tank...I don't want to have to make several anchor points...haha!

I'm using simple plastic drywall hooks, maybe 3/4" long. Can't remember where I got them but they are the most basic things you can put into a ceiling. I bump the light at least twice a day doing this or that, and not a single issue.

Hmmm...good point. Toggle bolts might be overkill.

I'm all for overkill when you have an electrical lighting fixture hanging over water, the toggle is the way to go IMO.

Christine

• Like 2

I have to agree. I actually tried to use the plastic ones that came with the Razor, and they literally bent while going into the drywall. I wouldn't trust plastic in this case. The hole is only marginally larger, so it's definately worth the piece of mind :)

• Like 1

I have loved these fixtures since the moment I saw them and would love to snap one up second hand if possible. I have been looking at the 120w 16k model, do you think it will be powerful enough for my 20x20x18 cube? After looking at going DIY with shipping and a second hand razor with shipping there is not much difference in price and a lot less stuffing around for me.

• Like 1