inTank Media Baskets

Maxspect Razor Owners thread

Daveg99

I see on some sites there is a 10k and 16k model and also I see a 15k model on other sites.. are these different generation models or what?

Also, one says 120w and one says 130w??

Photoperiod 8-12 hours. Percentage varies from tank to tank, Google the size tank with the word razor and with ever wattage, you'll come up with lots of results.

15k are the new style and also slightly more wattage, all I know on that.

10K is not as popular for reef tanks, and 16k is the usual norm for reef tanks.

So the 15k one is the latest version? There is no longer a choice on 10k vs 16k right?

I just wanna be sure to get the latest version if I go that route

Thanks for the help

• Like 1

Yes them15k is the newer model both the 20" and 27",'I think the nano as well. You'll either have to buy any that might be left out in retailers or find used 16k's hint, might be one on here.

• 2 months later...

Hi everyone, i have had the 60w 16k version over my nuvo 8 for a while now and not sure what the settings should be. I started low and ended up maxing out around 60white and 80 blue....i bleached everything obviously. Have since cranked them down...7 white 35 blue 12hr lights on with max for only 3 hrs. I have gotten some color back but very little and the lights have been turned down for 4 months now. Do i have them down too low now or are they still too high for my tiny tank? I have great polyp extension but some zoas on the sandbed look like they are reaching for light. Having a hard time figuring these lights out. Appreciate the help!

jedimasterben

7/35 is kind of low IMHO. I would probably have both in the 30s (or a ratio for color that you like that adds up to around 60, so 20/40, 35/25, etc).

Do you have the wide reflectors installed? If not, I would highly recommend them.

No i have the standard 90 optics but will be getting the 120 optics in a few months. I will be upgrading to the fusion 20 and will need the extra spread. Will be going t5 at some point but the leds will work until then.

I thiught it seemed low but i have gotten next to nothing for color back so i assumed it was maybe ok. I know the bightness of leds can be deceiving so with such a small tank i didnt think it to be that crazy. I can try slowly ramping up a bit and see what happens. Just afraid to make things worse.

Thanks for the help ben!

• 1 month later...

Sorry to come in late on this thread but can anyone give me some good setting for my tank its a 4ft x20 x20 ive got a maxspect razor 160 k it came with settings but was on a very different tank I tried contacting maxspect but no luck

rone_kevin66

Sorry to come in late on this thread but can anyone give me some good setting for my tank its a 4ft x20 x20 ive got a maxspect razor 160 k it came with settings but was on a very different tank I tried contacting maxspect but no luck

What power light do you have and optics
  • Like 1
rone_kevin66

Do my fellow Razor brothers and sisters think the BLue Fish Control is worth purchasing? $140 +

Sell me on the upgrade!

I bought it the day it came out and it was totally worth it. The cloud and storm effects are awesome as well as the over all control of the light. Also hooking up a Webcam it is a nice feature. Only thing is it still only has 2 channel control and their is no totally off if you want Moon lights but I've been told that feature will be out soon.
  • Like 1

Hi everyone – a newbie here after a bit of advice!

I am currently two months into my first marine tank, a Fluval M40 coupled with a Maxspect Nano 70w 15K. At present the sole occupant of the tank, apart from the CUC is a small dual-headed frogspawn (approx. 6cmx6cm) positioned at the bottom of the tank towards the corner away from the live-rock in the centre. I’ve had it 2 weeks and it appear to be thriving; opened up nicely within an hour or so after i got it and sways away full expanded throughout my current photoperiod happily. My current settings are;

8.30AM 0 0 10.00AM 5 25 12.00PM 30 32 7.00PM 30 32 8.30PM 15 20 10.30PM 0 0

My light is currently positioned 6 inches above the surface, with a further 10 inches down to the coral. Ideally, I’d like to increase the intensity of the light a bit (both whites and blues) as the tank is the center-piece in a fairly small living area in my apartment. I have learnt vast amounts from this forum, and based my initial photoperiod from this learning. I am wary of shocking the coral, so I intent to increase the intensity in small increments each week, However, I was just wondering if anyone out there would happen to know ‘roughly’ what would be a ‘safe’ maximum intensity I could potentially ‘get away with’? From what I have read online, there seems to be a 50/50 split between people who run these lights to their max, i.e. 100% at the peak of the photoperiod, and those who feel, 60/70/80% is more than ample. I’m not really hoping to push my luck, but would like to see a bit more light emitted. Future stocking plans include another LPS or two, and maybe some mushrooms/zoas for the shadier spots.

Thanks,

Tom

• Like 1
  • 9 months later...

Just curious how everyones razors are working out.
ive been running mine for a bit over a year, and i gotta say im kinda unimpressed with the color of corals.
Also not sure my BTAs like the spectrum. Colors are kinda dull on most corals.
Greens dont reallly seem to do well. my peak settings are 20w/45b, over a 40breeder.
Ive added some truelumen pro led strips to adjust the spread and spectrum to more of a blue than a blurple.

I have a Gen 1 pair still going over my pair of 40B's (and another Gen 1 over my 45g frag tank), hanging them 12" over the aquariums, and I have had great results, with most of my stuff growing like weeds. My 40B pair max out at 65W:75B for 4 hours (midpoint of 35W:40B for 3 hours before and after the peak ramp time) - I think you might need to increase your settings, and keep your light 12" or more over the aquarium to increase spread and cut down on any "disco" (or use the white reflectors if still using a Gen 1 and have it on the mounts).

Here is a recent pic before I added a couple of additional corals to each, and after we moved and they had been up a couple of months...

temporary_17.jpg

• 2 years later...

whats the changes of someone still on here with a bluefish controller they would be willing to sell? been looking EVERYWHERE and ive had no luck

I just got a used R420R, and Coralvue will be switching out the LEDs and reflectors for me. I'm going to be putting it over a 60gal, 24x30x20. I've got mostly LPS, with some zoas and mushrooms and a few beginner SPS. I'd like a small clam. Is anyone running something similar? I'll be moving things from my 13.5 with upgraded lights over to the 60 once it cycles and I'm not sure where to start with this light. I run about a 12hr photoperiod on my current tank, and keep the blue on at 1% at night. 

• 8 months later...

Quick PSA to anyone getting their old Razors retrofitted. (Sorry for the necropost)

I had the opportunity to get PAR values from the newer Apogee MQ510 sensors a few weeks back.

My 120W was, at 100% B and 42% A, hitting around 250-270 PAR at about 6-8" depth with the stock 6" mounting bracket.

The PAR was very consistent with the new 120 degree lenses and I pretty much had 220-250 PAR for the whole 12x30 @7" depth block, but the number is still lower than the impression given from reading most of the information available. I think this is due to the differences in spread between the 90 degree and 120 degree lenses and perhaps the new spectrum and power settings of the 15000k model.

At 12" depth the light still peaked around 200 PAR, center 18" or so, and maintained around 150 everywhere within the 12x30 floorspace of my system, even behind and partially under rockwork.

• Like 1

Loved my Razor 160....gen 1....early adopter.  Great light for my brace-less 36" 50 Gallon tank. 

I like that they used 420nm emitters and that they don't waste space or watts on B.S. green and red emitters. 

I did have to replace one of the power conversion boards in the fixture after a few years....wasn't free, but it was reasonable.  And simple enough to do.  CoralVue was easy to work with.  👍

• Like 1
5 hours ago, mcarroll said:

Loved my Razor 160....gen 1....early adopter.  Great light for my brace-less 36" 50 Gallon tank. 

I like that they used 420nm emitters and that they don't waste space or watts on B.S. green and red emitters. 

I did have to replace one of the power conversion boards in the fixture after a few years....wasn't free, but it was reasonable.  And simple enough to do.  CoralVue was easy to work with.  👍

Hard to beat their pricing and willingness to work with people, it's almost unheard-of for a company to still be standing behind a lighting product nearly a decade down-the-road, most seem totally-fine with letting you know you've got nothing but a paper-weight in their eyes 6 months after purchase.

I was extremely excited to be able to refurbish, for around the cost of a Prime HD, the model I purchased from a local considering the light itself is more-powerful than a hydra. 
But it's really hard to find solid numbers on what kind of PAR these lights put out, so I figured I would drop my findings in here and let people know they can crank these buggers up with the new lenses on them.

• Like 1
  • 9 months later...

Hi there, I've got a 36 inches wide tank, 20 inches deep. I'm adding a Maxpect r420r of 24inches width. Is the light ok for the tank, what height and % to set it on? Thanks, I know nothing about lighting...