Pod Your Reef

Maxspect Razor Owners thread

Daveg99

Circle_City_Bill

Hey looking for light schedule, some help would be great.

Here is my set up, i have the 160w-16000k it is 9" above my mr aqua 12gal. It looks at 9" i get pretty good spread if anything i m7ght have to raise it several inches down the road. I plan on keeping lps, easier sps, zoos, and maybe some softies. Thanks for your help

I have been running the same light over my 12L for the past 3 months. I'm still tinkering with the schedule. Up until a week ago, I had it max out at CH A: 20% and CH B: 30% (fearing I would fry something if I pushed much higher). I rented an Apogee meter and found that I was barely achieving 100 par a few inches below the water surface at those settings. I'm going to gradually ramp up the maximum intensity over the next couple months. Here are some values I recorded across a number of intensity settings.

Sensor location: center of tank, about 2" below water surface (160W; 16,000K; mounted on factory legs).

A: 20% B: 35% PAR: 113

A: 20% B: 40% PAR: 133

A: 30% B: 50% PAR: 197

A: 40% B: 60% PAR: 350

BOBBARKER68

I have been running the same light over my 12L for the past 3 months. I'm still tinkering with the schedule. Up until a week ago, I had it max out at CH A: 20% and CH B: 30% (fearing I would fry something if I pushed much higher). I rented an Apogee meter and found that I was barely achieving 100 par a few inches below the water surface at those settings. I'm going to gradually ramp up the maximum intensity over the next couple months. Here are some values I recorded across a number of intensity settings.

Sensor location: center of tank, about 2" below water surface (160W; 16,000K; mounted on factory legs).

A: 20% B: 35% PAR: 113

A: 20% B: 40% PAR: 133

A: 30% B: 50% PAR: 197

A: 40% B: 60% PAR: 350

Hey thanks let me know what you end up getting it up too. I dont have mine set up yet so i wont fry anything.

rone_kevin66

Going to be setting up my new tank with the 120w 16k. Mounted with leg kit on a 30×18×24 tank. Just wondering what power I should use or just max it out with the tank being 24 in tall. Also should I keep the stock lens or get the 120°. Tank will be soft, leathers, some LPS and a RBT.

rone_kevin66

Always get the wide reflectors. Those should come stock.

Thanks that what I thought but didn't no if they would weaken the light to much at the sb.

Always get the wide reflectors. Those should come stock.

I have my stock reflectors on my 60 watt Razor 11" above water line. I have the wide lens, but it was blinding. How can I fix that?

jedimasterben

I have my stock reflectors on my 60 watt Razor 11" above water line. I have the wide lens, but it was blinding. How can I fix that?

Don't stare into it :lol:

• Like 2

Thanks for the smartass advice. Much appreciated

Well, I hung a board to block the light from my T5 fixture, otherwise you're stuck being blinded. A lot of folks use hood because of this, but hoods have their own drawbacks, like heat buildup. A false hood with an open top might work as well.

• Like 1
jedimasterben

Somehow I would like to be able to control the Razors via my APEX.

The Bluefish gives much better control and more features than the Apex can deliver if you were to somehow connect it up. ;)

• Like 1
BOBBARKER68

So i set up my razor and i am going to try these settings

1000 0 1

1200 10 20

1600 30 35

2000 10 20

2100 5 20

2200 0 0

tank is a 12 mr aqua 12 gallon, light is 12inches above tank. Thoughts and changes? Thanks

• 2 weeks later...
acharpenter

I have a 40 breeder with softies

I have been running an AI Vega at 100% across all color spectrum for 4 hours daily with a 2 hour ramp up/down at either end for about 6 months.

Vega was mounted horizontally across the tank at about 12" above water line in an effort to get more spread. (Pic below)

Rather than purchase a 2nd AI Vega since the 1 wasn't enough spread for my tank - I have purchased a 160 16K (old model) Maxspect Razor. yesterday I mounted it on the stock legs on the 40 breeder.

I just spent the entire day reading through this thread and still find the need to ask:

Since I was running the AI Vega at a 4 hour 100% window - is it still advised that I start with the Maxspect A=45% and B=45% ramping up by 5% each week or would you think since corals were already used to the max output of the AI Vega that I would be ok to start at a higher %??

Thanks in advance for any help and also thanks to everyone for this thread - it has been an awesome source of information!

Old pic showing the AI Vega before I turned it horizontally across the tank rather then vertically as the old pic shows:

WP_20150106_002_zps2gws1wjm.jpg

Maxspect Razor over the tank as of yesterday (was at 80% A and 90% B for this pic):

WP_20150420_002_zps4ftkshsj.jpg

• Like 1

Howdy,

AI Vega is not very good, or bright, so I would start lower. I also think you will be happier by switching to the 120 degree reflectors.

http://www.coralvue.com/maxspect-razor-r420r-120-degree-white-reflector

For reference here are some reviews of the Vega and Razor. Notice how much stronger the Razor is.

Vega

http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2013/1/aafeature

Razor

http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2013/6/review

I have a 40 breeder with softies

• Like 1

Acharpenter - either use the 120 degree reflectors, or hang it 12"+ over the aquarium - makes a huge difference in spread, and tends to eliminate any color banding (i.e. "disco")... :)

jedimasterben

If using 120 optics on a 60watt nano, what's the best height above the waterline?

I have the stock 90's 11" above the waterline now..

8-12"

• Like 1
acharpenter

Howdy,

AI Vega is not very good, or bright, so I would start lower. I also think you will be happier by switching to the 120 degree reflectors.

http://www.coralvue.com/maxspect-razor-r420r-120-degree-white-reflector

For reference here are some reviews of the Vega and Razor. Notice how much stronger the Razor is.

Vega

http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2013/1/aafeature

Razor

http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2013/6/review

Acharpenter - either use the 120 degree reflectors, or hang it 12"+ over the aquarium - makes a huge difference in spread, and tends to eliminate any color banding (i.e. "disco")... :)

Thanks all - ill put in the order for the 120 reflectors. I also adjusted my lighting to max out at A=40% and B=70% for 3 hours daily. Will be ramping up by 5% every other week - much appreciated!

Thanks all - ill put in the order for the 120 reflectors. I also adjusted my lighting to max out at A=40% and B=70% for 3 hours daily. Will be ramping up by 5% every other week - much appreciated!

Try and stick with even channels if you can. The LED's are very bright and 70% blue could be frying things and still look dim. Staying at the same level on each channel helps you to judge the brightness better IMO.

acharpenter

Try and stick with even channels if you can. The LED's are very bright and 70% blue could be frying things and still look dim. Staying at the same level on each channel helps you to judge the brightness better IMO.

Thank you - makes sense. I will adjust B down to even up with A

Currently it is set at

Time A/B

12p 15/25

2p 40/70

5p 30/50

7p 15/25

9p 0/1

11p 0/0

My plan then for adjusting it tonight is:

Time A/B

1p 0/0

4p 15/15

5p 40/40

8p 25/25

9p 0/1

11p 0/0

• Like 2
rone_kevin66

Ok tank is done cycling and fist fish going in monday. I'm just wondering what is a good power % and timing for my tank. They tank is 30×18×24 and I'm using a 16k 120w with the 90° lens in place. The light is mounted with he legs to the rim. When I add corals it will only be softies, leathers,shrums, one or 2 lps and a rbta. Any help would be appreciated. Also note ubwill be getting the blue fish once it comes out.