SaltCritters.com

Maxspect Razor Owners thread

Daveg99

On the old Razor, all the blues were on one channel and all the whites on another but on the new boards they have blues on both channels so how can you get a good crisp white with little blue if you so choose.

I have an older Razor (16K) and there are blues on both channels for mine. There aren't that many on the white channel and if you put it on just white, it looks VERY white to me.

I have an older Razor (16K) and there are blues on both channels for mine. There aren't that many on the white channel and if you put it on just white, it looks VERY white to me.

I'd say that's about right spectral wise. There is 4 whites overpowering only 2 royal blues.

I skimmed through this post and couldn't find my answer so please forgive me if I missed it.

I am wondering if anyone with a Nuvo16 is running the Maxspect Razor R420R 16K light? If so, what settings are you using and do you happen to know what percentage of light equals the stock Skkye lights that came with the Nuvo16?

I am currently running my Maxspect at 50% A and 50% B channels. I want to get the most out of this light without burning/bleaching out my coral. Thank you.

I skimmed through this post and couldn't find my answer so please forgive me if I missed it.

I am wondering if anyone with a Nuvo16 is running the Maxspect Razor R420R 16K light? If so, what settings are you using and do you happen to know what percentage of light equals the stock Skkye lights that came with the Nuvo16?

I am currently running my Maxspect at 50% A and 50% B channels. I want to get the most out of this light without burning/bleaching out my coral. Thank you.

If you want the most out of your light,blast both channels at 100% lol. Or just slowly increase them about 5% -\+ over a weeks time until you get everything to look good or they can't handle anymore light. I want to say the stock Skkye lights are like .5-1w LEDs could be more,I'm not sure. So you're definitely pushing out more light than those are.

You can look at replacement parts on CoralVue's website.

I still use one of my Razors next to by big tank lit by T5's. I think is has a purple hue, but your eyes compensate quickly, and then when looking away everything looks yellow. ;)

I'm mildly interested in seeing if I can get a new puck to replace the old ones to see what the color difference is.

You can look at replacement parts on CoralVue's website.

I still use one of my Razors next to by big tank lit by T5's. I think is has a purple hue, but your eyes compensate quickly, and then when looking away everything looks yellow. ;)

I'm mildly interested in seeing if I can get a new puck to replace the old ones to see what the color difference is.

They don't tell you the size of the board,unfortunately. Just the spectrum and channel set up. That's what I wanna do,retro it into my t5 fixture for my sps tank. But if the board is too big,than I cant..smh. I did email Maxspect though to see,I'm still waiting on a response from them.

jedimasterben

They don't tell you the size of the board,unfortunately. Just the spectrum and channel set up. That's what I wanna do,retro it into my t5 fixture for my sps tank. But if the board is too big,than I cant..smh. I did email Maxspect though to see,I'm still waiting on a response from them.

It's Chinese New Year, they won't be back to work for another week or so.

If it's any consolation, the Cree LEDs in this image are exactly 3.45mmx3.45mm. Just do some math :)

razor16kled_pad.jpg

It's Chinese New Year, they won't be back to work for another week or so.

If it's any consolation, the Cree LEDs in this image are exactly 3.45mmx3.45mm. Just do some math :)

razor16kled_pad.jpg

They emailed me back and said they're 3 & 3/8th's all the way around. I'll have to measure when I get home it may fit.

• Like 1
jedimasterben

SO the diodes are of a lesser quality than used in the first generation systems?

No, they are still Cree in origin, but individually the XB-D LEDs are 1/4 the size but also have significantly reduced output compared to the XT-E, but power consumption is still the same per diode.

I ran my light starting at 50 50 IIRC and killed my LPS. Start much lower. I say you would be safe starting at 25 25, then bump up 3-5% a week max and let things acclimate, slow down if you see things bleaching or LPS closing up. I never went above 60 on the whites and 80 on the blues. Unless you are hanging it higher than 12" I would say there is no need to go stronger, even with all SPS. Just speaking from experience these are much more powerful than they appear by eye.

I ran my light starting at 50 50 IIRC and killed my LPS. Start much lower. I say you would be safe starting at 25 25, then bump up 3-5% a week max and let things acclimate, slow down if you see things bleaching or LPS closing up. I never went above 60 on the whites and 80 on the blues. Unless you are hanging it higher than 12" I would say there is no need to go stronger, even with all SPS. Just speaking from experience these are much more powerful than they appear by eye.

Thank you for the info. Everything I have seems to be doing good with the setting I currently have running. I guess there is not a true answer to my question, I just need to play around with the settings and see how my coral reacts to the changes that I make.

No, they are still Cree in origin, but individually the XB-D LEDs are 1/4 the size but also have significantly reduced output compared to the XT-E, but power consumption is still the same per diode.

Where and when can you/us get the newer boards Ben ? At least I thought you mentioned some on the last page lol.

jedimasterben

Where and when can you/us get the newer boards Ben ? At least I thought you mentioned some on the last page lol.

The changes are live to R420R units themselves, but not sure when they'll be selling these new pads. I wouldn't bother much with them IMHO.

The changes are live to R420R units themselves, but not sure when they'll be selling these new pads. I wouldn't bother much with them IMHO.

Yeah seeming you said the switch from XB-D from the XT-E's wasn't a wise choice I wont. I'm going to order one of the boards tomorrow probably once I get home and measure in between my 2 outer bulbs.

jedimasterben

Why did they make the switch? Cheaper diodes, same price for the Razor?

I have no clue, and neither does Coralvue. I don't think Maxspect even knows why, they seem to just do things all willy nilly.

So as far as the purple tint to the Razors. The older version is above my 29, the out of focus tank on the right. The big tank is 3 Coral+ and 3 Blue+ T5 for comparison to color. I have the 120 degree lenses on the Razors, which work well for the 29.

If I stare at the 29 my eyes white balance pretty quickly and it looks good, but if I look at both tanks at once I can see the purple tint. I wonder if the new pucks eliminate some of the purple?

79hBU9.jpg

Thinking of getting 160w 27" light for a mr aqua 12 gallon, thoughts? With the tank being 36" i know it might be short in the corners, but can get 120 optics later. I one day plan on up grading to mr aqua 22 gallon. Thanks

Thinking of getting 160w 27" light for a mr aqua 12 gallon, thoughts? With the tank being 36" i know it might be short in the corners, but can get 120 optics later. I one day plan on up grading to mr aqua 22 gallon. Thanks

I have the 27" Razor over a 36" long 40 breeder tank and it gets pretty good spread over the whole tank. You just have to raise it up high enough to get the spread to the edges, but the loss in intensity from raising it won't be an issue since you won't need to run it very high at all on that small tank. I did replace the optics on mine with the 120 degree ones, and that helped with color blending and a bit with the spread.

I have the 27" Razor over a 36" long 40 breeder tank and it gets pretty good spread over the whole tank. You just have to raise it up high enough to get the spread to the edges, but the loss in intensity from raising it won't be an issue since you won't need to run it very high at all on that small tank. I did replace the optics on mine with the 120 degree ones, and that helped with color blending and a bit with the spread.

thanks for your input.