SaltCritters.com

Maxspect Razor Owners thread

Daveg99

NanoBiscuit

I might have to try setting 0% at the end of the evening and 2% in the morning to see if it does end up with 1% at the half way point. I want to have the moon light effect but not all night long. Although I will probably just put my razor on a timer eventually, that way I can set the moon lights on all night but use the timer to actually power down the light for a few hours.

kriskristofferzen

160W 3 cluster, hung currently a foot over the 60g wide tank. breeder nems in the middle, babies will be moved off center, 60% of the rock is going in the fuge, will just leave some in the corners w/ a little red macro algae for color.

005_zps1599bbbe.jpg

We've got the same setup! I don't have the rimless though. I have my light above my tank about 15-16 inches and the new optics. It's a mixed frag tank though. The light works well and spreads the tank, I was worried that when I got the tank about 2 months ago that I'd definitely need a new one, but just one is doing the trick for now :)

• Like 1
partyboizz01

There are no single perfect settings for a tank, especially a new one. You have to take the time to do more research.

Brown algae in a newer tank is perfectly normal.

I would go heavier in the blue and less white for your LPS corals since these will need less light. It really depends on the coral though. Some torches, generally the more common greens with larger tentacles will need less light than gold torches which like not only more light but more flow as well.

Finally it depends on how high the light is above your tank, and without a PAR meter you will have to observe how the corals do and adjust accordingly.

I run my at 100%/100% peak for my SPS tank and I'm certain this will fry your tank inhabitants.

I have this light on a 16 gallon Nuvo with the legs attached to it
FlowerMama

To start off my rock flowers on Saturday does anyone see an issue w/ these percentages? The breeders will be smack dab in the middle, light is 12" from tank top.

A B

7:00 0 1

9:00 20 30

12:00 35 50

18:00 35 50

20:00 20 30

22:00 0 1

Right now they've been under Kessil A350W with blues 100% except for evening and whites up to 75%. and evening mostly 30%.

I would take blues up to 75% but leave the whites at 35 or so and see how they respond. It's the whites that can do the harm if not acclimated, and the A350W has a ton of blue, so they should be used to it. Even though our eyes can't see blue as well you could try and compare the blue brightness on the kessil with the blue brightness on the Razor and attempt to match it.

• Like 2
FlowerMama

I would take blues up to 75% but leave the whites at 35 or so and see how they respond. It's the whites that can do the harm if not acclimated, and the A350W has a ton of blue, so they should be used to it. Even though are eyes can't see blue as well you could try and compare the blue brightness on the kessil with the blue brightness on the Razor and attempt to match it.

Thanks, I wasn't sure how close to match them up. Would this be better? or keep the whole thing at 75 except the 1st and last?

A B

9:00 20 50

12:00 35 75

18:00 35 75

20:00 20 50

OR

9:00 35 75

20:00 35 75

Thanks, I wasn't sure how close to match them up. Would this be better? or keep the whole thing at 75 except the 1st and last?

A B

9:00 20 50

20:00 20 50

OR

9:00 35 75

20:00 35 75

I think the first is better. I only keep mine at peak for 4 hours but I have a longer ramp up and down. Working well for my tank right now, but you can try it and tweak from there.

FlowerMama

I think the first is better. I only keep mine at peak for 4 hours but I have a longer ramp up and down. Working well for my tank right now, but you can try it and tweak from there.

I don't have the programmable Kessil so it was always fairly high on both and then when I'd get home at 5 I'd turn down the white from 75 to 40-50% and then an hr before bedtime I'd turn the white off completely.

Yep, I'll be playing around with it. That's why it's good for me to do this while at home on the weekend so I can see what better changes need to be made before Monday.

• Like 1

Footprint feedback requested. Thanks in advance.

Actual footprint where coal would be placed is 19x19.

The outer 3" of any side would be acans placed at ~15" water depth.

All other coral would be common LPS. Torch, hammer, frog, monti.

Can I rock a 60w? (1 light)

jedimasterben

Footprint feedback requested. Thanks in advance.

Actual footprint where coal would be placed is 19x19.

The outer 3" of any side would be acans placed at ~15" water depth.

All other coral would be common LPS. Torch, hammer, frog, monti.

Can I rock a 60w? (1 light)

Yep, it should be fine with the wide reflectors.

Anyone use the side mounts but NOT use the velcro? The velcro just seems like it would make it more difficult to take the light off for maintenance. Unfortunately hanging is not an option for me

Hi everyone! I already have a 60W Maxspect Razor Nano on hand and I'm thinking about upgrading the lighting on my 30 gallon tank (36" W x 12" D x 16" H). Could I just buy a second nano? Would that be sufficient lighting for BTA's and LPS corals. Would the spread be enough for the 3 feet of width?

With the wide reflectors you should be ok by spacing them apart a bit.

Trying to decide if I should go this route or just upgrade my current fixture like I've been talking to you about :) Seems like they'd be roughly the same cost. Since you know what my current DIY fixture is like, do you think 2 Maxspect Nanos would provide at least as much light as my 36 Bridgelux LEDS?

jedimasterben

Two units would provide more light, you'd need tighter optics on your current LEDs to match the wide reflectors on the R420Rs.

Two units would provide more light, you'd need tighter optics on your current LEDs to match the wide reflectors on the R420Rs.

I've got 80 degree optics on my current fixture, I think. So if I buy the wide reflectors for the Razor nanos, then I should get more light? Good to know! Still trying to work out my options on a budget. Gotta do something soon because my potentiometers are totally shorting out on the current fixture. Thanks, Ben :)

Jedimasterben-

Please elaborate. Are you just noting that they have wide reflectors, or is that an upgrade/special product/ specific model you're noting I'll need to do?

Anyone use the side mounts but NOT use the velcro? The velcro just seems like it would make it more difficult to take the light off for maintenance. Unfortunately hanging is not an option for me

I had mine over my tank without velcro for a few months before I hung it and never had an issue.

Thanks Carl! Now i can sleep at night

I think there are some thumb screws that come with it to hold the brackets iirc, and if you have the vertical part of the angle on the outside of the tank its virtually impossible for it to fall into the tank.

partyboizz01

Yeah I didn't even think Bout using the Velcro..it seems stupid!!