Coral Vue Hydros

Maxspect Razor Owners thread

Daveg99

Just an example but you can start with this and tinker. I wouldn't go above 35% on channel A(you may even want to start lower) to start since you have softies. A is the (mostly)white channel and B is the blues. Use the dial/push button as mentioned in the manual.

Time point 1. 11:00 AM A:0 B:1

Time point 2. 1: 30 PM A: 10 B: 20

Time point 3. 4:30 PM A: 35 B:35

Time point 4. 7:30 PM A:35 B:35

Time point 5. 9:30 PM A:10 B:20

Time Point 6. 11:00 PM A:0 B:1

Hope that helps.

Thank You, exactly what I was looking for. I notice the blue side is higher. I don't care for a too blue look so can I use the same total and just raise the whites and lower the blue? Ex: time point 2 A 20 B 10? Just trying to understand

Thank You, exactly what I was looking for. I notice the blue side is higher. I don't care for a too blue look so can I use the same total and just raise the whites and lower the blue? Ex: time point 2 A 20 B 10? Just trying to understand

Yes you could do that, or just lower the blues. Just keep a close eye on the tank for algae build up and most importantly how the corals react and adjust accordingly. IME lower light has much less of a negative effect than too much light.

Less light is always better then way too much, too soon. As to blues ....... everyone is different and some might prefer more white light effect. But whites aren't the ones "responsible for coral growth" as much as blues, purple and complementary colors of light spectrum. I would fallow Carl's simple directions for first few weeks. You can experiment with adjustments and values then after.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Hello All, I am new to the site, This is my first post, The reason I joined was because I just upgraded my lights to the Maxspect Razor 27 inch, 16 k. I had 2x 120 Razors again 16k on a previous tank but never setit up due to fianancial reasons.

My current system has been running for a year, Initially with 6 T-5s. My tank is a Rimless Custom 70, much the same as a 65.

I recall when I had the Razor in the past that I found it very difficult to program and had only ran it on Manual Mode. This time around I want to set it up on Preset mode. I've had it a week and still climatizing.I really need a step by step instructions for programming, can any one help me.post-84629-0-18672500-1399693281_thumb.jpg

The best way to do it would be to call their customer service and they can walk you through it. Have the time setting presets that you want ready and make them stay on the phone until its done. I would only say that the dial will move to the field you want to select, pushing it will select, then moving the dial again will change it, then pushing again will get you back to moving mode. Pushing and holding it gets you back to the main menu IIRC.

Thank you carl, After trying a few times I set it up on 6 presets and everything was great but at the end of the cycle it shut off, but then 10 minutes later it turned on again, nuts. So I set it up on a timer to come on at noon and go through the presets and shut off at midnight. It seems to be working fine. I had come home one day and it was at 100 on both A and B and was it ever bright. I loved it and the Corals were good but then I thought maybe long term I'd burn the Corals up so I went back to the presets. I think I must of changed the mode by accident that morning while fiddling around with it, but all is good now.

Islandoftiki

Thank you carl, After trying a few times I set it up on 6 presets and everything was great but at the end of the cycle it shut off, but then 10 minutes later it turned on again, nuts. So I set it up on a timer to come on at noon and go through the presets and shut off at midnight. It seems to be working fine. I had come home one day and it was at 100 on both A and B and was it ever bright. I loved it and the Corals were good but then I thought maybe long term I'd burn the Corals up so I went back to the presets. I think I must of changed the mode by accident that morning while fiddling around with it, but all is good now.

It took me a little while to get the hang of programming mine, but once you get it, it suddenly becomes really easy.

• Like 1
partyboizz01

My current settings. Everything seems to be doing fine after one week.

9am A 0 B 0

12:30pm A 5 B 45

4pm A 45 B 65

6pm A 70 B 85

9pm A 25 B 75

11:30pm A 0 B 0

I also think the moon lights are too bright. Thats why you see the 0's at the start and the end.

I just order mine last night.. I like your settings, But if I'm correct you run your tank for 16 hours I could be reading this wrong. I thought that will develop algae on the glass.

I just order mine last night.. I like your settings, But if I'm correct you run your tank for 16 hours I could be reading this wrong. I thought that will develop algae on the glass.

When ramping up and down the number of hours lights are on is not as much of a concern as on/off lights. You also quoted a post from 2012. :)

My schedule

06:00AM A-00 B-01

01:00PM A-00 B-75

02:30PM A-80 B-100

08:00PM A-80 B-100

09:30PM A-00 B-75

10:30PM A-00 B-00

• Like 1
FlowerMama

I've had the 16K light on since the 19th but just manually, nothing in there but water and sand. I just learned how to do the Time today and found how to get to the other settings. For now I put it on Preset 2.

So, the night light stays on all night til morning? I just haven't played with it much but do know when I get my rock flower nems in there I'll have to make a change. Might not be too bad, for half the day my nems currently get 100" blue and like 65-75% blue for the Kessil 350W. So going from LED to LED shouldn't be too bad, right? What would anyone suggest for the rock flowers since they're happy w/ moderate to moderate bright? I know they pucker more when it's too bright and open up more relaxed when the light is lessened.

I've had the 16K light on since the 19th but just manually, nothing in there but water and sand. I just learned how to do the Time today and found how to get to the other settings. For now I put it on Preset 2.

So, the night light stays on all night til morning? I just haven't played with it much but do know when I get my rock flower nems in there I'll have to make a change. Might not be too bad, for half the day my nems currently get 100" blue and like 65-75% blue for the Kessil 350W. So going from LED to LED shouldn't be too bad, right? What would anyone suggest for the rock flowers since they're happy w/ moderate to moderate bright? I know they pucker more when it's too bright and open up more relaxed when the light is lessened.

What size tank? Are you going to hang the light or use the brackets? Also do you have the 160w(3 clusters) 120w(2 clusters) or the 60w(1 cluster). The transition shouldn't be bad, just start as low as possible and go up from there. I learned the hard way with this light. It is much more powerful than it looks by eye.

FlowerMama

160W 3 cluster, hung currently a foot over the 60g wide tank. breeder nems in the middle, babies will be moved off center, 60% of the rock is going in the fuge, will just leave some in the corners w/ a little red macro algae for color.

005_zps1599bbbe.jpg

• Like 3
LambdaboyX

Is this fixture still the best? I am eyeing the 27" one for my 37g tall. Are there any newer versions coming out in the next month or so?

What is the difference between the 10k one and the 16k one? Seems like most folks get the 16k one?

No one will ever agree on what is "the best" LED light -- there is way too much personal preference as to what goes into that. The Maxspect is very good for what it offers at it's price point though. Good spectrum including the 420 wavelength. Ability to tweak the white and blue balance to your own preference. Ability to (on a limited basis) program a dawn, dusk, and moonlight without needing a separate controller. Large heatsinks keep it pretty cool without a lot of fan noise. Now, if you want to customize your LED array/want different LED colors in the array or want more channels to control than just white/blue or want more controllability than just setting 6 time points than the Maxspect is not a good light for you. Also, I suggest checking one out in person if possible. Some people get a lot of disco-ball effect with their Maxspect. This can be rectified in my experience with a change to the 120 degree optics, but that does drop PAR.

Maxspect has teased that there is a new light they will be unveiling at InterZoo this week. Even after the unveiling, it probably won't be for sale for a few weeks. One thing that they have mentioned about the new night though is that it is controllable via smartphone.

The difference between 10k and 16k is the ratio of the white to blue LEDs. But, because you can controll these two channels independent of each other anyway, you can get a 10k look out of the 16k light and visa versa.

• Like 3
FlowerMama

This Might be a dumb question. I just got my light...is the time in Military

yep- I put mine up just barely 2 wks ago and was like ....oh.

• Like 1

This Might be a dumb question. I just got my light...is the time in Military

Yes, basic math is handy, or just ghetto tape a calculator to it LOL!

• Like 2

I posted this in my thread, copying here:

Time White Blue

---------------

06:00 0% 1%

13:00 10% 100%

17:00 100% 100%

21:00 10% 100%

22:00 0% 0%

13 inches above glass tops. Standard reflectors.

I also have a 36" BuildMyLED strip light on the front of the tank to provide extra light across the front and at the front sides since the Razor is not enough light for a full SPS 40 breeder.

I posted this in my thread, copying here:

Time White Blue

---------------

06:00 0% 1%

13:00 10% 100%

17:00 100% 100%

21:00 10% 100%

22:00 0% 0%

13 inches above glass tops. Standard reflectors.

I also have a 36" BuildMyLED strip light on the front of the tank to provide extra light across the front and at the front sides since the Razor is not enough light for a full SPS 40 breeder.

Just curious, as I have always wondered, what does the light do between 22:00 and 6:00? Does the blue go to 1% halfway in between, does it wait until 6:00, or does it go to 1% at 22:01?

Just curious, as I have always wondered, what does the light do between 22:00 and 6:00? Does the blue go to 1% halfway in between, does it wait until 6:00, or does it go to 1% at 22:01?

That's an interesting question, I never thought about it. The way the timer works it attempts to hit the light percentage at the time specified. Since there is nothing below 1% the light stays off until exactly 6AM when it turns on at 1%. Only whole percentages are available, which probably answers your question. If I had set the 6AM timepoint as 2% blue I am guessing it would come on around 2AM or so at 1% and hit 2% at 6AM. There's math involved somewhere... brain hurts....

60 available positions each hour since it appears to only change brightness on the minute. If I set 22:00 to be 0% and 6AM to be 10% ... let's see.

8 hours or 480 minutes. If it tried to even the ramp it would increase the light by 1% every 48 minutes so it hits 10% at 6AM. I think.

• Like 1
partyboizz01

Don't know what I'm doing But can somebody give me the perfect settings I work from 7am to 1130pm the settings I have now aren't good. It's developing Alot of Brown algae on the glass and sand. Plus my torch coral and frogspawn open and close...I'm a beginner so please don't make fun. I just don't want to kill or bleach my only two corals

Don't know what I'm doing But can somebody give me the perfect settings I work from 7am to 1130pm the settings I have now aren't good. It's developing Alot of Brown algae on the glass and sand. Plus my torch coral and frogspawn open and close...I'm a beginner so please don't make fun. I just don't want to kill or bleach my only two corals

There are no single perfect settings for a tank, especially a new one. You have to take the time to do more research.

Brown algae in a newer tank is perfectly normal.

I would go heavier in the blue and less white for your LPS corals since these will need less light. It really depends on the coral though. Some torches, generally the more common greens with larger tentacles will need less light than gold torches which like not only more light but more flow as well.

Finally it depends on how high the light is above your tank, and without a PAR meter you will have to observe how the corals do and adjust accordingly.

I run my at 100%/100% peak for my SPS tank and I'm certain this will fry your tank inhabitants.

• Like 1