Coral Vue Hydros

Maxspect Razor Owners thread

Daveg99

Trying to save $300.00 from buying a PAR meter. I have a Pico II (15 x 15 x 15) and a Razor Nano with stock bracket which places is @ 7" over the water. I have a few LPS and a Monti and Pavona. Can somebody give me a ball park estimate on what the max power should be on either channel. I'm not asking for a lighting schedule or what looks good as that is subjective. I'm just looking for something I can work with. In other words would 50% on both channels be the high end of what I am looking for. Once I have an idea of my maximum settings I can play around with schedules and color. I'm aware that I need to acclimate my corals to higher light. Thanks.

kriskristofferzen

Hey all,

I upgraded my 40 breeder to a 60deep blue frag tank 48x24x12. I have the 160watt version. Right now I am using mounting brackets and low intensity. I have a mixed tank. I was wondering if the nano version can attach to the 160 watt version that I have via the connector rods? It would give some extra coverage to one side of the tank. Right now I'm not looking to suspend the fixture high above the tank so I was wondering if this might work. Any suggestions? I'm not sure if the new reflectors would make a difference either. Thoughts?

jedimasterben

Trying to save $300.00 from buying a PAR meter. I have a Pico II (15 x 15 x 15) and a Razor Nano with stock bracket which places is @ 7" over the water. I have a few LPS and a Monti and Pavona. Can somebody give me a ball park estimate on what the max power should be on either channel. I'm not asking for a lighting schedule or what looks good as that is subjective. I'm just looking for something I can work with. In other words would 50% on both channels be the high end of what I am looking for. Once I have an idea of my maximum settings I can play around with schedules and color. I'm aware that I need to acclimate my corals to higher light. Thanks.

Start it at 25% and increase it no more than 5% every week or every other week (every other week is preferred).

Hey all,

I upgraded my 40 breeder to a 60deep blue frag tank 48x24x12. I have the 160watt version. Right now I am using mounting brackets and low intensity. I have a mixed tank. I was wondering if the nano version can attach to the 160 watt version that I have via the connector rods? It would give some extra coverage to one side of the tank. Right now I'm not looking to suspend the fixture high above the tank so I was wondering if this might work. Any suggestions? I'm not sure if the new reflectors would make a difference either. Thoughts?

I'd get the wide reflectors and go from there, though IMHO the three cluster model only has LEDs going to 20" of the 27" length, so its a lot for it to cover that extra 28" with no direct coverage.
  • Like 2
kriskristofferzen

Thanks Jedi , do you think that a nano would attach to this unit and give a lil extra coverage.

I was wondering if the new connectors might work to do this? Thanks! I'll look I to the reflectors

jedimasterben

I have no idea on connecting the two together - I'd imagine it's possible, but I don't have any hands-on experience with that particular aspect.

Hey all,

You could place a Razor Nano on the cord end of the 27" one you have, and that would definitely help the spread, but kinda pricey... :wacko:

Best bet is to make arrangements to hang it higher with the standard 90 degree lenses and up the intensity... B)

Would the 20" Razor with both sides upgraded with the 120* reflector work for a tank that is 30x12x16?

Depends on placement/ distribution of your live rock structure, intensity needs (i.e. coral types) and how high you hang it above the tank...

Would probably work in most cases... :happy:

• Like 1
Nanofreak79

I had one of my razors over a 36x18x12 when they just had standard optics, and had dark spots along the edges. You would have to hang it high to get full coverage.

Would the 20" Razor with both sides upgraded with the 120* reflector work for a tank that is 30x12x16?
If it were me, I'd do the 27". That's just if I were to purchase one again. I had a 20" on a pico 18" tank.

I have one with standard 90 degree optics over my new 40B gorgonian tank (build thread to come), and have it hung 12" over the top of the tank trim - maxing out at 75%A: 65%B and have no dim areas - in fact I love the spread at that height... :wub: No disco or color separation either, and good shimmer (i.e. not too much)... B)

Start it at 25% and increase it no more than 5% every week or every other week (every other week is preferred).

I'd get the wide reflectors and go from there, though IMHO the three cluster model only has LEDs going to 20" of the 27" length, so its a lot for it to cover that extra 28" with no direct coverage.

Isn't %25 a little low? I am trying to figure out the optimal settings for my IM16..... I started at %35, then %40 up to %55 at the moment. Light is just shy of 5.5" from the water line. Any thoughts?

I have one with standard 90 degree optics over my new 40B gorgonian tank (build thread to come), and have it hung 12" over the top of the tank trim - maxing out at 75%A: 65%B and have no dim areas - in fact I love the spread at that height... :wub: No disco or color separation either, and good shimmer (i.e. not too much)... B)

Do you have a picture of that setup so I could get a look at the light spread?

Do you have a picture of that setup so I could get a look at the light spread?

I do, but I have not yet had the time to start up the build thread for that tank - will see what I can do after I get back home from work this afternoon or evening...

hi all, i'm looking to buy a 120w 10k razor second hand and was wondering if the 10k looked any good? and if it produced good color from sps

cheers

kriskristofferzen

You could place a Razor Nano on the cord end of the 27" one you have, and that would definitely help the spread, but kinda pricey... :wacko:

Best bet is to make arrangements to hang it higher with the standard 90 degree lenses and up the intensity... B)

ok so if i got the optics, how high should I hang it? 16 inches maybe? thanks! My next concern is bleaching corals as it's only 12 inch tank! It does look awesome though :)

ok so if i got the optics, how high should I hang it? 16 inches maybe? thanks! My next concern is bleaching corals as it's only 12 inch tank! It does look awesome though :)

Height is totally dependent on your "needs", but 16" is a good start, and the hanging kits allow for a range of height above the tank, so allow your light hangers to be a good bit above the tank for maximum range. With only a 12" deep tank, the wider "optics" (actually they are simply reflectors) would be a good thing and help with spread, especially since you don't have to "punch" through a bunch of water depth...

Hey all, I'm thinking of purchasing the 16k 27" model but i'm having trouble figuring out how to acclimate my corals to the change from T5 to LED's ... anyone make this move and have any suggestions for me?

I'm running 4 x 39w T5's by ATI

jedimasterben

Like mentioned above, start at 25% and go up by 5% weekly or every other week (every other preferred). If you see corals begin to brown and extend their polyps, increase by another 5% that week. If you see corals bleach, immediately back it down by 10% or more.

• Like 3

Like mentioned above, start at 25% and go up by 5% weekly or every other week (every other preferred). If you see corals begin to brown and extend their polyps, increase by another 5% that week. If you see corals bleach, immediately back it down by 10% or more.

Thank you sir, I'm excited to give LED's a second shot and i'm sure the Maxspect is the right fixture for me.

So to you guys that have hung the light with the included kit here is a stupid question.

How do I adjust it down, it goes up easy enough but for the life of me I can't figure out how to bring it back down.

Good advice.

So to you guys that have hung the light with the included kit here is a stupid question.

How do I adjust it down, it goes up easy enough but for the life of me I can't figure out how to bring it back down.

Unscrew (just a couple of turns is necessary) the knurled "nut" on top of the larger silver cylinder and push it in while pulling the cable back up - takes a time or two to get the hang of it admittedly, and is easier if the light is not already hanging, but really not all that difficult.

• 2 weeks later...

I think this would be a roughly $200 upgrade path. Buying the light and controller together may not be overly competitive with the AI/Ecotech options, but could still be a viable upgrade for those who already own the light. Please help me gauge interest and like this post or PM me.

Is this in the works? Very curious.