Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Maxspect Razor Owners thread

Daveg99

At almost 36" long you aren't going to get coverage on the edges with the 20.5" unit unless you hang it super high, which would cause a ton of spill-over. That would be fine if you are cool with that. Since the tank is shallow, you would have no problem generating a ton of PAR at the sand-bed even if the light is hung high.

If you don't want a ton of light spill-over with a small footprint like that, I'd think a 27" (160W) unit hung fairly low would be the only way. But with a tank that shallow, you probably couldn't run it over 30% ever if you did the 160W.

Thanks PRJ, just what I needed to know.

• Like 1

Thanks PRJ, just what I needed to know.

It might be heresy on this thread, but tanks like a Mr. Aqua 12L are just begging for a long, thin LED light. Something like BuildMyLED.com You can get a 30" fixture in their 14000K Reef Spectrum for $196. You could tank mount it or hang it, I imagine, and you can choose your beam angle to determine your own coverage.

I love my Razor, but I have to think all that power is wasted on a tank 9 inches tall and 8 inches wide.

• Like 1

It might be heresy on this thread, but tanks like a Mr. Aqua 12L are just begging for a long, thin LED light. Something like BuildMyLED.com You can get a 30" fixture in their 14000K Reef Spectrum for $196. You could tank mount it or hang it, I imagine, and you can choose your beam angle to determine your own coverage.

I love my Razor, but I have to think all that power is wasted on a tank 9 inches tall and 8 inches wide.

Yeah, I know what you mean. I really just want to buy a cool programmable fixture that I just have to worry about setting it up at the right height over a tank.

Running at 30% would probably save a lot on electricity!

At almost 36" long you aren't going to get coverage on the edges with the 20.5" unit unless you hang it super high, which would cause a ton of spill-over. That would be fine if you are cool with that. Since the tank is shallow, you would have no problem generating a ton of PAR at the sand-bed even if the light is hung high.

If you don't want a ton of light spill-over with a small footprint like that, I'd think a 27" (160W) unit hung fairly low would be the only way. But with a tank that shallow, you probably couldn't run it over 30% ever if you did the 160W.

• Like 1

Yeah, I know what you mean. I really just want to buy a cool programmable fixture that I just have to worry about setting it up at the right height over a tank.

I definitely understand that desire! :)

Good luck with your decision!

After reading the entire thread, had a question still... How would the Razor nono work out on the Biocube 29? It seems everything go with the 20 inch, 16K 120W. I know that the AI SOL Nino is a very popular fixture for the Biocube 29.

Thanks

After reading the entire thread, had a question still... How would the Razor nono work out on the Biocube 29? It seems everything go with the 20 inch, 16K 120W. I know that the AI SOL Nino is a very popular fixture for the Biocube 29. Thanks

Yeah, a Razor Nano should be fine over a 20.8"x20.1" Biocube 29. I think those dimensions include the AIO section, right? So really it's more like 20x17 or something. The Nano will cover that and still give you 75-100 Par on the sand on the edges if it's pumped up. (This is an estimate by myself based on PAR readings I've seen in other folks' posting on the 'net. All predictions wrong or your money back! ;) )

Well, I was planning on slowing gathering equipment for nano build, but I came across a great deal on a complete and running IM Nuvo 30. However, the light that came with it, skylight dimmable dual strip 18, will not be sufficient enough to keep the corals I want to have in the future. Additionally, the adjustment knob for the blue does not function properly, which concerns me. I was thinking of using a razor nano for the tank but I am worry that this might not be enough for the tank.

Please let me know what you think would be good for this tank.

Rob

Hey Guys and Gals,

I'm about to upgrade my LED lighting and think I'm going to go with a 120W 16K Razor.

Where should I look to purchase it? I'm hoping someone has a sale going on right now with at least 10% off.

Thanks for the great and informative thread!

B.S.

Hey Guys and Gals,

I'm about to upgrade my LED lighting and think I'm going to go with a 120W 16K Razor.

Where should I look to purchase it? I'm hoping someone has a sale going on right now with at least 10% off.

B.S.

Sales on Razors are either extremely rare or non-existent from what I've heard. A lot of times, you'll see sites with "10% off everything" and then the fine print will say "Not good for Maxspect and EcoTech" or something like that. I think the manufacturer tries to enforce their own pricing and wants everyone to sell at full retail.

Hey Guys and Gals,

B.S.

If you are near lancaster pa,....

0768c96984c148e2ba4d0ecb2507d766.jpg

I just bought mine and used this coupon on a razor nano....

Thanks! I am not even close to PA, I am in TX but I have done mail order business with these guys many times before. I will check into this...fingers crossed!

B.S.

Oh well, they won't honor it for online sales. Too bad too I would have bought one and an auto top off system. Funny the gal who answered was interested in making my sale too. I said "No, I can get full price anywhere". I may just go for a different LED fixture, any other good, and quiet models out there for a IM Nuvo 16?

Thanks again!

B.S.

I want to upgrade to LEDs from my current 4x24w T5s for my 20g tall nano reef (24'x12'). Go you guys think a maxspect nano would work to keep LPS and a couple SPS?

Probably. Just keep the sps near the middle

• Like 1
Islandoftiki

Am I correct that if you want moonlights for only half of the night that you would set your channel B like this for 1 and 6 (disregard the settings in 2-5, they're just theoretical):

1) 8:00 A 0% B0%

2) 9:00 A 50% B 50%

3) 11:00 A 60% B 65%

4) 16:00 A 60% B 65%

5) 18:00 A 50% B 50%

6) 22:00 A 0% B 1%

I'm assuming the B channel will stay at 1% until half-way between 22:00 and 8:00 where it will shut off.

Is this correct?

Am I correct that if you want moonlights for only half of the night that you would set your channel B like this for 1 and 6 (disregard the settings in 2-5, they're just theoretical):

1) 8:00 A 0% B0%

2) 9:00 A 50% B 50%

3) 11:00 A 60% B 65%

4) 16:00 A 60% B 65%

5) 18:00 A 50% B 50%

6) 22:00 A 0% B 1%

I'm assuming the B channel will stay at 1% until half-way between 22:00 and 8:00 where it will shut off.

Is this correct?

That's correct. I wasn't sure myself about this kind of thing so I tested it, and yes, that's exactly how it works.

would this be my best option for LED lights under $300??

What's your tank? What kind of corals do you want to keep? Planning on hanging it from ceiling or tank mounting?

Well I pulled the trigger on the Maxspect Razor 120W in 10K. If I was paying full price I was going to buy from a forum supporter so I went on and just ordered from Marinedepot.com. That Fish Place didn't get my business.

I'm pretty sure this lamp is way overkill for a Nuvo 16 but I wanted some flexibility and the ability to use it on a much larger tank if I am so inclined. Plus something that is pretty quiet was high on my list as this tank is in Living Room Central and some serious TV watching goes on in there. I figure the lamp will be dimmed down a good bit and the fan probably won't have to run much or maybe not at all.

I hope this is a good lamp……sure is pricey!

B.S.

• Like 2