Pod Your Reef

Maxspect Razor Owners thread

Daveg99

Iv'e got a 20g (24x12) with LPS and a couple SPS. As for hanging or mounting? I haven't even thought of that yet, what's better?

I hung mine from the ceiling with the included hanging mounts. I have the 160w, but I bet the 60w comes with them, too. I think it just looks cleaner. And it gives you completely unblocked access to your tank from any angle. You'll never have a reason to take the unit off or move it. Also, it lets you decide how much height you want, rather than being stuck with however many inches the legs gives you.

Here's what it looked like right after I hung it.

post-82078-0-72340500-1388941953_thumb.jpg

Well I pulled the trigger on the Maxspect Razor 120W in 10K. If I was paying full price I was going to buy from a forum supporter so I went on and just ordered from Marinedepot.com. That Fish Place didn't get my business.

I'm pretty sure this lamp is way overkill for a Nuvo 16 but I wanted some flexibility and the ability to use it on a much larger tank if I am so inclined. Plus something that is pretty quiet was high on my list as this tank is in Living Room Central and some serious TV watching goes on in there. I figure the lamp will be dimmed down a good bit and the fan probably won't have to run much or maybe not at all.

I hope this is a good lamp……sure is pricey!

B.S.

You'll definitely be able to make it work great for ya!

Just as an idea about the fans: in three months, I don't even know if mine have turned on. So, either the heat sink is so efficient they aren't needed when running around 50% intensity, or they are so quiet you cant hear them. Either way, QUIET! ;)

Enjoy your light.

I'm loving my new 10000K Maxspect Razor Nano. Here it is over my 30 gallon cube (20"W x 18"D x 20"H) seahorse tank. I'm very happy with the spread and color blending and so far all of my corals seem very happy under the new light. Its been on the tank for a little under a month now.

photo4-9.jpg

• Like 1

Lovely tank, love the curly gorgonians (I Think). The 10k looks to have great spectrum and I think your corals will really accelerate their growth. What levels are you running at?

Thanks!

• Like 1

Has anyone had there maxspect razor 120w 16k only work backwards only 6 month old not happy at all , yesterday morning I noticed my timer was 6 mins behind so went to adjust time so turn the button to adjust the setting and it won't go upwards only backwards but when it got to 00:00 It wouldn't do anything else and same for the % setting only go downward so frustrating. Will be contacting supplier tomorrow to see what can be do about the situation. Has anyone else had this problem as can't find anything about online only that some have melted.

Lovely tank, love the curly gorgonians (I Think). The 10k looks to have great spectrum and I think your corals will really accelerate their growth. What levels are you running at? Thanks!

Thank you! The curly corals are actually not gorgonians, but are part of the black coral family. They're got hard black skeletons and are usually just called spiral wire corals. I really like the spectrum on the 10K fixture, since I prefer light that is a bit more white. I think that my photosynthetic gorgonians will really take off in growth under this new fixture. I run it both channels at 85% for the bulk of the day.

A: 0 B: 0 7:30 am

A: 35 B: 50 10:30 am

A: 65 B: 65 1:30 pm

A: 0 B: 0 8:15 pm

A: 0 B: 1 11:15 pm

A: 0 B: 0 12:00 am

What about this as a light cycle? Brings the lunar lights on for a short amount of time.

A: 0 B: 0 7:30 am

A: 35 B: 50 10:30 am

A: 65 B: 65 1:30 pm

A: 0 B: 0 8:15 pm

A: 0 B: 1 11:15 pm

A: 0 B: 0 12:00 am

What about this as a light cycle? Brings the lunar lights on for a short amount of time.

So, complete darkness from 8:15 to 9:45, and then 0:1 from 9:45pm to about 11:37pm? What's the point of that? I'd think the lights might bother stuff that has already settled into the darkness.

Anyone have a good suggestion on a light schedule for my situation?

Tank is kept in a room with 1 window that has blinds on it, but light still gets through. It's not in the direct path of the light, but it's brighter than a dark room in there. So there will be light in the room from basically 7AM-7PM everyday.

I work 9-5:30, and usually stay up until about 11 at night, I would like the tank to be lit up when I am home.

I'm thinking I start the light of at about noon, have it build up until about 4, keep it at max light from 4-8, and then have it get dimmer between 8-11, until its just moonlights from 11-noon the following day.

Anyone else have a better suggestion?

Ignore %s of output right now, I don't have the tank set up yet, I'm just planning for when it's ready. Maybe my max from 4-8 will be 50%, or 75%, or even 100%, I don't know yet, but I just want to get a daily schedule ready for it.

jedimasterben

Photosynthesis has a minimum starting point, and I doubt that the incident light will be anywhere near that. I live in FL, and a tank I have sitting in front of a window, and at noon with the shades closed I only measure a couple of PAR.

Ok so I got my light hung and here is my first run on the automatic setting, what does everyone think?

It's a 20.5" 16k light over a IM Nuno 16, and I work from 9-5 everyday, so I have the light set to it being on when I'm at home.

Point 1: 10:00 AM

A: 0%

B: 1%

Point 2: 3:00 PM

A: 25%

B: 35%

Point 3: 5:00 PM

A: 60%

B: 50%

Point 4: 9:00 PM

A: 40%

B: 30%

Point 5: 10:00 PM

A: 15%

B: 20%

Point 6: 11:00 PM

Actually made some changes. Here is my new schedule, what should I adjust?

Point 1: 11:00 AM

A: 1%

B: 2%

Point 2: 2:00 PM

A: 15%

B: 25%

Point 3: 5:00 PM

A: 50%

B: 40%

Point 4: 8:00 PM

A: 30%

B: 30%

Point 5: 10:00 PM

A: 10%

B: 20%

Point 6: 11:00 PM

I'm interested to see if any 160w owners have their light mounted with brackets. I have to use a lid because of jumping gobies and blennies which means I have to physically remove the light and put it on the floor, then remove the glass top to access the tank. Ceiling mounting is off limits for me due to landlord restrictions. So I was wondering if anyone has fabricated mounting arms that can be bolted to the tank stand. I'd be interested in getting those dimensions and materials list. Thanks.

Hey guys, I've got a Nuvo16 and was checking out the lights. I see many people are running the 160w 16k version, but is that necessary for my size tank? I want to be able to grow all types of coral, SPS included. I'm just trying to gather a price point for all lights I'm looking at. So would the Nano version be enough, or do I need to spend the extra $ for the 160w 16k light?? Thanks.

120w version will be good, 160w is definitely overkill. nano would be ok but it might be dim on the edges depending on how you mount it. SPS should be ok under the nano but probably only in the center.

Is anyone going to try the 120 degree reflectors? I was thinking about it. I'm running the IM Nuvo 24 tank so I could use the additional spread versus light penetration because it's such a shallow tank.

Is anyone going to try the 120 degree reflectors? I was thinking about it. I'm running the IM Nuvo 24 tank so I could use the additional spread versus light penetration because it's such a shallow tank.

I'm considering it on my Nuvo30. Are they available now?

Just got a 10k nano razor for my 28 gallon nanocube. Very happy with it,good color,and everyone seems happy so far. Plus had a coupon that knocked $45 off it. Very pleased with the purchase.

• Like 1

Hi guys i just mounted the razor nano 16k on my 29biocube hqi and the light seems to be hanging down too much, I'm using the mounting arms and they are almost fully extended.

any suggestions how i can correct the problem without hanging them from the ceiling?

Hi guys i just mounted the razor nano 16k on my 29biocube hqi and the light seems to be hanging down too much, I'm using the mounting arms and they are almost fully extended.

any suggestions how i can correct the problem without hanging them from the ceiling?

I had the same problem with mine on my nanocube. I ended up (until I order another set of mounting arms)using egg crate to cover my tank and then cutting a section of the egg crate to fit under the light to help support it.

• Like 1

There's an alternate set of arms you can get that are supposed to be longer according to the guy at Maxspect. I ordered them and they should have been here Friday except everything got snowed in and the city is shut down... Hopefully I'll have it Monday and will post a review. I also ordered the new 120 degree optics which I'll also be posting about on here.

• Like 2

Ok folks, it took a while to get these with the big snow storm we got that shut the entire city down for 5 days, but here they are.

94BCF490-orig_zps7cd930ac.jpg

First, the new 120 degree optics that you can buy to replace the 90 degree optics that come standard.

4AA15AAC-orig_zps38d8271e.jpg

ECD128A9-orig_zps1f775f01.jpg

Secondly, this is their alternative stainless steel arm kit that you can buy for fifty bucks.

My hope is to be able to move my Razr Nano about an inch further forward on my IM Nuvo 30 tank so it sits more centered on the tank. This kit comes with four right angle arms, two straight bars (I assume to connect to Razors together). The arms are supposed to be longer than the stock arms, so if they are, that's the way I'll go. Otherwise, the other option with this kit would to mount the light rotated 90 degrees on the tank and attached on either side.

1E67DADB-orig_zps0ed77366.jpg

So, that's what the items look like. I'll post more tonight when I get home from work and see how these work out.

Stay tuned!