inTank Media Baskets

Maxspect Razor Owners thread

Daveg99

• 2 weeks later...

I hate the velcro. Has anybody removed it? I'll live with it if it's going to be a pain to clean the adhesive from the glass.

I already loved this fixture, but today I got the 120 degree reflectors and I love it even more.

• 3 weeks later...

What light setting do my fellow Razor owners go with when they want to take a FTS on their iphone? We don't have a DSLR and I haven't been able to come up with a setting on my light that looks even halfway decent. Do any of you have a favorite white% blue% that you switch to for pictures?

What light setting do my fellow Razor owners go with when they want to take a FTS on their iphone? We don't have a DSLR and I haven't been able to come up with a setting on my light that looks even halfway decent. Do any of you have a favorite white% blue% that you switch to for pictures?

I was planning to set the manual mode to whatever balance seems to work best for photography with my iPhone. I just got my light though so I haven't had a chance to figure it out yet though. I know with my old LED fixture, I had to turn the blues way down in comparison to the whites to take a decent photo. The iPhone always picks up way too much blue.

I just got my new 160 W, 16K Razor last week. Its been on my tank since last Thursday evening.

Woohoo! Love getting new reef goodies.

photo-16.jpg

The official box inspector hard at work. She takes her job very seriously.

photo2-17.jpg

photo3-18.jpg

photo1-17.jpg

"So what is this thing anyway?"

photo5-14.jpg

"You've got to be kidding me! Its another reef toy isn't it?"

photo4-19.jpg

Sitting on the tank with the old light still turned on.

photo6-11.jpg

Turned the old light off and turned on the new one! This is only at 25% on each channel.

photo7-8.jpg

Work in progress.

Workinprogress.jpg

Got it hanging over the tank!

Lightabovetank.jpg

Lighthanging.jpg

I used two of these hooks in my ceiling for the hanging kit.

Hook.jpg

I'm ramping it up slowly. Here it is at 35% power on both channels.

LightonTank7-12-14.jpg

• Like 6

Yey Felicia! I still haven't learned how to take pics under this light. I know I have to turn blues way down whether it's with my Nikon D80 or my Samsung 3 but I still haven't gotten to the point where I want to be. I'm also considering raising my light a little. I haven't found the magic number yet, but when I do I'm hoping my rock flowers will look amazing.

• Like 2

I haven't found the magic number yet, but when I do I'm hoping my rock flowers will look amazing.

I ran my maxspect at a max of 75% blue and 50% white. I found that if I ran my whites higher than my blues I had major problem with burning and algae. I rammed my lights twice a day. So 4 on 8 off twice a day get me 2 cycles of light in stead of 1 cycle of light. This increased my sps growth! didnt see any effect on the soft or lps.

I will turn them way down and see if that helps. So far my FTS haven't looked good at all, probably because I have the lights up too high for photos.

So far I've been running mine at the highest 40% white, 70% blue. I too just don't want to burn anything, esp since it's my rock flower tank and they don't cost pennies. In my 34 I had 100% blue and like 75% white and some RFAs have had little growth so I think together they were probably both too high of settings under my Kessil.

I haven't found the perfect number on each side to take picture either.

famousdan314

So was looking for some opinions or suggestions. I have the r420 60w razor over my JBJ 30 which is essentially a 23" x 16" footprint in the display area. I haven't had a hard time keeping softies or lps but just added my first two sps frags. Was curious if people had success with the wide angle lenses that replace the stock ones. I know they may lower the par value however I haven't been running my light at 100% on either channel. Highest setting is A: 55% B:70% and everyone looks pretty happy I think I could just use a little more coverage at the edges.

marcoitareef

Hi everyone!

Do you think that it would be a better choice to have r420r 120W or two Razor Nano 60W on my 31" x 16" x 20" (80x40x50 cm) ??

two Nano 60W would be a better fit to cover my tank?

(I still don't have a reef tank :D)

I would like to have no restriction on coral selection, but 160W razor, it's too much consumption for me.. So I was thinking on 120W or two nano 60W. Would I be limited on easier corals or even something more difficult?

thank you!

Hi everyone!

Do you think that it would be a better choice to have r420r 120W or two Razor Nano 60W on my 31" x 16" x 20" (80x40x50 cm) ??

two Nano 60W would be a better fit to cover my tank?

(I still don't have a reef tank :D)

I would like to have no restriction on coral selection, but 160W razor, it's too much consumption for me.. So I was thinking on 120W or two nano 60W. Would I be limited on easier corals or even something more difficult?

thank you!

I would personally go with the 160w version just to have perfectly even coverage. You may encounter a smudge of shadowing with the 120w version.

stechs02 is selling his for a great deal BTW

edit: Oh I just seen your other thread. I didn't realize you were in Italy. That may be an issue for buying used here :P

Just so you know, you probably would never use it at 100%, unless your doing full SPS. So although it is at 160w, you would have a gradual ramp up (sunrise) and only at its peak for a few hours or so. ;)

• Like 1
marcoitareef

I would personally go with the 160w version just to have perfectly even coverage. You may encounter a smudge of shadowing with the 120w version.

stechs02 is selling his for a great deal BTW

edit: Oh I just seen your other thread. I didn't realize you were in Italy. That may be an issue for buying used here :P

Just so you know, you probably would never use it at 100%, unless your doing full SPS. So although it is at 160w, you would have a gradual ramp up (sunrise) and only at its peak for a few hours or so. ;)

Yes, I'm in Italy.... :( it's definitely an issue.

Once they (italian postal service) asked me tax fee for international shipment, which I paid 5$ (tweezers for my planted tank) and I had to pay 10$ of tax only because "it landed in Italy" :lol:

So, talking about more interesting things, honestly, I was really stupid not thinking that I can "customize" even 160W so I would never have to use it full time at 160W :blush: And the customization (not only of the consumption) is the first reason why I want to use led lighting!

yeah I think I just wasted your time... :unsure: I think I'll go with the 160W version!

Thank you very much!

Don't be too happy, :D I want to use this forum (and even this topic) many times to have help for my reef tank! :lol:

I will make other stupid questions :happy:

Yes, I'm in Italy.... :( it's definitely an issue.

Once they (italian postal service) asked me tax fee for international shipment, which I paid 5$ (tweezers for my planted tank) and I had to pay 10$ of tax only because "it landed in Italy" :lol:

So, talking about more interesting things, honestly, I was really stupid not thinking that I can "customize" even 160W so I would never have to use it full time at 160W :blush: And the customization (not only of the consumption) is the first reason why I want to use led lighting!

yeah I think I just wasted your time... :unsure: I think I'll go with the 160W version!

Thank you very much!

Don't be too happy, :D I want to use this forum (and even this topic) many times to have help for my reef tank! :lol:

I will make other stupid questions :happy:

Well if stech02 is willing to ship outside of his country, you would probably pay paypal as a purchase (not a gift) but I would ask him to ship it as a gift. That was if he 'values' it at less than $20 and as a gift, chances are very slim you would be charged any duties!

Source: I'm from Canada and found secrets with shipping!! :P

I know what duties are like. I feel your pain!

• Like 2
  • 1 month later...

Have some question about Razor Nano 60W:

1. Is there any wall mount options? If yes, how complicated it is? What and where I need to buy?

2. The color quality (16k) is comparable to Kessil 150 (15k or 20k)?

3. Is there any disco ball effect?

4. 120 Degree reflector make the colors better?

5. Somebody used it with Nuvo 16g? It (mounting) won't block all space in refugium? (I want to install Reef Octopus Nano Skimmer NS80 skimmer 4" x 2.4"). http://www.coralvue.com/reef-octopus-ns-80-protein-skimmer

6. The light fall in the refugium too? Enough for macro algae?

7. All light come from 1 point? Have about shadows and soft corals on the sides?

Thanks

Hey guys I have the 300 watt razor on my 75 mixed reef tank, lots of zoas, SPS etc, etc. I have noticed that some of my corals burn out or don't do good and I had to reduce my % on my lighting schedule to a max of 38 % which is low imo, my corals are doing good except some it seem like it's hit or miss. I contacted coralvue and they said to purchase the 120 degree lens. Dose this seem like it would help?? My light is so low and I wish there would be more day light involved. Let me know what you guys think, all my parameters are not in question by the way, 13 gallon water change every 2 weeks w/ RO/DI water. I only have yellow tang, yellow goby, clown and 6 line for livestock. Thanks!

jedimasterben

Hey guys I have the 300 watt razor on my 75 mixed reef tank, lots of zoas, SPS etc, etc. I have noticed that some of my corals burn out or don't do good and I had to reduce my % on my lighting schedule to a max of 38 % which is low imo, my corals are doing good except some it seem like it's hit or miss. I contacted coralvue and they said to purchase the 120 degree lens. Dose this seem like it would help?? My light is so low and I wish there would be more day light involved. Let me know what you guys think, all my parameters are not in question by the way, 13 gallon water change every 2 weeks w/ RO/DI water. I only have yellow tang, yellow goby, clown and 6 line for livestock. Thanks!

They should all ship by default with the wide reflectors, they are a vast improvement. I would raise it by no more than 5% weekly or every other week. The slower the better. Watch your corals. If you notice them darkening up, check water quality. If that is ok, then raise your light by 5% and continue to observe. If you see any corals lightening in color, then you have found your maximum and should back up just a bit or move those corals into an area with less light.

I don't believe my 300 watt has the wide angle reflector, I am pretty sure it 90. My corals have been under this light for about 3-4 months so this is not a new issue it's been awhile...

reefernanoman

I don't have a maxspect razor yet, but somebody mentioned that these lights might only last less than 4 yrs? Somebody from a 2010 post mentioned that. Is this true? I'm thinking about getting a nano razr for my 7.5G cube. Thanks

Hey everyone, thinking about upgrading to a larger tank from a nuvo 16. I have the 120w razor (2 clusters). I am considering the CAD Artisan II 50G 36 x 18 x 18, or the SC Aquariums 66G 32 x 24 x 20. Of course I would prefer to not have to buy a new light. I would definitely get the 120 degree reflectors. Are these out of the question for the 120w? If so what is the max footprint for this light?

I don't have a maxspect razor yet, but somebody mentioned that these lights might only last less than 4 yrs? Somebody from a 2010 post mentioned that. Is this true? I'm thinking about getting a nano razr for my 7.5G cube. Thanks

Never heard this before... Had mine for 2 years now, no issues. Any link to the post? Is the person just speculating, or is there proof/ evidence?

• Like 1
reefernanoman

Never heard this before... Had mine for 2 years now, no issues. Any link to the post? Is the person just speculating, or is there proof/ evidence?

I think it was speculation. I'm not going to mention who it was, since that wouldn't be cool and it was like 4 years ago. Anyways, what model do you have? and how have your corals responded? Thanks.

Edit: I think that you have the 16K 120W version on your Nuvo 16 right? It looks nice!

I think it was speculation. I'm not going to mention who it was, since that wouldn't be cool and it was like 4 years ago. Anyways, what model do you have? and how have your corals responded? Thanks.

Edit: I think that you have the 16K 120W version on your Nuvo 16 right? It looks nice!

Yes I have the 120w. Corals responded well after I killed my LPS... Start at a very low % if you get this fixture, it is way more powerful than it looks by eye. I really feel like I made a smart purchase and haven't regretted it for a second.

• Like 1