ReefCleaners.org

Maxspect Razor Owners thread

Daveg99

Razor has it's own programming. I don't use the moonlight feature (A:0,B:1) so the Apex turn off the Razor and turn on an independent moonlight leds at night. It also turn off the moonlight completely for 3 hours, from 2am to 5am.

Received mine today and I am very impressed. The quality is good and the output and controls are awesome. I knew that the led's would appear more dim than my t5's and I actually like it, I have missed the shimmer which this puts out. I am running this on a 40 breeder with lps and softies, one clam up high. Is 10" above the water line going to work? I hung it and it seems to provide the best coverage at that height. I have it ramping to 60% white and 80% blue at the highest. Here is a pic at 28%/42%:

2013-02-26171137_zpsaca2f125.jpg

2013-02-26170325_zpsfedfe33f.jpgI have been fighting some algae and I'm hoping old bulbs was part of the problem.

• Im thinking about trying one of these out.Im a long time t5 guy and now running a tek/led hybrid fixture and wondering how many die hard t5 guys have tried these and like them? I have seen many types of lighting and im very happy with my t5s but i just need a change lol

CoralVue Aquarium Products

Thanks for the positive feedback and supporting Maxspect LED. I started a new sponsor forum here at Nano-Reef, please stop by and say hi and share your Maxspect lit aquariums.

Chris

CoralVue

• Like 3

Here are some pics of my new razor and diy hanging kit over the tank. The hanging kit is made of four pieces of scrap 1/2" conduit a couple open beack 90 elbows and some conduit strap clamps that I picked up at the local farm store.standd004_zps1b41eeda.jpgstandd006_zpscae010f1.jpgstar005_zps0abbd92e.jpgstandd007_zpscf781cb6.jpg

• Like 3

Does anyone elses razor shock you if your arm hits it whilr your hand is in the tank?

Sounds like you have stray voltage in the tank. Could be the light but I would bet on something in the tank.

Does anyone elses razor shock you if your arm hits it whilr your hand is in the tank?

Nope. You have an electrical problem.

Unplug everything you have in the water one at a time and see when it doesnt shock you anymore.

Hello, everyone. I got my two 27" 160w 16K for my just cycled 125g ( Castle Made of Sand).

I set it to the preset 2 but will most likely go with a manual set up soon. Also I will hang the fixture this weekend. I prefer the look of it off the frame.

Here it is this morning with moonlight.

2013-03-08_05-55-01_690_zps4bdf69eb.jpg

• Like 1

Yikes, that is scary.

One of my new Maxspects has a defect in the power cord that plugs into the wall outlet. It blew a circuit breaker every time I plugged it in. I had an extra power cord so I was able to set it up and wrote to the retailer. I heard from Coralvue right away and they are sending me a new cord ASAP.

defefectivecordMaxspectlight_zpsf1a4d27a

Bummer Odyssey and eitallent :( from what I have seen elsewhere, the guys at Coralvue are really great. If you guys have any issues, just contact them here, and they will help ya out.

great pics eitallent. Looks like i'm gonna have to check your thread again :happy:

• Like 1
TheRealFish

Hey guys I am very interested in the Razor, but I want to make sure that it is not too powerful for my tank. I am having a custom tank built that has the same footprint of a 20L but is only 10" high. I really want to be able to keep SPS and want the plug-n-play of a well-built light. The Razor seems it will be just that. Just don't want to spend the $400+ on a light i will have to run at 50% all the time.

Thanks,

Fish

Well running it at 100% may be too much, but it's the light i chose. A Razor for a 10 gallon?! Yup, I did it :P

Just think, it will be really nice for your electricity bill, plus if you ever upgrade, you have the power when you need it.

Hey guys I am very interested in the Razor, but I want to make sure that it is not too powerful for my tank. I am having a custom tank built that has the same footprint of a 20L but is only 10" high. I really want to be able to keep SPS and want the plug-n-play of a well-built light. The Razor seems it will be just that. Just don't want to spend the $400+ on a light i will have to run at 50% all the time.

Thanks,

Fish

Maxspect Razor is now in Nano size. Exactly what you need.

I don't agree..... It's a 30 inch long tank. Nano one wouldn't cover it........

TheRealFish

I don't agree..... It's a 30 inch long tank. Nano one wouldn't cover it........

Yeah I saw the Nano being discussed over at Reef Builders, but I am convinced it would be too small. I would also like to have room to grow so I think the 20.5" 120W would be best.

Thanks,

Fish

Can anyone tell me a little more detail about their SPS growth with this light? I like many of you am trying to gather the best possible information on making the correct investment. I am not sure if any company really makes a light that competes with MH but I am hoping for some SPS success stories. Please share!

Also will 27" be long enough for a 36"x18"x20"?

If you look above you can see my 36x18x21 with fixture 8 inches off tank it covers sides better than those pics. Not sure on Sps yet as too early