Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Maxspect Razor Owners thread

Daveg99

Curios question. Have any of you guys ever seen or head the cooling fans some on? I have the 27" 16K unit and i dont think the fans ever EVER turned on. Im not complaining, i love my fixture, the heatsink is never hot to the touch. Was just wondering how everyone elses was doing over a period of time

jedimasterben

The fan most likely is temperature controlled and will only power on if the temperature reaches a certain threshold, and it's probably PWM controlled so that it doesn't have to ramp up to 100% except when it needs to. The fans are super quiet, though.

• Like 1

The fan most likely is temperature controlled and will only power on if the temperature reaches a certain threshold, and it's probably PWM controlled so that it doesn't have to ramp up to 100% except when it needs to. The fans are super quiet, though.

Yea that pretty much what i figured i was mainly just curious. My tank is also in the dining room area where there is a ceiling fan so im sure that helps to keep the fixture cool without the assistance of the onboard fans. :)

I've never heard one and since the Razor is quite new, most folks didn't have the lights during summer months. I'm sure they are super quiet as jedi says. The construction of this unit is remarkable and I have full confidence.

• Like 2

The other fixtures are garbage in comparison, IMHO. The use of a dozen colored LEDs to cover the fact that cool white are pieces of shit isn't the best way to go. Or in the case of the Sol blue they just don't care and wanted it to be as blue as possible, screw having colorful coral, they only want fluorescence.

What about in terms of controllability? I find that every fixture has their own set of leds. would you think it would be more personal pref or is the razor really better led wise.

im asking because im planning a bigger build and i like the price of the razor, however i feel that if im going to go big i may as well shell out the extra money if needed and not have to replace later on.

jedimasterben

The Radion and the AI controller have more 'features' than the one built-in to the R420R, but Maxspect was smart in a way to keep it simple. You control sunrise and sunset, independently for each channel, and intensity with I think six time points, and that's about it. When I first got into LEDs, I wanted to do fancy things like storms and clouds and such, but at this point, I realize that there is no practical use for any of that other than to show off to house guests lol. :)

• Like 3

When I first got into LEDs, I wanted to do fancy things like storms and clouds and such, but at this point, I realize that there is no practical use for any of that other than to show off to house guests lol. :)

I thought the same thing when i first started seeing youtube videos and things with LEDs and reef tanks. But now that i have a nice setup that does sunrise/sunset on its own and i dont have to fool with it. All the lightning and storm effect stuff doesnt even enter my mind. Its only for show and has no value to the tank. Just more stuff to break or not work correctly and would most likely be turned off at some point anyways.

• Like 1
jedimasterben

The lightning effect can actually scare fish and make them jump. Some fish only breed in thunderstorms, but who knows if it is just the lightning or what actually makes them start.

Cloud cover may be more useful. A ton of people have positive results from just leaving their lights off for a couple of days. Polyp extension is stellar afterwards and everything seems more lively.

• Like 1

yeah i dont think i would get a system for "lightning effect". I do want good color and easy to operate. i also want my corals to pop. the price of the razor is hte best selling point of course but im always open to something that may be better. it just seems too good to be true with the razor haha

I have t5s right now on my 25 and i love hte color and growth on those. the one thing im scared of is burning anything. like if i get new corals i feel like i would have to change my lighting schedule everytime so that the coral could acclimate. that seems so tedious

jedimasterben

Nah. Just use the controller to set the intensity to 50% on both channels and use your normal lighting schedule. Bump each up 5% weekly until you reach the level you want.

• Like 1
jedimasterben

This is one of the reasons I'm still pondering the extra bucks for radions they have everything pre-programmed including a coral acclimation mode.

There is no way that it is worth the extra coin.

• Like 1
nanolutionary

There is no way that it is worth the extra coin.

Based on coral acclimation alone I completely agree but factoring in the sheer expanse of functionality on offer; the fabulous colour variations - created at the touch of a button, the lightening storms, beautiful moonlight settings (even replicating lunar cycles as in nature) with clouds as well as complete mac and pc functionality; the wireless capability between units which allow sunrise/set across the length of the tank. Factoring in all of this means it does become, for me, a temptation I am having trouble resisting.

In my resistance to part with that much cash for a lighting fixture I have been trying to ascertain whether the Razor has any Mac functionality so far i've not seen any computer programmability at all, I also tried to see any signs of colour variation to display coral fluorescence to guests and have tried in vain so far.

In my resistance to part with that much cash for a lighting fixture I have been trying to ascertain whether the Razor has any Mac functionality so far i've not seen any computer programmability at all, I also tried to see any signs of colour variation to display coral fluorescence to guests and have tried in vain so far.

Honestly like everyone else, I thought uber controllability was a must, but as everyone soon learns, it's not. This is what you get with the Razor:

6 Time points to control intensity. You can have sunrise, sunset and different intensities through the day. You can have a super intense morning, then pitch black, then super intense again if you want. You can control channels A+B completely separate (A=White, B=Blue) which means you get some really great color variation, and can go from a white 6500k look or a totally 16-20k look and everywhere in-between.

I know Mac controllability would be cool, but really, what the hell are you going to do on there anyways?

Stop and look at your fish!

• Like 3

I've never heard or seen my fans come on my unit. Also, since I have taken Ben's advice on the intensity settings my corals are already starting to get better color. Thanks for the tips, I love the new setup I'm running. Can't wait for a few more months to go by so I can see some really nice coloration.

Love the maxspect, highly recommend.

• Like 1

Also, since I have taken Ben's advice on the intensity settings my corals are already starting to get better color. Thanks for the tips, I love the new setup I'm running. Can't wait for a few more months to go by so I can see some really nice coloration.

Love the maxspect, highly recommend.

Matt, if i may ask. What are your current presets at? I am currently running the factory defaults that ramp up to 100%, wanted to see what you are running so i can make some adjustments on my setup.