Pod Your Reef

Maxspect Razor Owners thread

Daveg99

jedimasterben

Hey guys, I'm looking to achieve some good SPS coloration. My corals used to look really good under my old metal halide/t5ho combo but after the bulbs needed replacement, I let my corals stay under the insufficient lighting for months and they most of the more flamboyant colors. For example, my ORA green stylophora that used to be neon green is now pretty much purple/pink. My pocillopora is all back to normal coloration (pink with metallic green tips) and my acros are getting nicely colored but my stylo is still pink/purple and doesn't seem to be going green. My acans are also starting to get those really nice tie dye looking colors but they are not standing out.

What settings over a 30 breeder can I use to expect good coloration? 27" 16,000k unit.

Current light settings are as follows:

TP1: A: 0% B: 1% 11:00

TP2: A: 50% B:50% 13:00

TP3: A: 68% B: 100% 15:00

TP4: A: 77% B: 100% 18:00

TP5: A: 50% B: 50% 20:00

TP6: A: 0% B: 1% 21:30

I wouldn't run anywhere near 100%, especially to start off with. I'd have everything peak at 50% and maybe work your way up to 75% over a month or two. SPS will take 4-6 months to show improvements, usually.

• Like 1

I wouldn't run anywhere near 100%, especially to start off with. I'd have everything peak at 50% and maybe work your way up to 75% over a month or two. SPS will take 4-6 months to show improvements, usually.

Thanks for the tips. I've had the lights running for a little over a month now. I'll lower it down to 75% peak for the time being since I've been running 100% for quite some time. Also, didn't know that sps take so long to improve coloration, thanks for the info.

jedimasterben

Thanks for the tips. I've had the lights running for a little over a month now. I'll lower it down to 75% peak for the time being since I've been running 100% for quite some time. Also, didn't know that sps take so long to improve coloration, thanks for the info.

If you've been running them already at 100% and you've seen no improvement, definitely bump them down, corals are most likely still acclimating to the light.

Here is my schedule on my 29g 17" high tank. I have the 16k 160W Razor for about 2,5 months. All my corals respond very well to the schedule and intensity.

Cool looks like a good schedule! My tank is only 12" high so I probably should have taken that into consideration before putting the lights so high. They just look so good on 100%!!!

what do you guys think with this acclimation schedule to start out with? figure i'd do a weekly bump of everything by 5% except for the first and last time settings. going from a 4x24w t5 fixture with ATI bulbs to the 120w 16000k maxspect razor.

0700 A:0 B:1

1100 A:10 B:15

1300 A:30 B:50

1600 A:40 B:50

2100 A:30 B:35

2300 A:0 B:0

nanolutionary

I have the 27 inch 16k. Had it since release. This is the best led fixture I've used so far as far as color, looks, reliability, and ease of use. I have experience with 2 other LED fixtures that I wasn't happy with for various reasons.

B1EA21F8-E4F1-44AB-B2E4-C524995CAF15-235

What are your tank dimensions - why have you hung it so high? I want to get the Razor but an concerned the length of my tank 94cm is not going to be covered by the spread of the razor.

what do you guys think with this acclimation schedule to start out with? figure i'd do a weekly bump of everything by 5% except for the first and last time settings. going from a 4x24w t5 fixture with ATI bulbs to the 120w 16000k maxspect razor.

0700 A:0 B:1

1100 A:10 B:15

1300 A:30 B:50

1600 A:40 B:50

2100 A:30 B:35

2300 A:0 B:0

Schedule looks perfect to me. You don't use the Razor as a moonlight? Me neither. I use 2 Current USA moonlights from 9pm to 7 am and in the meantime my Apex turn it of for 3 hours from 2-5am.

Schedule looks perfect to me. You don't use the Razor as a moonlight? Me neither. I use 2 Current USA moonlights from 9pm to 7 am and in the meantime my Apex turn it of for 3 hours from 2-5am.

great! not really using it as a moonlight as that's really just aesthetic for us and doesn't benefit thte tank. i figure with that schedule, there's some sort of light turned on from 7a to 11p during the hours i'm awake anyways.

nanolutionary
The 120w unit will cover a 24" x 24" area with no issues, a 160w unit will cover 36" x 24" no issues.

This seems like an overestimation of the razors capabilities in terms of its light spread given that a radion needs to be suspended just a few inches from the water surface to operate effectively I'm imagining the same is true for the razor and if that's the case then I don't see how the razors led's will span a 90cm long tank with their 60cm (judging by the fact the outer led clusters are a significant distance from the edges of the 80cm long razor unit) length of coverage - the height of the suspension on the picture is this so you could achieve light spread across the tank?

What do you guys think of the razor compared to the vega and gen2 ecotech and sol blue? without taking price into consideration. who comes out on top and next and so forth and why?

jedimasterben

What do you guys think of the razor compared to the vega and gen2 ecotech and sol blue? without taking price into consideration. who comes out on top and next and so forth and why?

The other fixtures are garbage in comparison, IMHO. The use of a dozen colored LEDs to cover the fact that cool white are pieces of shit isn't the best way to go. Or in the case of the Sol blue they just don't care and wanted it to be as blue as possible, screw having colorful coral, they only want fluorescence.

After seeing the size comparison chart I'm considering getting one, do they run a scale up scale down cycle?

Yes the two channels can be gradually rasied and lowered in intensity from 1% to 100% its fully adjustable