Pod Your Reef

Maxspect Razor Owners thread

Daveg99

Wow! I was leaning towards getting these and after reading this thread I am convinced!

I am setting up my 72"x18"x22" 125 gallon so according to the manufacturer I will get two 27" 160w 16Ks. Correct?

Anyone find a good place to get these online? They are running about $510 USD. Any better prices out there?

Thanks to the OP for starting this very useful thread. Subscribed!

Wow! I was leaning towards getting these and after reading this thread I am convinced!

I am setting up my 72"x18"x22" 125 gallon so according to the manufacturer I will get two 27" 160w 16Ks. Correct?

Anyone find a good place to get these online? They are running about $510 USD. Any better prices out there?

Thanks to the OP for starting this very useful thread. Subscribed!

You could always see if Steve @ inTank can get one in for you. It's not a regular item, but he was able to do that for me :) A++

• Like 1

I get my 27" for my 40breeder on Tuesday! All of these pics and reviews make me confident I made the right decision.

I have the same setup as you and im happy with mine!

• Like 1

Got my 27 inch 16,000k razor today, WOW! This light is awsome for the price, I will try to put a link to my Youtube channel in the thread. I turned off the lights in my biocube and shined the razor in through the glass and the coral colors just pop under the led lighting!

What are your tank dimensions - why have you hung it so high? I want to get the Razor but an concerned the length of my tank 94cm is not going to be covered by the spread of the razor.

40x20x12

I prefer hanging my fixture high for, viewing from the top down, ease of maintenance, light coverage, and so the plants get hit with some light.

Looking good Logan!

I just wanted to say that the "disco" effect is nearly non-existant with this fixture. I am very happy they didn't add reds to this one, as I think it would have had that effect otherwise.

In one of the frag tanks at my LFS they have a few AI Vega's and you can clearly make out the red in the water ripples. Just kind of kills it for me.

So for any skeptics, there ya go.

So here is the test fit of my diy razor hanging kit. The legs are made of 1/2" conduit, there connected with open back 90's to form the L shape. The legs are being painted gloss black and are drying right now. The cables are connected by drilling 7/8" split collars and slipping the cables through the holes, this allows me two way adjustment up and down with the legs and front to back with the slip collars. Its starting to come together. pics035_zps33010992.jpgpics034_zpsc5d74488.jpg

Ive got room for adjustment Im not sure where I want it yet. I have heard some say 6" I think Im going to go a little higher, as long as the light dose not spill out into the room to much. Im open to suggestions. The tank is only 12" deep.

Mine is about 4.5" from the surface. I have not tested with corals as my tank is just cycling now. This gave me the coverage I wanted, and no light spill :) I could always go up depending... My tank is 20"x12"x10" (wxdxh) so it's not exactly a large footprint (Razor 120w) :P

I had an opportunity to measure my PAR values in my 29g, 30x12x19 tank. The 27" 16k Razor is 7" above the water level. I was interested in PAR values at some of my corals and the Maxima clam which is at the bottom of the tank, right in the middle, closer to the front glass. The rest of the values were measured in the center of the tank. I kept the sensor for about 15 seconds and calculated the average value. Those PAR values represent the tank at A: 60% and B:100%. (The photo was takes under different setting).

PAR60.jpg

• Like 3

No, unfortunately I had the PAR reader only for a while. Actually, a fellow reefer came to me to make the measurements. I made another measurement at A:50 and B:100 - photo below. These are my 2 peak values during the day. As you see the values are slightly lower. I also checked the PAR at my Maxima (front-center-bottom) at A:50 and B:50. It was PAR 75.

PAR50.jpg