inTank Media Baskets

Maxspect Razor Owners thread

Daveg99

Deleted User 4

Is it possible for maxspect to make the nano razors to come in silver and or white color, not just black?

I want to get one for my Ada, but because it's in black, it won't look as good than in silver or white to match with my Ada tank.

Got my 27" razor a little over a week ago and added first corals last Thursday. I started everything off at the bottom, will start moving them up today. Standard Aqueon 29 gallon tank. Just wanted to run this schedule by everyone, I am terrified I'm going to fry something! Or conversely, light starve something. :lol:

7:00 0 1

11:00 10 15

13:00 30 50

16:00 40 50

21:00 30 35

23:00 0 0

Too much? Too little? Photoperiod too long? How long should I go before bumping up the intensities and how much should I change each time?

Thanks!

Looks pretty good. I have the same tank and 27" 16k Razor. If you are moving everything up today, you shouldn't increase the light intensity at the same time. You are doing this already. Once the corals are at the final position, you can increase the intensity slowly, say at 2-3% every day. Your setting is more at the white side. Some people like more bluish look but it's just the matter of preference.

Here is my setting. But it took me some time to be there.

channel A channel B
8:00 0: 1
9:00 5: 45
10:00 60 :100
15:00 50: 100
19:00 15: 85
21:00 0 :1

• Like 2

what do you guys think of a single 27" unit over a 48x24x14" tank? since my tank's only 14", will hang the razor high up to cover 48x24 foot print.. tank will be mixed reef with softies and lps and some SPS in the middle.. both sides will be softies or LPS..

You would lose a fair amount of light on the sides of the tank. For those sides/edges/corners it wouldn't support much, even softies. I would really consider 2x120w units for that size tank.

• Like 1

I have a stupid question for everyone to answer. If you can adjust the ratio of white and blue, why are there two models 10,000K and 16,000K to choose from? Wouldn't you essentially just make those changes via the ratios?

10k and 16k is at full power.To my eyes my 16k was really yellow cranked at 100 and bothered me.Also no way would i use a 27 inch on a 48 inch tank.My 27 on my 36 inch tank had very little par on sides so i sold it.Maxspect needs to stop saying can work on a 48 inch tank.And i ask again why didnt they make the 27s really 24 so could use 2 of them on a 48 inch tank?????? they are missing market there im sure all over 3 inches of heatsink not needed.

I have a stupid question for everyone to answer. If you can adjust the ratio of white and blue, why are there two models 10,000K and 16,000K to choose from? Wouldn't you essentially just make those changes via the ratios?

because full power

• Like 1

my 5 month old razor is broke. The puck nearest to the control dial is the brightest the middle is about 60% of the first and the far one is about 20% of the first. It started with the whites dimming out and now has gone to the blues. I have contacted coralvue about a month ago and they finally sent me a new puck to put in myself. Not overly happy with coralvue at this point

my 5 month old razor is broke. The puck nearest to the control dial is the brightest the middle is about 60% of the first and the far one is about 20% of the first. It started with the whites dimming out and now has gone to the blues. I have contacted coralvue about a month ago and they finally sent me a new puck to put in myself. Not overly happy with coralvue at this point

Sorry to hear about your issues.

Honestly though, CoralVue seems to have pulled through. It would be much more expensive for you to ship the unit to have them install it. Did they have any idea what the issue was caused by? Or just a lemon?

Thanks, another question..

Lets assume i hang a razor 10" above a 24" deep tank and in the center sand bed, the par reading is 300 for example, Lets say i hang a razor at the same height, but now my tank is only 12" deep (meaning the distance between the razor and water level increased from 10" to 22") , what would my par reading be?

jedimasterben

Thanks, another question..

Lets assume i hang a razor 10" above a 24" deep tank and in the center sand bed, the par reading is 300 for example, Lets say i hang a razor at the same height, but now my tank is only 12" deep (meaning the distance between the razor and water level increased from 10" to 22") , what would my par reading be?

You'd need to measure it with a quantum meter. Lighting does not go down in intensity linearly.

• Like 1

it wont cover sides worth a shit imo..................

My 27" 16k is 16 inches off the water, it covers the sides of my 42" long tank only at 70% power. My tank is only 18" deep though.

You'd need to measure it with a quantum meter. Lighting does not go down in intensity linearly.

understood, but based on your experience, would you expect the par to be higher or lower?

My 27" 16k is 16 inches off the water, it covers the sides of my 42" long tank only at 70% power. My tank is only 18" deep though.

My tank's 14".. you growing any SPS?

understood, but based on your experience, would you expect the par to be higher or lower?

My tank's 14".. you growing any SPS?

Mille's, Digitatas, Birdsnest, some other stuff I forgot the names of. Brains and acans flank the tank. Anemones are off to the far left. I have a few SPS near the top of the water on the far right and they are growing, not as fast as the SPS under the light pods though.

9PL10N4.jpg

great looking tank! i guess the only way to answer my question is to get a razor, hang it and play around with the adjustment.. i guess i can add 2 par38s at both side if i want to grow frags there.

• Like 1

I have been using the 120w 16,000K model on a standard 20 gallon SPS reef with great results so far. Replaced a 1st gen Radion with it and haven't looked back. To get an acceptable spread, I have the fixture approx 8.5" off the surface of the water. Growth on the SPS has been great with the fixture, and the SPS seem to be coloring up (especially the montiporas that were previously quite pale). I have slowly increased the output so that it maxes out at W:65% B:85% but also plan to increase it slowly over the next month.

This is a crappy iPhone photo but you can see that the acro looks great. This particular piece was completely green until I switched to the Maxspect R420R, at which point it developed a lot of blue on the tips.

525202_10151473572868283_1914445253_n.jp

Probably one of the best LED fixtures I have used so far.

• Like 2

10k and 16k is at full power.To my eyes my 16k was really yellow cranked at 100 and bothered me.Also no way would i use a 27 inch on a 48 inch tank.My 27 on my 36 inch tank had very little par on sides so i sold it.Maxspect needs to stop saying can work on a 48 inch tank.And i ask again why didnt they make the 27s really 24 so could use 2 of them on a 48 inch tank?????? they are missing market there im sure all over 3 inches of heatsink not needed.

Uh pretty sure they dont, ask Chris at CoralVue

Where on the tank and proximity to the lights is your frag rack? This is a 40 breeder correct? How's the Light spread?

Assuming this was directed at me,

The tank is actually a 20 gallon High And the frag rack is about 6 inches under the surface of the water. To get an acceptable spread, I have the fixture approx 8.5" off the surface of the water. I get light to all corners of the tank, but the edges of the tank are used for less light demanding corals including some SPS, LPS, and Softies.

i visited a LFS and he had a 48"x24"x24" display mixed reef tank and he hang his razor 160w 16k 22" above water level. it was able to cover the whole 48" length and also able to penetrate 24" and still appear pretty bright.. he had the light on 100% on both channel.

SPS near the top water level growing well too.

Anyone else feel 75% white to 100% blue is the best mix on this light?

If I go any less on white it starts to look too windex but if I go more it looks pinkish yellow.

• Like 1