inTank Media Baskets

Mangrove Forest-time to say goodbye

Giga

jedimasterben

If I'm not mistaken, the blue-eyed cardinals have a very short lifespan (2-3 years) so unfortunately you'll need to replace them every so often. Julian Sprung mentions that in the interview with Mark callahan.

• Like 1
Rollermonkey

Lol I love my daughter but I wished I could have bottled sleep, so I could take it later

You won't miss the lack of sleep, but the phases do go quick.

• Like 2
If I'm not mistaken, the blue-eyed cardinals have a very short lifespan (2-3 years) so unfortunately you'll need to replace them every so often. Julian Sprung mentions that in the interview with Mark callahan.

That's not to bad, maybe I can get them to spawn and that's way won't have to spend $

You won't miss the lack of sleep, but the phases do go quick.

Yeah it's pretty crazy being a dad

• Like 1
Mr. Microscope
Yeah ,I'm thinking just one fish species in this tank

Maybe the school, and one bigger fish that's a little more active? Kinda like spotting a lone fish that got stuck in a tidepool. Something pretty and bold. Yellow tang or dwarf angel? IDK, just a thought.

• Like 1
surgicalsense

That 3 gallon is not big enough for one hermit, hermit crabs are social creature and you need more then one for long term health. Might want to not go anything smaller then 10 gallons for a couple hermits.

So I found a 10g that someone was tossing out. Giving it a nice hardcore cleaning and TLC and it might be hermit ready at some point.

So I found a 10g that someone was tossing out. Giving it a nice hardcore cleaning and TLC and it might be hermit ready at some point.

post some pics once your done

surgicalsense

post some pics once your done

Will do ... which part though? After the cleaning or finally getting the whole environment put together for the little hermits? I had to clarify :P

Have you thought about doing a large amount of damsels? If you look closely, a lot of pics of reefs like the one in the OP have mainly damsels and/or anthais schooling around patches of corals. I'm doing a similar thing but on a way small scale (Hundreds of fish in the wild to one-two fish in my tank)

The only downside would be any aggression between the largest/pairs and the smallest/pairs.

Not much to report, but I did have to fix the dry wall........again..........for some reason the floor or wall settled and the back right corning was and 1" lower then the rest and it look bad. So had to undue thing and shim it up and the re-putty and junk. Now it's all squared up.

Raised about an inch

e3os.jpg

Shim shim sharoooo

ugji.jpg

so was looking through my imageshake account and thought I'd post all my tank to this point

My very first tank-when i first joined nano-reef

dscf1381qp8gt8.jpg

My second and third tank

ftsf.jpg

4th

dsc02507v.jpg

5th-not reef but cool non the less

20121213123732.jpg

6th-this sit on my desk in my office at work

20130228151015.jpg

this tank is my dream tank so I have High hope I make it awesome-sauce

• Like 3

Figured I'd show the mangrove but not gonna show the roots system yet-it's massive-also the black wen through a fungul attack and it's just now recovering

2fw4.jpg

• Like 6

Where do you get such large mangroves?

same place everyone else I guess. I've just let them grow these guys are 2 years old and I trim them alot. Red mangrove are super duper slow growers so it takes even loger as i trim them so they branch out

Beautiful plants! Can't wait to see fish swimming around the roots.

I think people might be suprised once they see the roots of this

If your mangroves are heathly I thought it would be cool to show the reason to trim red mangroves. Red mangroves have a long and leggy growth pattern and to help rectify that in a aquarium you trim. What I do is let it grow to 3-4 pairs of leaves then i'll trim it down to one or two pair. Just make sure they're healthy before you try this as it can tress the tree-Went from 4 branches to now 11 branches comming out

http://s139.photobucket.com/user/Veritas21885/media/20130709_192328_zps47a66cd0.jpg.html'>20130709_192328_zps47a66cd0.jpg

20130709_192246_zps020d318b.jpg

• Like 2

Almost all tree will do this. At the base of the leaves is a dormant bud for red mangrove(and most tree species) and the bud will stay domant unless you stress the tree to push out new leave to gather energy. There are two ways to do this, defoliate the tree(removing all the leaves-super stressfull) or cutting back branches. I don't think red mangrove will respond well to being defoliated but the branch cutting works very well-BUT the tree needs to be in good growth and health as it's like cutting a limb off and reducing the amount of energy the tree can produce.

• Like 1

Nice, I see bonsai wire all over those groves B)

It anodized aluminium wire so no worries about copper, and yes I got into Bonsai before reef'ing. I'll take a couple pics of some of my new bonsai's(plural?)

Don't lie you took them all from back home lol. Can't wait to see this get started man....

Actually the big one is from Hawaii and the rest from Florida

• Like 1