SaltCritters.com

Mangrove Forest-time to say goodbye

Giga

How big of a set up do you have those frogs in? The guy that runs one of the LFS keeps trying to talk me into trying my hand at some. I would admit I am intrested.

How big is your mangrove? Could you give us a picture. I am trying to get one now and plan on keeping it for ever if possible.

Edited by Belac
How big of a set up do you have those frogs in? The guy that runs one of the LFS keeps trying to talk me into trying my hand at some. I would admit I am intrested.

How big is your mangrove? Could you give us a picture. I am trying to get one now and plan on keeping it for ever if possible.

My vivarium is rather large at 83 gallons(20x20x48")

Pardon the bad cellphone pic

20121213123730.jpg

I've had mangrove for a while now-black mangrove are about 3 years old I think and the red 1.5- I imagine they would be bigger since they kinda have not been in the ideal growing condition as of late.

black mangrove pneumatophores

20121212223635.jpg

20121212223649.jpg

again pardon the cellphone pics, some are pretty tal at like 33" or so. They just went through a trim so not as leafy as they were a little bit ago.

20121212223700.jpg

• Like 1

Following. Nice dendros... that was my hobby long before this one. My azureus are long sold and my last frog (a red eyed tree frog) just died a couple weeks ago. I had him since highschool, 10 years ago. I loved my little guy. Your neoregelias are killer. Can't wait to see this reef come together.

Nice little trees. I figured they would be a bit bigger. Guess they are slower growing then I thought.

Your vivaruium needs some orchids. ;) I get one or two every so often from the almost dead plant rack at Lowes. If you strip them out of the peat and let them dry over night you usually can tell what roots are rotting and take pruning snips to those roots and the plant will recover if you attach it to a branch in a humid enclosed vavirum. I love those bromeliads (spelling?)

Nice little trees. I figured they would be a bit bigger. Guess they are slower growing then I thought.

Your vivaruium needs some orchids. ;) I get one or two every so often from the almost dead plant rack at Lowes. If you strip them out of the peat and let them dry over night you usually can tell what roots are rotting and take pruning snips to those roots and the plant will recover if you attach it to a branch in a humid enclosed vavirum. I love those bromeliads (spelling?)

Lol funny you say the mangrove were larger, my black mangrove is going through bonsai training and gets a severe chop after a certain point. It was over 4 feet tall not to long ago lol. Yeah unless reds are grown out side In tropicL weather they grow slow slow slow.

Actually there are about 30 orchids in there. There just very small species. These flowers are about the size of my fingernail

Bulb. lasiochilum

dsc02712w.jpg

Restrepia trichoglossa

dsc02685j.jpg

Edited by Giga
  • Like 3

Never been to dc, drove through there but never stopped might have to next time I drive through.

Also my black mangrove were planted on sept. 24,2010 so there only 2 yrs 3 months and my red are only 1 year old

Also got a cool piece of equipment on it way today!

My vivarium is rather large at 83 gallons(20x20x48")

Pardon the bad cellphone pic

20121213123730.jpg

I've had mangrove for a while now-black mangrove are about 3 years old I think and the red 1.5- I imagine they would be bigger since they kinda have not been in the ideal growing condition as of late.

black mangrove pneumatophores

20121212223635.jpg

20121212223649.jpg

again pardon the cellphone pics, some are pretty tal at like 33" or so. They just went through a trim so not as leafy as they were a little bit ago.

20121212223700.jpg

Are they imis or "veradero"? That is a large tank lol. I keep my standard imitators in a ten vert for a pair. What other darts to you keep? I know a lot of reefers that keep darts as well. Most work involved is making fly cultures.

Are they imis or "veradero"? That is a large tank lol. I keep my standard imitators in a ten vert for a pair. What other darts to you keep? I know a lot of reefers that keep darts as well. Most work involved is making fly cultures.

They were sold as veradero, one is a veradero but the other one seem to be a cross between veradero and imis. Yeah these are my first frogs and I've only had them for a couple week but man I didn't realize fruit fly would be so much work :o well not that bad but the frogs require like no work the the flys require like all of it. I plan on getting a couple more veraderos but with most hobby I might get more lol

I was all excited that you were building another tank. Then all of a sudden there were pics of a vivarium with ORCHIDS! And they're blooming! YES! Totally following along.

Do you happen to have a list of the orchid species you've had success with in your viv?

Thanks. :)

I was all excited that you were building another tank. Then all of a sudden there were pics of a vivarium with ORCHIDS! And they're blooming! YES! Totally following along.

Do you happen to have a list of the orchid species you've had success with in your viv?

Thanks. :)

I have yet to kill an orchid so I guess I got a green thumb, ill put a list together and post it for ya tonight

I am an orchid muderer lol. It's addictive for sure, my girlfriend got me into it and we have 6 species of darts. And tomorrow we pick up our first pair of pumilio! Are you on any dart forums? There's a good amount of info in them. Dendroboard, dartden and a few others as well.

Ugh why? Now I want a viv after seeing that thread.... Won't be building it though cause of the mishaps that happened to you cause with my luck it would be worse lol but now I'm thinking about starting a viv... My dad has orchids so I can just take a few from his collection lol. Must do research on where to find broms around here....

Anyways following this build

Ugh why? Now I want a viv after seeing that thread.... Won't be building it though cause of the mishaps that happened to you cause with my luck it would be worse lol but now I'm thinking about starting a viv... My dad has orchids so I can just take a few from his collection lol. Must do research on where to find broms around here....

Anyways following this build

If you have lowes/homedepot they have some rather ununique ones.

Finally I'm on Christmas break(I love working at a university) I've been working non-stop doing home improvement things now I'm starting the tank work. Only thing is I seemed to have run into a problem. I had a contractor come out and looks at the wall and it's not load bearing at all, but theres a random electrical line running through the wall and I need to put a least 1 2x4 to support the header. It's not a big header but still I don't know where this cord goes. It has no slack either so I can't cut it and splice it back together in a gang box. Anyone have any ideas?

20121221165617.jpg

20121221165627.jpg

So I hate over flows so I got this,gonna get another one case this gets clogged or something.

20121221171007.jpg

Splice it, add more line, splice again into junction box

Have you done this before or is that just what you would do? Not trying to be mean but I'm nervous about doing electrical and want to do it right as opposed to getting a electrician out and moving 1 line lol

I have done it before but not for my reef, been working with electricity and plumbing since i was 5 so maybe im biased on the ease of the project. let me check though, if you created a small hole in the 2x4 on the side, where you could put the wire through, that way you can add a brace on the wall and no electrical work required