SaltCritters.com

Mangrove Forest-time to say goodbye

Giga

Wow giga if you do what i think your going to do this is going to be ridiculous. Awesome job so far.

Love the viv BTW

I got this idea after going to Cancun, Mexico and going through all the mangrove channels to get to the reefs this last summer. The reef part will look like a mangrove channel with a shadow box at the back to keep the illusion that it keeps going- it hard to tell by the picture but this thing is large 80"x48"x48" This idea has been bounceing in my head since my first tank in 07, it's just now that I got the means to do it!

48 deep? How will you reach in there?

Snorkel :D

I got this idea after going to Cancun, Mexico and going through all the mangrove channels to get to the reefs this last summer. The reef part will look like a mangrove channel with a shadow box at the back to keep the illusion that it keeps going- it hard to tell by the picture but this thing is large 80"x48"x48" This idea has been bounceing in my head since my first tank in 07, it's just now that I got the means to do it!

Insane...that would be so sick.

• Like 1
Mr. Microscope

there will be doors on the back and side so I can reach all part of it-or I'll just move into it lol

Nice! With all that headroom you'll really be able to grow some massive mangroves with giant roots and tall branches. It's gonna look like a jungle in there eventually. How many plants do you have prepared for this build already?

I have a bunch of black and red mangrove i've had for a few years plus some other things that I'm keeping under raps :ninja: Also I will explain the floating plane thing just have to find time to make an awesome drawing in paint :P to explain it lol

• Like 1
Mr. Microscope

Try google sketchup. It's free and probably the easiest software I've ever used. Garunteed, you'll be able to whip up your model in under 30 minutes (5-10 after you've used it a few times).

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I'm SO busy as my daughter's due date is JUNE 8th!!! but I have made some progress

20130515201207.jpg

Confused yet?

much much more to come

• Like 2
  • 3 weeks later...

SOOOO....I had to change my design again :rolleyes: all due to some CRAZY things happening this last week.

My wifes car broke down so I bought her this

20130528104632.jpg

Then I started to build the wall for the tank inset-due to this just being a tank now-again lol

20130609101827.jpg

Then this happened!

img20130611171114.jpg

After 3 days in a hospital, then going home and be scared out of my wits and tired from no sleep now. I did this today!

20130613185203.jpg

20130613185247.jpg

And i'm pretty sure I was eating these while doing the dry-walling. No one told me how stupid doing drywall is, and had to use a lot of mud to fix my fuglies

img952013021695170753.jpg

After a long day the jelous gaurd dog needed some love too

img20121109190809.jpg

The main reason it has now changed to a tank again is becuase a new baby and a car put a little squeeze on the $$$ more then I thought so I had to go with my original project.

• Like 12
Mr. Microscope

CONGRATULATIONS!!!! I was also in the midst of my tank build when my son came (actually ordered my rock from the hospital while waiting, lol). Good luck in finding spare time to build your tank and enjoy the time you have with your baby. The lack of sleep can be devistating, but it does get better in time. I know that's little consolation at 3am after you've been up all night, but every little bit helps. Take care.

• Like 3

Congrats!

I can't wait to see this thing running, your previous build and a video you posted that I saw are the inspiration for my Display Fuge!

• Like 1
surgicalsense

Wow ... amazing build, congrates on being a new daddy and just in time for fathers day. Those hermits are cool and scary huge at the same time. I can not wait to see this tank wet and all the other fabulous stuff your doing with this build. I am so following.

• Like 1
Congrats!

I can't wait to see this thing running, your previous build and a video you posted that I saw are the inspiration for my Display Fuge!

Cool! Can't wait to see it

Wow ... amazing build, congrates on being a new daddy and just in time for fathers day. Those hermits are cool and scary huge at the same time. I can not wait to see this tank wet and all the other fabulous stuff your doing with this build. I am so following.

Yeah my hermits are cool. I've had a few for few years now. Once this is done ill be building a new vivarium for them or a new dart frog vivarium not sure yet, I know it's a tank building sickness. I think the doctor called it wantmoretanks-itus lol

surgicalsense

Cool! Can't wait to see it Yeah my hermits are cool. I've had a few for few years now. Once this is done ill be building a new vivarium for them or a new dart frog vivarium not sure yet, I know it's a tank building sickness. I think the doctor called it wantmoretanks-itus lol

Have you weighted them? :lol: ... My husband likes the idea of a dry land hermit terrarium in our living room, but I am going to use a simple 3g I have. Nothing fancy, but I will still make it look nice.

That 3 gallon is not big enough for one hermit, hermit crabs are social creature and you need more then one for long term health. Might want to not go anything smaller then 10 gallons for a couple hermits.

Rollermonkey

Congrats on the wee one.

Did I read that right that the wife-mobile broke down less than two weeks before the little one arrived? Yikes, that must have been stressful.

How many months before this thing gets wet?

surgicalsense

That 3 gallon is not big enough for one hermit, hermit crabs are social creature and you need more then one for long term health. Might want to not go anything smaller then 10 gallons for a couple hermits.

Yes, of course .... but, this is even with the standard small size hermits?