SaltCritters.com

Arkayology's Rimless 40g

Arkayology

Arkayology

Now that my dissertation grant has been submitted for review, and my conference is over with, I finally had some time in between grading student papers to take a pic of the tank! It is doing well other than I had to chop the Joe the Coral at the base and am starting over with it. I still have no idea why it slowly STN'd, but that's how it goes. Some corals are growing like weeds and others are still coming around, but everything is showing growth at some level.

I'll just move this to the current page... :)

IMG_3405.jpg

• Like 19
Arkayology

Looks very nice, and the sand looks virtually untouched :) It makes for a nice clean look.

Yeah, the gyre helps keep things form settling on the sand. Very clean and uncluttered now just the way I like it.

You got a gbta on the move there? You update the apex and dos? Think I finally will tonight if I'm not feeling lazy.

Yeah, I've had this GBTA 4 years or so now. It was in the back of the tank but I encouraged it to move because it was stinging my pearlberry and cali tort. It is in a better spot now.

:wub:

:flower:

• Like 1
Arkayology

How much alk and Ca are your dosing daily?

30ml/day of alk and 22.5ml/day of Ca. Holding params steady at 8.0dkh and 420-440 Ca

• Like 1

Updated the apex and the doser to the new firmware. I'll let ya know how there wizard does over the next couple days.

• Like 1
Arkayology

Updated the apex and the doser to the new firmware. I'll let ya know how there wizard does over the next couple days.

Thanks. I haven't updated mine yet. I probably should sooner rather than later.

Arkayology

I have decided to get a new skimmer. I ordered a SCA 301. It has good reviews and it is cheap. The Aquamaxx C-01 is a great skimmer, but it is too big for my tank I think. I just can't get a decent skim; brown stuff just collects in the neck of the skimmer but nothing goes into the cup. I don't think it can sustain a foam head.

• Like 3
picoreef78

I just set up the DOS today. Whopping 2 ml alk daily and 1ml calcium daily. There is a firmware update already?

Tank looking awesome as always. Good luck with your grant.

• Like 1
Arkayology

I just set up the DOS today. Whopping 2 ml alk daily and 1ml calcium daily. There is a firmware update already?

Tank looking awesome as always. Good luck with your grant.

There is a firmware update, but I think the update is mostly to add reservoir functionality to the Apex, among other things. They may have tweaked the code for the DOS program a bit. I still haven't gotten around to it.

2ml and 1ml isn't a lot, but you can trust the DOS to keep it accurate. I love mine. It has kept things very stable once I programmed it by the hour instead of letting it calculate the doses for the day based on a total amount I want to add.

New skimmer? I wonder why the CO1 isn't consistent with its foam. I have an assumption. You have lowered your bioload that could impact the skimmers preformance since it's made for larger tank/bioload. The smaller skimmer may work better for your smaller bioload. Opposite of what I've been thinking about my tank. I've got the bubble magus NAC 3.5 which is nearly the same as the SCA 301 but have a larger bioload. Which is why I'm thinking of getting a larger volume skimmer. It's all just a guess since you sold your large solon wrasse.

• Like 2
Arkayology

So what skimmer did you choose?

I got an SCA-301.

New skimmer? I wonder why the CO1 isn't consistent with its foam. I have an assumption. You have lowered your bioload that could impact the skimmers preformance since it's made for larger tank/bioload. The smaller skimmer may work better for your smaller bioload. Opposite of what I've been thinking about my tank. I've got the bubble magus NAC 3.5 which is nearly the same as the SCA 301 but have a larger bioload. Which is why I'm thinking of getting a larger volume skimmer. It's all just a guess since you sold your large solon wrasse.

Even with the Solon Fairy Wrasse the skimmer would not hold a foam head to the collection cup. I've been trying to find the sweet spot and I have finally given up on it. It is a really good skimmer though, just not for a 40g tank IME.

• Like 3

Even with the Solon Fairy Wrasse the skimmer would not hold a foam head to the collection cup. I've been trying to find the sweet spot and it I have given up on it. It is a really good skimmer though, just not for a 40g tank IME.

That's understandable. I had aqua-C EV180 (now in the closet) that worked ok but never got the a nice consistent foam.

• Like 1
Arkayology

I'm sad that the PC superman looks like poo nowadays. It is green and red atm. I think I am going to have to wait for new growth to get the blue tips back unfortunately. I'm patient, but I think that my nutrients may be a tad high. I'm hoping a skimmer that is rated exactly for my size tank will help.

Also, my validia, red dragon, setosa, and sunset monti are growing at alarming rates. I am going to have to frag them very soon or I will have some coral warfare on my hands.

Mr. Microscope

I've got the Bubble Magus 3.0 and experiencing the same issue. Crap around the neck, nothing in the cup. I wonder if it will change with the added two fish I'm getting?

Good luck with the SCA!

• Like 1

Also, my validia, red dragon, setosa, and sunset monti are growing at alarming rates. I am going to have to frag them very soon or I will have some coral warfare on my hands.

If you frag some nice size pieces and would ship id take some of that valida and red dragon. Been trying to get some red dragon but cant find any local.

• Like 1
Arkayology

I've got the Bubble Magus 3.0 and experiencing the same issue. Crap around the neck, nothing in the cup. I wonder if it will change with the added two fish I'm getting?

Good luck with the SCA!

It might. I get some mad sludge in the neck of the skimmer. I guess it is removing stuff but I can't clean the cup neck easily so it is a pain.

What ark are you happy with the trade from the radions I know it's been sometime now

It definitely has shifted the colors of the corals from LED to T5. I wouldn't say that one is better than the other, just different. I guess different colors out of the SPS under different lighting. I will say that I like the T5s because they allow me to place SPS more spread out than the single radion - though I may like the colors of the SPS under the radion better? Not sure really. I will be putting the radion up again the next week or so before summer starts and it gets too hot and we will see what happens. I have the wide angle lens so it may help direct some light to the edges to a greater extent than before.

If you frag some nice size pieces and would ship id take some of that valida and red dragon. Been trying to get some red dragon but cant find any local.

I can make 1'' frags of each of them plus a couple others. The RD is growing in a giant cluster instead of long branches atm so it's hard to get big pieces. I'll let you know what I have and maybe we can work out something. It's a very healthy coral though - PE during the day; it is loving life. I shipping a frag to Cruz a little while ago. I am interested to see how it does in his tank.

• Like 2

I can make 1'' frags of each of them plus a couple others. The RD is growing in a giant cluster instead of long branches atm so it's hard to get big pieces. I'll let you know what I have and maybe we can work out something. It's a very healthy coral though - PE during the day; it is loving life. I shipping a frag to Cruz a little while ago. I am interested to see how it does in his tank.

Sure let me know.