ReefCleaners.org

Arkayology's Rimless 40g

Arkayology

Since I sold the solon fairy wrasse, but my yasha gobi (who never left it's hole save for feeding time) has been sitting outside the burrow on a regular basis. I guess it was afraid of just the fairy wrasse for some reason even though the fairy wrasse was a very gentle fish. Either way this it's nice to see a fish I paid $35 for 2 years ago to finally be visible. I have been thinking about getting a second yasha for it and trying to get them to pair. I am pretty sure it is a female since it doesn't have the spot on the pectoral fins so I can either get a male or another female and let one of them turn.

I am also thinking about getting a McCosker flasher wrasse. It's been awhile since I had one. I may not get another fairy wrasse for this tank. I love wrasses but the fairies just get too big eventually.

Tank looks great! However I would like to say that some Fairy wrasses are smaller than the McCoskers flasher, and one flasher (The eightline) gets around the same size as the Solon fairy.

My favorite small fairy wrasse is by far Cirrhilabrus cf. lanceolatus, but it's pricey.

• Like 1
Arkayology

Tank looks great! However I would like to say that some Fairy wrasses are smaller than the McCoskers flasher, and one flasher (The eightline) gets around the same size as the Solon fairy.

My favorite small fairy wrasse is by far Cirrhilabrus cf. lanceolatus, but it's pricey.

It's true that some fairy wrasses are smaller than some of the larger flashers. I'm not really sure what I am doing to do about adding another fish just yet. I think I am going to wait and see what I can find. That is a nice fairy wrasse you mentioned.

picoreef78

How do you like the B-Ionic Alk/Ca two part? I have been using the BRS stuff but sometimes I get an inconsistent change (using there calculator recommendations)

Sk8n Reefer

I have decided to get a new skimmer. I ordered a SCA 301. It has good reviews and it is cheap. The Aquamaxx C-01 is a great skimmer, but it is too big for my tank I think. I just can't get a decent skim; brown stuff just collects in the neck of the skimmer but nothing goes into the cup. I don't think it can sustain a foam head.

Hope you like the skimmer- I also have this unit waiting for when the 50gal. is set up. How's the break in period been?

Arkayology

How do you like the B-Ionic Alk/Ca two part? I have been using the BRS stuff but sometimes I get an inconsistent change (using there calculator recommendations)

I have been using the Bionic two-part for 4 years now. I find it very easy to use. The gallon jugs go a long way too.

Hope you like the skimmer- I also have this unit waiting for when the 50gal. is set up. How's the break in period been?

I do like it. It took about 5 days to break in and start forming a good foam head. Since than I have been just dialing it in to get a little darker skimmate. Overall, I don't regret the purchase at all so far.

Things are looking great Ark, as always :).

Thanks Jase.

• Like 2
Sk8n Reefer

I do like it. It took about 5 days to break in and start forming a good foam head. Since than I have been just dialing it in to get a little darker skimmate. Overall, I don't regret the purchase at all so far.

Great thanks,

How many inches of water is it in. I've tried to find a good water level document on it but I can't seem to find anything.

Arkayology

Great thanks,

How many inches of water is it in. I've tried to find a good water level document on it but I can't seem to find anything.

I found a few people saying that about 1" above the bubble plate (roughly sitting in 8") is about right. If you find that it works well at a different depth lmk.

• Like 1
Sk8n Reefer

I found a few people saying that about 1" above the bubble plate (roughly sitting in 8") is about right. If you find that it works well at a different depth lmk.

Will do for sure, thanks!

Arkayology

I'm think I'm going to switch over to the Radion this weekend. It's getting a little warm around here.

Why the skimmer switch?

The AquaMaxx is a great skimmer, but I decided it was just too big. I never got a good foam head and nothing in the cup unless it was super wet skimmate. The smaller skimmer gives me a nice dark yellow-green color skimmate and it smells funky.

I have the aquamaxx cleaned up and ready to ship if anyone wants it :)

• Like 2
Arkayology

Now that it's summer and the temps are getting a little higher, I've decided to put the Radion G3 back up above the tank. I am using Radiant Color Mode @ 80% intensity with the wide-angle lenses. Other than that, nothing really interesting to report. Things are growing and doing well. I moved a couple corals around lately to allow for more growth/avoid stings.

IMG_3406.jpg
IMG_3412.jpg
Excuse the haziness of this pic. I have just got done pulling some chaeto out of the sump and it let a lot of detritus loose.
IMG_3413.jpg
  • Like 12
Sk8n Reefer

Dang, great FTS that purple acro in the middle is intense. What is encrusting the right front- that's quite a large piece

• Like 1
Arkayology

Dang, great FTS that purple acro in the middle is intense. What is encrusting the right front- that's quite a large piece

The purple acro is an A. validia I believe. It was a 1'' half-dead frag when I got it. It has been through some rough times but it is a stunner now and growing well.

Looking great. Nice pieces.

Looks great. The colors are fantastic!

Thanks!!!

• Like 2
myarmolich

Ahh I love this tank! Looking forward to starting a tank down at UCSB in the next couple of years once im out of the dorms :D

• Like 1
picoreef78

Looking great. Let me know how you like the radions again. I have mine set on the same with 85% and modified the most intense time to 13k.

• Like 1
Arkayology

After a lot of thought, I've decided to take this tank down. I will be traveling a lot this summer, and throughout the next year, for my dissertation. It will just be too much to deal with while I am gone for such long periods of time.

myarmolich

After a lot of thought, I've decided to take this tank down. I will be traveling a lot this summer, and throughout the next year, for my dissertation. It will just be too much to deal with while I am gone for such long periods of time.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO :(

• Like 1

If there was an unlike button I would be clicking it right now! :(

• Like 3