Top Shelf Aquatics

Arkayology's Rimless 40g

Arkayology

Good to know that the skimmer pump will keep going. I had an SWC160 on my 60g cube and the Atman pump on it crapped out on me. I was wary to try another. Why wasn't the skimmer working well near the end? Was the body damaged?

I don't know, stopped skimming dry, I would get a Very wet skimmate.

After a lot of thought, I've decided to take this tank down. I will be traveling a lot this summer, and throughout the next year, for my dissertation. It will just be too much to deal with while I am gone for such long periods of time.

Wait, what?! :(

Noooooooo! But I understand where you're coming from. Better to let someone else care for your corals in their tank than watch your tank crash due to neglect, or completely stress out over your tank when you need to concentrate on higher priorities in life.

On the other hand, small picos are really easy to care for.. :D

Arkayology

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO :(

If there was an unlike button I would be clicking it right now! :(

Oh no.... Thats terrible!

I'll be back. Don't worry.

Don't do it :(

Yeah, it pains me but I am fearful that the corals will suffer with all the extended time I will be gone.

Wait, what?! :(

Yup.

Noooooooo! But I understand where you're coming from. Better to let someone else care for your corals in their tank than watch your tank crash due to neglect, or completely stress out over your tank when you need to concentrate on higher priorities in life.

On the other hand, small picos are really easy to care for.. :D

Yeah, my research has to come first. I need to get out of grad school lol.

Sorry to hear this but perfectly understandable. Get 'gradual' school finished, get that high paying job, buy a giant tank. :D

• Like 2
picoreef78

Congratulations on an awesome tank. Understand life commitments and of course "All good things must come to an end".

Awesome tank, thanks for the advised and help.

Good luck with your dissertation!

• Like 1

Livestock are spoken for - thanks for everyone offering to buy some of the colonies and frags though.

Well that was quick.

Sorry to hear about this, btw. Hope you still pop you head in here from time to time. Although, I am sure we will see you back at some point.

• Like 1

O wow, that is sad that the tank is coming down, but I understand. There is only so much time and resources and one must set realistic goals. It is much sadder to let a tank die of neglect so you are making the wise choice.

• Like 1
Mr. Microscope

Congratulations on the coming year. I hope your dissertation goes well. I imagine you'll be able to purchase a few plane tickets for traveling after you sell off your massive colonies. Good luck! Be well.

• Like 1

Sorry to see that you are taking the tank down Ark. Wishing you all the best in your upcoming year. Can't wait to see how your next tank will turn out.

• Like 1
Arkayology

Thanks for all the comments! I appreciate it. I hope to get back into the hobby sooner rather than later. :) I'll post one more pic of the tank right before it is drained just so we have a start to finish.

• Like 8

After a lot of thought, I've decided to take this tank down. I will be traveling a lot this summer, and throughout the next year, for my dissertation. It will just be too much to deal with while I am gone for such long periods of time.

There are plenty of reef keeping years ahead of you :). Good luck to you with everything :flower:.

sad news but ive done the same thing and in the long run its better on all of the animals. gonna start another tank after youre done?

sad news but ive done the same thing and in the long run its better on all of the animals. gonna start another tank after youre done?

I think after I'm done I will start plans for another tank, yeah. It all depends on where I get a job and if it is permanent or not.
  • Like 1

Thanks for the kind words, everyone. That tank is down and the livestock is sold. I am not sure when I will be back but you can bet on my return. I will probably be doing a FS thread after I get back from my summer research, but if you really want to buy anything I have PM me and we can work it out now.

• Like 1

Have fun this summer. Where are you going? Back to Peru?

Yup. I'll be there for a couple months this summer. Next spring I plan to be there for 5/6 months doing my dissertation research (if I get my funding grants I applied for of course).

• Like 1