Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Arkayology's Rimless 40g

Arkayology

wow.such.chris

Went through 50+ pages of your thread looking for when you got your sump... :wacko: figured I should just ask what page its on.

how high is the baffle for your skimmer section?

Went through 50+ pages of your thread looking for when you got your sump... :wacko: figured I should just ask what page its on.

how high is the baffle for your skimmer section?

It was about 6.5 inches. I had a little stand to raise/lower the skimmer depending on the type of skimmate I wanted.

wow.such.chris

It was about 6.5 inches. I had a little stand to raise/lower the skimmer depending on the type of skimmate I wanted.

Lol admit it, you can't dig through this and find when you got it either! haha! This thread needs a table of contents...

Serious though, thanks for the info. That seems low relative to the water height most skimmers call for from what I've read. Could I be misinterpreting what manufacturers mean when they publish water level for their sump? Do you run yours abnormally shallow? Looks like I gotta do some reading on skimmers :mellow:

Lol admit it, you can't dig through this and find when you got it either! haha! This thread needs a table of contents...

Serious though, thanks for the info. That seems low relative to the water height most skimmers call for from what I've read. Could I be misinterpreting what manufacturers mean when they publish water level for their sump? Do you run yours abnormally shallow? Looks like I gotta do some reading on skimmers :mellow:

You know, I went through some notes I had and it turns out it was 9inches, not 6.5 like I thought before. <_< I ran my skimmer about 8.5 inches in the skimmer section. Sorry for the confusion.

• Like 1

Im sure this was asked or stated.

What is that encrusting piece in the front right of tank? Rainbow Monti?

Sunset monti. That particular strain grew very fast. I saw it overtake many other montis and zoas.

• 2 months later...

I still have my Apex controller and Apex auto feeder. I'm not sure if it is worth keeping them for the next build (not going to happen until 2-3 years from now) or sell. I ask because I wonder how much technology will advance in the next few years while my controller sits and is unused and I worry it will be obsolete when I get around to setting up another tank. Thoughts?

I really want to get a reef going again but I have been applying from research grants and I know it would be a bad idea since the moment I get the tank set up I will get one of them and be gone until Christmas :(

• Like 1

I still have my Apex controller and Apex auto feeder. I'm not sure if it is worth keeping them for the next build (not going to happen until 2-3 years from now) or sell. I ask because I wonder how much technology will advance in the next few years while my controller sits and is unused and I worry it will be obsolete when I get around to setting up another tank. Thoughts?

I really want to get a reef going again but I have been applying from research grants and I know it would be a bad idea since the moment I get the tank set up I will get one of them and be gone until Christmas :(

I would probably cut them loose. As you say, technology is always advancing and there may be a new "must have" item by then. I am sure it won't be obsolete by then but may not be the new and improved version- which you'll have to have anyway ? Good to hear from you once in awhile. Good luck with your career. Your tank was one of my favorites and I enjoyed our discussions. I finally started my upgrade- check it out if you get a chance. I am about ready to add some smooth skin acros ?

http://www.nano-reef.com/topic/368698-moai-of-the-sea/

• Like 1

I would probably cut them loose. As you say, technology is always advancing and there may be a new "must have" item by then. I am sure it won't be obsolete by then but may not be the new and improved version- which you'll have to have anyway Good to hear from you once in awhile. Good luck with your career. Your tank was one of my favorites and I enjoyed our discussions. I finally started my upgrade- check it out if you get a chance. I am about ready to add some smooth skin acros

http://www.nano-reef.com/topic/368698-moai-of-the-sea/

I would sell them Indy.

Thanks for the advice you two. I guess these two things are off the to sales forum. I'll just have to buy new for the next tank! :D

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...

Wow.... The IM Abyss Drop-Off tank is really great looking! I was contemplating setting up a small tank next year after I am back from my fieldwork... It would be a simple setup and probably not have much in the way of SPS or high-tech goodies like my previous tanks, but it would be nice to have a tank again.

*begins contemplating how to convince wife to purchase*

• Like 6
TheKleinReef

Wow.... The IM Abyss Drop-Off tank is really great looking! I was contemplating setting up a small tank next year after I am back from my fieldwork... It would be a simple setup and probably not have much in the way of SPS or high-tech goodies like my previous tanks, but it would be nice to have a tank again.

*begins contemplating how to convince wife to purchase*

Lol won't have much in the way of sps.

You're so funny ark. :D

• Like 2
  • 1 month later...
Arkayology

No new tank for awhile now. I found out recently that I was awarded a prestigious research grant to be in Peru for this summer/fall and part of winter to work on my dissertation data collection. It sounds very exciting, but mostly it will be me sitting at a microscope looking for burnt seeds in bags of dirt from archaeological sites and waiting for permits to come through. I do plan to do a couple trips to Chile and Bolivia though.

I guess I can keep dreaming of having a tank. I've been in grad school too long now... essentially as long as I have been a member of this site!

• Like 7
jedimasterben

I found out recently that I was awarded a prestigious research grant to be in Peru for this summer/fall and part of winter to work on my dissertation data collection. It sounds very exciting, but mostly it will be me sitting at a microscope looking for burnt seeds in bags of dirt from archaeological sites and waiting for permits to come through.

:lol:

Awesome you got the grant. Hope you find every burnt seed ever :)

• Like 5
Arkayology

:lol:

Awesome you got the grant. Hope you find every burnt seed ever :)

Me too! I mostly find beans, maize, cacti, and quinoa, but I find some other things that are more interesting like peanuts, molle (Peruvian Pepper Tree), avocado, and other fruits.

• Like 1

No new tank for awhile now. I found out recently that I was awarded a prestigious research grant to be in Peru for this summer/fall and part of winter to work on my dissertation data collection. It sounds very exciting, but mostly it will be me sitting at a microscope looking for burnt seeds in bags of dirt from archaeological sites and waiting for permits to come through. I do plan to do a couple trips to Chile and Bolivia though.

I guess I can keep dreaming of having a tank. I've been in grad school too long now... essentially as long as I have been a member of this site!

Congrats!

Daddy what's gradual school?

Oh Gradual school is where you go to school and you gradually find out you don't want to go to school anymore.

World According to Garp

• Like 5
Arkayology

Congrats!

Daddy what's gradual school?

Oh Gradual school is where you go to school and you gradually find out you don't want to go to school anymore.

World According to Garp

tumblr_inline_o5iwmiEXkP1rqfc4i_500.gif

• Like 6
teenyreef

Congratulations on the grant! It sounds, well, prestigious :D

Too bad you can't take a tiny pico reef vase with you!

• Like 2
Arkayology

Congratulations on the grant! It sounds, well, prestigious :D

Too bad you can't take a tiny pico reef vase with you!

Thanks! It just gives me more time to plan my 120g upgrade :)

• Like 2
  • 2 months later...

Hello from Peru! I have been down here for about a month and will not be back until December. I do have internet access and I have been spending some time reading through tank threads to keep in the loop on what is going on in the hobby.

New tank will most likely not happen anytime soon :( I made a deal with the wife that I can get a new tank (120g) when I get out of grad school and get a job lol.

• Like 5