Coral Vue Hydros

Ian's Dual-12" Cube Reef/Fuge w/Sump

Looselyhuman

Yeah well in a 12" cube you don't run them at 100% ;)

ha ha yeah not even close.

Thanks for your reply, ive been trying to brainstorm for my aquascape but since i dont have the rocks yet im at a loss. I really like the way it disappears against the black background though so i may try what you have going and see how it works out for me.

• Replies 686
  • Created
  • Last Reply
:lol:, it would soon take up the ENTIRE cube!

Wait.... the more I think about it, the more this sounds like the best idea ever/

:wub: I almost did that...but I was afraid I'd get bored with just one, and when I get bored... :blink::scarry:

I've been wanting to get a BTA for ages now.

Someday.....

Me too, especially after I saw this awesome light neon green one at a LFS for <$30...I almost impulsed purchased(the thought of the condy stuck up the filter made me stop :huh: )

Yeah....that's the nem I was drooling over!!!!!! She has something I want really badly!!!!!! I may be placing an order as well ;)

Oooh. :ninja:

You could always get one of these (I get the sense she may have more - not sure) and keep your clown and NC12...

Playing Seymour to my Emerald Monster, I went out and bought him an algae rock that happened to have this Echinata stuck to it (temp location):

IMG_3137.jpg

Also some macroalgae shots (the last two are top-down):

IMG_3129.jpg

IMG_3127.jpg

IMG_3126.jpg

Can't believe i just did this.

Order #5 (Pending)

Order Total: $185.00 Order Date: Monday 19 November, 2012

Products 1 x Onyx Picasso j

oncasso.jpg

I'm thinking this is gonna be a big ol female, so just have to find her a little boy toy.

I really was going to wait for that BTA but Morgan is goofing off somewhere. ;)

Bear with me, I got a whole bunch of new corals in today.

Uhuh. :P

Mission accomplished. :D

:eek: I see what you did there :P

Well shoot, I just got rid of mine, I would have sent it to ya!

Where's the slapping forehead smiley :lol: I don't know where I'd put it anyway...

Nice Clown.

You guys would kill me, cause one of my LFS has a very nice variety of the fancier Clownfish types for sale at their storefront. You know, the really expensive ones that you usually only see for sale online. How do I have access to this, you may ask. Well, it's because the store was bought by Sustainable Aquatics, one of the world's largest captive breeders of Clownfish. Unfortunately, it's lost on me cause I don't really have the $$ to throw down on a fish like that. I did enjoy looking at all the Fancy Clowns in the tanks when I was there last week though.

Nice Clown.

You guys would kill me, cause one of my LFS has a very nice variety of the fancier Clownfish types for sale at their storefront. You know, the really expensive ones that you usually only see for sale online. How do I have access to this, you may ask. Well, it's because the store was bought by Sustainable Aquatics, one of the world's largest captive breeders of Clownfish. Unfortunately, it's lost on me cause I don't really have the $$ to throw down on a fish like that. I did enjoy looking at all the Fancy Clowns in the tanks when I was there last week though.

An SA store?? All those ORNL scientists must be total reef geeks. :D Seriously that is pretty cool.

Ok I just saw that their main facility is in TN also. That makes sense.

So, I really don't have this kind of coin either, but.... I remember saving up $500 (well, half - parents chipped in) for my black lab as a kid. Clowns are just like black labs (or maybe golden retrievers?) and I'll have her for a long time probably, so, figured I should pay for a good one. /rationalization

Ok, clowns do have slightly wetter noses.

It probably wouldn't go where you put it, anyway! :lol:

This.

Wowzers, that's a purdy fish and it will look great in that BTA!!! Did you ever find Morgan? That girl really does need a spanking!

Yes she emailed late last night. Speaking of coin - that girl can extract it like nothing else. :P

Nem and clown should be arriving at around the same time tomorrow. Not sure how that is going to work out. :huh:

It probably wouldn't go where you put it, anyway! :lol:

That's what I'm afraid of :lol:

Idk, my dad's yellow lab has what feels like the wettest nose on earth. Which he sticks on whatever bare skin he can reach (which is a lot since he's 100lbs, tall dog) :P

How's your emerald crab doing playing nice with everyone? I'm debating getting one since I seem to have every algae under the sun popping up in my tank. (Bubble, GHA, some weird red one, dictyota that hopefully I manually removed all of, bryopsis looking one...)

Cut back feeding, water changes every few days, manual removal all being done already, but I figure some biological help might not hurt.

That's what I'm afraid of :lol:

Idk, my dad's yellow lab has what feels like the wettest nose on earth. Which he sticks on whatever bare skin he can reach (which is a lot since he's 100lbs, tall dog) :P

How's your emerald crab doing playing nice with everyone? I'm debating getting one since I seem to have every algae under the sun popping up in my tank. (Bubble, GHA, some weird red one, dictyota that hopefully I manually removed all of, bryopsis looking one...)

Cut back feeding, water changes every few days, manual removal all being done already, but I figure some biological help might not hurt.

Yep like a cold, wet heat-seaking missile, those noses. :lol:

Crabby is being good so far - trying to keep him well fed. My GBGs taunt him and I'm still worried that's not going to end well. :eek: If you get one, go to the LFS and pick one out yourself. It should be small and have small thin claws. Females have a better reputation. Not sure what I'm going to do with mine...

Btw, he also has a knack for dislodging frags. :angry:

Your macros are amazing and the fishy looks cute. I am still having Alk and Calc swings even with dosers. I'm not sure what to do at this point. I CANNOT be testing and adjusting daily. That is the whole purpose of having dosers! Thoughts? (and you're not allowed to use the word KALK)

(and you're not allowed to use the word KALK)

Then I have no thoughts. ;)

Your macros are amazing and the fishy looks cute. I am still having Alk and Calc swings even with dosers. I'm not sure what to do at this point. I CANNOT be testing and adjusting daily. That is the whole purpose of having dosers! Thoughts?

Thanks!

So, I still say equal parts of 2-part, at the high end of what you think it's taking. For example, if you're dosing 25mL of each a day and seeing swings in the range of 7-8dkH, lock it in at 30mL a day and test again after a week. Test at the same time each day you test. Unless calcium goes over 500, do not dose it less than the alk. Do not add any other buffers! K.I.S.S.

Also make sure mag is at least 1300, as you know.

Have enough photosynthesis happening in your fuge at night? Not sure but I think pH can have a pushback effect on alk so pH swings might lead to alk swings... Not scientific at all but they are linked in my head that way.

Those are my thoughts, besides the obvious one....

Let me ask you, is it possible that the consumption of ALK changes dramatically?

Back when I was frustrated enough to get on RC for an answer, you remember I was testing every single day? The consumption of alk was 1.4 daily. I used that in the calculations for the dosers and the ALK was increasing in small bits every day. At the end of the day, if I am dosing correctly, I should be stable, +/- a few points. But that is not the case, I am still swinging (albeit slowly) between 7-11.

Coming back to my question, is it possible that my consumption has changed and should I test all over again by stopping the dosing and testing for a week?

As to the fuge, added a much stronger light 2 days ago so hopefully that does something positive.

And finally, I am using home mixed BRS 2 part. It is not the same as dosing ESV or TLF 2 parts which are bottled and meant to be used in equal amounts. Should I still be dosing equal amounts of the BRS stuff?

So, I am just really skeptical of the 7-11dKH swings, given consistent dosing. I feel llike your SPS would be dead/dying if that were happening, even slowly.

Since the transfer, mine has been hovering around 8dKH. I have been upping my 2-part slowly (from 15mL to 20mL a day) and it's incredibly sticky - still just barely above 8dKH. I am not going to go nuts and jump to 25mL, but will keep slowly pushing it up. I don't want to overshoot.

If you really do have swings into the 11 range, my last advice (the 30mL thing) would be bad, and is counter to what I'm doing in my tank. But I'm not having swings. I feel like swings mean less buffering capacity of some sort which is why I was thinking more...

Maybe not enough of the dreaded borate? Magnesium..? But mostly, I'm skeptical of your test results.

Given constant nutrients and minerals, growth rates _should_ be constant, unless you have halimeda going sexual or something.

It is baffling to be sure. :(

And finally, I am using home mixed BRS 2 part. It is not the same as dosing ESV or TLF 2 parts which are bottled and meant to be used in equal amounts. Should I still be dosing equal amounts of the BRS stuff?

Sorry, missed this. I haven't used it but I would dose the "standard ratio" which would be equivalent to dosing equal amounts of the liquid stuff. So if they say to do 1.5:2 as the normal ratio then stick with that.

jedimasterben
Maybe not enough of the dreaded borate? Magnesium..? But mostly, I'm skeptical of your test results.

Borate is an unnecessary addition, per RHF, especially concerning alkalinity supplements. No point in addition something that is only going to give you a 'false' alk reading (ie, borate isn't used like carbonate, so why add it instead of more carbonate?).

Borate is an unnecessary addition, per RHF, especially concerning alkalinity supplements. No point in addition something that is only going to give you a 'false' alk reading (ie, borate isn't used like carbonate, so why add it instead of more carbonate?).

Under these conditions, the boric acid/borate system provides about 23% of the total buffering, while the bicarbonate/carbonate system provides about 77%.

http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2002/12/chemistry

I'm not saying she should add, and the article is the basis of the CW that we may be OD-ing with our 2-parts, but I was just remembering that BRS doesn't have borate so she may actually have less than NSW... Throwing stuff out there mostly.

jedimasterben
I'm not saying she should add, and the article is the basis of the CW that we may be OD-ing with our 2-parts, but I was just remembering that BRS doesn't have borate so she may actually have less than NSW... Throwing stuff out there mostly.

I'll have to find it, it was on reefkeeping and he had a different opinion on it then.

Cute :happy:

Yep like a cold, wet heat-seaking missile, those noses. :lol:

More cuteness :happy:

I kind of hate when I place orders from different retailers and the orders arrive on the same day. I prefer the excitement to be spread out over a few days. Darn those timely merchants!!!!!! :lol:

I can't get over how much awesomeness you will be getting tomorrow :happydance:

Archived