Coral Vue Hydros

Ian's Dual-12" Cube Reef/Fuge w/Sump

Looselyhuman

Trimming Macros is easy.

1.) Pull Macro out of tank

2.) Cut

3.) Ship to me! B)

:lol: Ok. Some of it is attached how I want it so it will be trimming in the tank. The one I really don't know how to deal with is the Scroll algae - does anyone have any experience with that stuff?

So, if I get enough to ship you're first on the list. There will definitely be Ochtodes but I know you have some. I might have some of the "Burning Bush" which is similar to Halymenia. I also have that brown algae that was sold to me as Gracilaria mammillaris...

You're welcome to some Scroll algae (I believe it's White Scroll btw), but not sure it can be coaxed into attaching?

• Replies 686
  • Created
  • Last Reply
They look so 'settled in' already, so pretty! And that unknow epic-ness is awesome B)

Thanks! I begged and pleaded to get that from my LFS. The guy was holding it for a friend. He has a whole colony of it, and had mounted two seperate frag rocks like this one, wanting to give this other guy a choice... Anyway, I threw a little bit of a tantrum - take my money RIGHT NOW OR I AM NEVER LEAVING. :P

I don't personally have experience w/that Scroll algae, but I think keydiver does, I'd ask him.

As far as attaching it, I'm not sure myself.

Superglue? Experimentation?

:bowdown:

It looks fantastic!!!!!! I LOVE that Tricolor valida :wub: And the unknown epic frag is really sweet as well!!!!!!!!

The scroll algae will attach itself to a surface. I've had it do that for me in the past. You just have to get it to stay put to allow it to attach. Isn't it called Padina sp? Or maybe that's something else. It's an awesome algae!!!!!

Everything looks amazing :)

These tanks are absolutely incredible. You deserve TOTM just for executing this concept insanely well. And I completely agree, everything looks super healthy!

I don't personally have experience w/that Scroll algae, but I think keydiver does, I'd ask him.

As far as attaching it, I'm not sure myself.

Superglue? Experimentation?

Yeah I might play around with it. Do have all that rubble...

:bowdown:

It looks fantastic!!!!!! I LOVE that Tricolor valida :wub: And the unknown epic frag is really sweet as well!!!!!!!!

The scroll algae will attach itself to a surface. I've had it do that for me in the past. You just have to get it to stay put to allow it to attach. Isn't it called Padina sp? Or maybe that's something else. It's an awesome algae!!!!!

Everything looks amazing :)

Thanks Gena. :blush:

Those are my two favorite sticks too - with the unknown tort a close third. I have a cali tort also but it's not any more impressive (at least in my lighting) than the $20 unknown one - which seems to be growing faster to boot. I love my A. selago but it's recovering from a bleaching right now so I'm throwing it under the bus. :lol:

Yep, Padina sp! I'm gonna try it. So what about pruning? Should I try to pull off whole "scrolls" or what?

How are you liking those two lights? What optics are you using?

LEDTRiC: I've gotten used to the blueness of the spectrum, but pretty much hate the disco ball effect. I keep it because it's the only budget non-DIY solution for full spectrum LED. 90 degree optics.

BoostLED: Awesome little light that grows macros like mad. 60 degrees.

These tanks are absolutely incredible. You deserve TOTM just for executing this concept insanely well. And I completely agree, everything looks super healthy!

Thanks! I am nowhere near TOTM level but really appreciate the kind words.

Speaking of excelent execution: Your AIO kicks ass. :bowdown:

Beautiful! I love the different colors coming from the lights (even though you're not so into blue :P )

I finally see what you mean by the disco-ball effect though. If an extra $100 ever frees itself for lights, the full spectrum from Bright Aquatics don't appear to have much that I can see. Also a little less blue (depending on the time of I day I swear it changes! :wacko: )

Beautiful! I love the different colors coming from the lights (even though you're not so into blue :P )

I finally see what you mean by the disco-ball effect though. If an extra $100 ever frees itself for lights, the full spectrum from Bright Aquatics don't appear to have much that I can see. Also a little less blue (depending on the time of I day I swear it changes! :wacko: )

Thanks Jaime. :) I might give one a shot at some point. What did you end up paying in duties btw?

Yep, Padina sp! I'm gonna try it. So what about pruning? Should I try to pull off whole "scrolls" or what?

I would cut it if you can. Just below the scroll and maybe rubber band it to some rubble (or super glue it on). It won't attach quickly, but over time it will. If you are going to ship it to people, I wouldn't bother with trying to attach it to something. Let them worry about it ;)

Hi Ian. The alk is at a good level now, working on getting that to stay where it is at and get the calcium up. I spoke to BRS and they said initially when you start dosing their 2 part the one component will be more than the other depending on what their calculator says. But then as you dose, the levels do need to be adjusted frequently. And finally the tank should reach a stability point where ti does not fluctuate rapidly, but does not mean it stays at exactly the same level.

At that stage, adjust both alk and cal to dose equal amounts.

FYI

I would cut it if you can. Just below the scroll and maybe rubber band it to some rubble (or super glue it on). It won't attach quickly, but over time it will. If you are going to ship it to people, I wouldn't bother with trying to attach it to something. Let them worry about it ;)

Ok, I will try to reach it with my little toenail scissors. It's in an awkward spot - which is also why it needs pruning - it's butting up againt the glass.

Hi Ian. The alk is at a good level now, working on getting that to stay where it is at and get the calcium up. I spoke to BRS and they said initially when you start dosing their 2 part the one component will be more than the other depending on what their calculator says. But then as you dose, the levels do need to be adjusted frequently. And finally the tank should reach a stability point where ti does not fluctuate rapidly, but does not mean it stays at exactly the same level.

At that stage, adjust both alk and cal to dose equal amounts.

FYI

Alrighty then. :) Sounds complicated. I'm at 20mL of each part of b-ionic a day and things are pretty stable right now. Hope you get to that place. It's nice here.

speaking of trimming macros. i have to cut mine back too. the violet dream is starting to take off.

Ooh I need to get some of that.

Alrighty then. :) Sounds complicated. I'm at 20mL of each part of b-ionic a day and things are pretty stable right now. Hope you get to that place. It's nice here.

gazes at where Ian is with longing. Sigh. Thomas the engine plays in my head every time i see the dosers working. Yes i can yes i can yes i can. :huh:

:D

Ok, I will try to reach it with my little toenail scissors. It's in an awkward spot - which is also why it needs pruning - it's butting up againt the glass.

You can dooo it :)

When that algae gets comfortable in your tank, it will really take off!!!!! I wish I had room for some!!!!!

You can dooo it :)

When that algae gets comfortable in your tank, it will really take off!!!!! I wish I had room for some!!!!!

Wait, it hasn't taken off yet? :huh:

;)

This one piece of LR that it sprouted on also has a ton of Halimeda. Interesting how that happens.

Wait, it hasn't taken off yet? :huh:

;)

This one piece of LR that it sprouted on also has a ton of Halimeda. Interesting how that happens.

What?????? That Padina was a HH????? How cool is that!!!!! I meant "your" in general. Yours has definitely gotten comfortable in your tank :lol:

What?????? That Padina was a HH????? How cool is that!!!!! I meant "your" in general. Yours has definitely gotten comfortable in your tank :lol:

Yes, yes it was. B)

And yes, it definitely has!! :lol:

Edit: you can see it, about a month after it first appeared, in this pic (upper left - this is happy valley in the old 10g, btw):

IMG_2927.jpg

Well eff me. I think I may have Monti-eating nudibranchs on my setosa. :o Of course it's really hard to tell, I will try to take better pics tomorrow.

Click for full size:

MENs.jpg

I've had this thing since August and added my only other Monti (hirsuta) at almost the same time. Only new inhabitants are 2 zoas/palys and a mushroom, from Morgan... Also, about a week ago I mounted this in more light, and setup my Bubble Magus 2-part doser too. Either could conceivably cause this... The amount it's dosing is pretty close to what I was dosing manually - more consistently though.

dKH 8.9

Calcium 490

Mag (still slowly bringing it down from algae-treating levels): 1500

Phosphate (Hannah) 0.00

So the other possibility is too few nutrients I guess?

But the spots sure look like nudis. :tears:

Well eff me. I think I may have Monti-eating nudibranchs on my setosa. :o Of course it's really hard to tell, I will try to take better pics tomorrow.

Click for full size:

MENs.jpg

I've had this thing since August and added my only other Monti (hirsuta) at almost the same time. Only new inhabitants are 2 zoas/palys and a mushroom, from Morgan... Also, about a week ago I mounted this in more light, and setup my Bubble Magus 2-part doser too. Either could conceivably cause this... The amount it's dosing is pretty close to what I was dosing manually - more consistently though.

dKH 8.9

Calcium 490

Mag (still slowly bringing it down from algae-treating levels): 1500

Phosphate (Hannah) 0.00

So the other possibility is too few nutrients I guess?

But the spots sure look like nudis. :tears:

Ah that sux, sorry Ian. It looks encrusted, how are you going to dip it?

Ummm, that's a tough one to call. May be something else coming out at night to munch?

Not too long ago I had a spot simliar to what you show on my M. undata. During the day, couldn't see any pests anywhere. At night, I caught a worm about as thick as a thin electric wire, merrily munching away. Got the little pest with a pair of sharp tweezers.

Archived