Cultivated Reef

Ian's Dual-12" Cube Reef/Fuge w/Sump

Looselyhuman

Ah that sux, sorry Ian. It looks encrusted, how are you going to dip it?

Thanks Kat. If I can get a positive ID... It's mounted on a piece of rubble which in turn is epoxied to the rock under it. I think I can break it off if needed.

Ummm, that's a tough one to call. May be something else coming out at night to munch?

Not too long ago I had a spot simliar to what you show on my M. undata. During the day, couldn't see any pests anywhere. At night, I caught a worm about as thick as a thin electric wire, merrily munching away. Got the little pest with a pair of sharp tweezers.

Thanks. Yeah that's possible, Could be the emerald crab - I actually saw him on it today. He was picking around the receded tissue at the base. I gave him the benefit of the doubt that he was just going for dead tissue. I am watching him like a hawk.

I will attempt a focused shot tomorrow under full lighting. If there are any nudis or eggs it should be possible to see them.

Sigh.

Edit: btw the image above is clickable for a slightly higher res version.

• Replies 686
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Woke up to GBG larvae in my SPS cube! Those little guys where fighting the MP10 pretty damn well, and were keeping themselves from going over the overflow - at least the ones still in the tank at that point. Stronger than I expected.. for something the size of a nostril hair. :)

They seemed to be going for the light of the moonpop (dawn/dusk lighting) which comes vaguely from the direction of the macro cube.

I took off my filter sock and caught a few and tossed them in the fuge portion of my sump, where the surface is almost dead calm. If only I had something to feed them. Oh well.

Woke up to GBG larvae in my SPS cube! Those little guys where fighting the MP10 pretty damn well, and were keeping themselves from going over the overflow - at least the ones still in the tank at that point. Stronger than I expected.. for something the size of a nostril hair. :)

They seemed to be going for the light of the moonpop (dawn/dusk lighting) which comes vaguely from the direction of the macro cube.

I took off my filter sock and caught a few and tossed them in the fuge portion of my sump, where the surface is almost dead calm. If only I had something to feed them. Oh well.

Soooo coool!! Congrats grandpaw!!

Did you ever figure out if you have bad nudies?

Soooo coool!! Congrats grandpaw!!

Did you ever figure out if you have bad nudies?

I know, right? They just spit out another batch. The male goes into his cave, sucks them up, and spits them out into the current. I didn't have my camera handy though. :(

Not yet, have been preoccupied.

Edit: you can see it, about a month after it first appeared, in this pic (upper left - this is happy valley in the old 10g, btw):

I see that!!! Very cool

I know, right? They just spit out another batch. The male goes into his cave, sucks them up, and spits them out into the current. I didn't have my camera handy though. :(

Not yet, have been preoccupied.

Woah....awesome!!!!!! I would be going crazy right about now trying to rescue every one of those little babies...omgomgomg That's so amazing!!!!!!

Woah....awesome!!!!!! I would be going crazy right about now trying to rescue every one of those little babies...omgomgomg That's so amazing!!!!!!

I know omgomgomg was my frst instict too. But... Save them to starve slowly? I don't have the space to set up special tanks, cultures, etc. :(

Babies! omgomgomg

Didn't end up having to pay any duty on the lights. May have just gotten lucky?

omgomgomg:)

That's interesting. Did they have a big S&H charge? Maybe they took care of it on their end..

??????

I know omgomgomg was my frst instict too. But... Save them to starve slowly? I don't have the space to set up special tanks, cultures, etc. :(

I know. My first thought would have been to save them, but if you don't have anywhere to put them, what's the point? Maybe someday you can set something up. Since you have a confirmed breeding pair :wub:

??????

I know. My first thought would have been to save them, but if you don't have anywhere to put them, what's the point? Maybe someday you can set something up. Since you have a confirmed breeding pair :wub:

:lol: Machete too vague?

Ok fine! I pruned out what seems like a soccerball sized clump of macro, but it still looks overgrown! Pics tomorrow...

I like that I have a pair so they can live out their normal-ish lives, but idk if I ever wan to try to breed marine fish. So much work, and then you're lucky if the LFS will give you $3 each. :o

jedimasterben
Ok fine! I pruned out what seems like a soccerball sized clump of macro, but it still looks overgrown! Pics tomorrow...

I've got more macro in my sump than would fit in both your tanks :lol: but I can't give any away/sell any at the moment because of the ich, I'd feel way too bad about it.

:lol: Machete too vague?

I like that I have a pair so they can live out their normal-ish lives, but idk if I ever wan to try to breed marine fish. So much work, and then you're lucky if the LFS will give you $3 each. :o

:lol: I guess so. I thought it was Indiana Jones at first!

Did you prune the Padina?

I've got more macro in my sump than would fit in both your tanks :lol: but I can't give any away/sell any at the moment because of the ich, I'd feel way too bad about it.

Luckily I have the 10g to stuff it all into. I hate throwing stuff away. Had to toss a nerfball sized clump of chaeto yesterday and it made me grumpy. :rolleyes:

:lol: I guess so. I thought it was Indiana Jones at first!

Did you prune the Padina?

Lol. Yes, I did. Got 3 large ((almost 5") "leaves" off of it!

Congrats on the babies, I hope you can get pics at some point!

Thanks! I will have to get a macro lens first. They look just like sperm, and almost the same size. ;)

Awesome! Wish I had room for some :)

Let me know when you upgrade. :P

So, caught my crab in the act! :angry: Had his claw on one of the tips in a sawing motion. I smacked him with a stick then gave him some nori. He's moved on from that area, for now.

I'm leaving him for the time being. I think it can keep up with his BS for now, and I know he's the only reason my rock is clear of demon algae (it grows unabated on the glass).

Btw, inb4 nutrients:

Nitrate: undetectable (salifert)

Phosphate: 0.00 (hannah)

It's always something.

Looks like yer gonna need some electric hedge clippers! :o

So now that this has been set up for a while, how do you like it? Do you think the fuge actually helps with nutrient control?

Looks like yer gonna need some electric hedge clippers! :o

So now that this has been set up for a while, how do you like it? Do you think the fuge actually helps with nutrient control?

:)

Love it. Yes it definitely does. I have zero detectable phsophates or nitrates and have not been running a skimmer or any chemical filtration since I transferred. I have not had problems with any of the normal algaes...

I was unlucky enough to get a rock with Cladophoropsis - which is more like a very invasive macro (a la Bryopsis, but worse). I don't attribute it to a nutrient issue at all.

Beyond that, rock solid.

Archived