Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Ian's Dual-12" Cube Reef/Fuge w/Sump

Looselyhuman

Good luck. The site notification system is broken as all hell for me. I either get no emails (except for maybe two or three threads) when using the 'only when offline' selection, or 1,000 emails per thread if I set it to 'immediate'. :(

I see a lot of traffic on my thread but I don't get 1000 emails. Are they current comments or a backlog?

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 686
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Work is finally getting under control. Things will be mostly back to normal after one last business trip next week. So just had time to start un-neglecting my tanks and then.. catastrophe struck.

I have the Bubble-Magus 3-way doser running B-Ionic, about 20mL each part per day.

I refilled the reservoirs three days ago, and then on Tuesday noticed things looking terrible. I tested and Ca was off the charts. I know calcium is supposed to precip after about 550 ppm, but my Salifert test was reading well over 1000 - after two tests (each time I emptied the titration syringe twice w/no color change).

I ordered a Red Sea test thinking that was my problem, then just decided to focus on other fundamentals. Did a 10% WC and things looked a little better, and did another today. Turned off the Bubble Magus on Tuesday also, just in case.

But still... Today I'm seeing signs of RTN in most of my SPS, haven't seen one of my gobies since Monday, and the shrimp look half dead.

As I was tidying up after my WC a few minutes ago, I noticed the Ca-part reservoir was EMPTY.

It's a 32oz B-Ionic bottle with a hole drilled for the doser tubing, and sits above my sump. Obviously it siphoned out. But the peristaltic pump is supposed to prevent that... that is, if the head of the pumping mechanism hasn't popped off of the doser! :o

So, this tank is probably toast. I am going to keep doing about 10% WC a day for the next three days, and then I am gone for a week.

C'est la vie.

Updates now. NAOOO!

Fine. :mellow:

Unlike :(

Sorry to read of this. Don't give up though!!!!! How's the macro reacting?

Thanks. The Halymenia stuff is doing OK, but Ochtodes is kinda bleached and brittle, Scroll is melting, and Halimeda is almost all dead.

Oh shiit. Hang in there bro.

Thanks man. Fortunately don't have much time to dwell at the moment.

I wondered if macro would be as sensitive to an overdose like that.

sigh :(

Apparently the calcareous ones (does Ochtodes quality?) are sensitive to calcium - who knew? ;)

If you think about how massive this OD was it boggles the mind. It's almost 2 months' worth in one day.

jedimasterben

Dayum man. I has a sowwy.

I would honestly just do a 100% change or near to it. Everything is already turbo pissed at you, but with better water I think they'll have a better chance.

• 2 months later...

Archived