Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Ian's Dual-12" Cube Reef/Fuge w/Sump

Looselyhuman

omgomgomg great pics. Your macros are looooooovely.

omgomgomg Thanks Jaime! Glad to hear your red blastos are maybe coming back. Sorry about the GHA. I recommend... Macros - lots of them! Also scarlet hermits, maybe a fuzzy chiton...

Love the pictures!!!!!!! I'm so glad you decided to go with this setup. It looks amazing!!!!! Did you end up "rescuing" those 3 sexy shrimp in the HOB filter?

Thanks Ms. Gena. :happy: Yes they're all in there and the boys are already back at it. Hoping they keep all their legs this time. :lol:

SWOOON THUD!!!!!!

Ian, why dyu have 2 pre filters for the Toms? Also I have the same jug that you are using for the ATO, but I'm using them for Alk and Ca for the dosers, should I drill a hole for the tubing? Right now I just have open lids.

Thanks Kat.

I'm using it for Kalk, which lasts better with minimal gas exchange. That's why it's drilled. Kalk is also why I have two prefilters (previously I had two pumps as well, because of the head height). Anyway... I hate having to order that silly floss, so I figure they will last longer if I spread the love - the tubing outlet can clog pretty easily if there are any sediments in the effluent.

Ok, that was a longer explanation than I planned. :D

• Replies 686
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Holy crapoly!!! What a cool set up!!!

Thanks for the sump pics!!!!!.......and tank pics......incredible.

:bowdown:

Aww. Shucks. Thanks Mark.

In other news, got a pom pom crab on Tuesday! omgomgomg Have seen it once. :mellow:

jedimasterben
Aww. Shucks. Thanks Mark.

In other news, got a pom pom crab on Tuesday! omgomgomg Have seen it once. :mellow:

I've actually seen both of mine every single day for the past week. It's strange!

I've actually seen both of mine every single day for the past week. It's strange!

Hmm. Hoping I can starve mine out. ;)

I have 2, I only see one occasionally. Have you seen them do the 'sway' dance?

Not IRL - I don't think. The one time mine came out he/she did swing the nem arms around to get some ReefCleaners filter feeder formula... It's prolly dancing right now, under a rock. :huh:

Gorgeous :wub:

:blush:

Nice! I likey the pom pom crabs :happy: Does yours have big poms? Mine don't have any. But, the other day I saw one had something in both claws. I couldn't figure out what it was. It was tiny whatever it chose to pick up and carry around.

Nice! I likey the pom pom crabs :happy: Does yours have big poms? Mine don't have any. But, the other day I saw one had something in both claws. I couldn't figure out what it was. It was tiny whatever it chose to pick up and carry around.

Yeah he/she has decent size ones. I feel bad for yours now... Maybe if you get another smaller crab with both poms yours will steal one. B) I hear they split them if they lose one.

omgomgomg Thanks Jaime! Glad to hear your red blastos are maybe coming back. Sorry about the GHA. I recommend... Macros - lots of them! Also scarlet hermits, maybe a fuzzy chiton...

Thanks, I'm quite :happydance: about it too, now I just need to get everyone happy w/the new lights. It never ends.

I have a love/hate with macros. My halymenia is finally looking nice w/fiery tips, the red grape started out awesome, then went through a die back phase, & is now back on the upswing. Got some red titan & blue octhodes, of which the former is great & the latter decided my super glue job wasn't adequate & has mostly blown all over the place :angry: I had chaeto going in the fuge but it kept sliming over from the light :huh: it's now in the tank w/the cured rock for the new tank & will go in the sump if I'm ever brave enough to set it up :P

I'm a little leery of hermits given their rep for not always being all that useful, & I hate things that steal the food from my corals mouths (i.e. nassarius snails), I do have a blue leg hermit though. Was looking at the fuzzy chiton info on Reefcleaners, but it's a bit of a tough pill to swallow spending $40 for overnight shipping on a $3 animal :lol:

But Fuzzy Chitons are sooooo cool!!!

Here's a couple pics of one I had a couple of years ago:

IMG_5473.jpg

IMG_5548.jpg

(Sorry for the mini-hijack)

Also, I saw one of these 12" cubes at the LFS today & was quite tempted to buy it. They look very sharp in real life.

jedimasterben

I can catch one of mine and steal a pom pom from him if you want.

(it's not nearly as mean as it sounds :P)

IMG_5473.jpg

IMG_5548.jpg

Alright, those are pretty cool looking. Looks like Reefcleaners is out at the moment so I have a little while to think on it.

jedimasterben

IMG_5473.jpg

IMG_5548.jpg

(Sorry for the mini-hijack)

Also, I saw one of these 12" cubes at the LFS today & was quite tempted to buy it. They look very sharp in real life.

I have a single fuzzy chiton that survived out of two orders (total of six ordered). It has not left the rock it's on, and has never moved until I took the euphyllias off that rock and put mini-maxis, but then he only moved to where they weren't stinging him. :lol:

That fuzzy chiton looks awesome! I think I have a bunch of tiny pink/purple ones. They came in with my rock. We're talking about a 100 of these things....least it seems like it :lol:

I can catch one of mine and steal a pom pom from him if you want.

(it's not nearly as mean as it sounds :P)

Nah....I have two pompom crabs and they would just fight over it until it dies. When I introduced the male to the pomless female, the two he had were missing by the next day!!!!!!!

Jaime I basically agree about nutrients being your primary concetn. I actually think GHA is relatively easy to get in control once you have macros growing well. You can try some phosphate media too but I've always had bad luck - you're just as likely to shock your coral as starve the algae. I like out-competing and having a CUC to tip the balance towards the macros. It just takes time to get there. Anyway, I would trade your GHA for my demon algae any day. :mellow:

And yes, chitons are definitely not the fastest option. :lol: But +1 on soooo cool.

Some extremely crappy cell phone pics from under my very blue late night lighting. The GBGs were hanging together in the front of the tank, and you can see how gravid the female is.

Also, for Weetie, a pic that barely came out of one of the leopard (or ladybug) spotted baby Stomatellas.

IMAG0711.jpg

IMAG0707.jpg

IMAG0706.jpg

Jaime I basically agree about nutrients being your primary concetn. I actually think GHA is relatively easy to get in control once you have macros growing well. You can try some phosphate media too but I've always had bad luck - you're just as likely to shock your coral as starve the algae. I like out-competing and having a CUC to tip the balance towards the macros. It just takes time to get there. Anyway, I would trade your GHA for my demon algae any day. :mellow:

And yes, chitons are definitely not the fastest option. :lol: But +1 on soooo cool.

Yea, I definitely don't want to run a phosban reactor thingie. The GHA is actually not getting too bad, & I'm pretty sure I already see less of it just through water changes & a random scrub w/the toothbrush. I think my CUC is handling it as well.

& you can keep that demon algae for yourself :P Love that pic of your gobies side by side!

Wow, cool!!

Way cooler when you can actually see them. Will work on a better pic.

Yea, I definitely don't want to run a phosban reactor thingie. The GHA is actually not getting too bad, & I'm pretty sure I already see less of it just through water changes & a random scrub w/the toothbrush. I think my CUC is handling it as well.

& you can keep that demon algae for yourself :P Love that pic of your gobies side by side!

Sounds good - toothbrush in the tank though? Spreads it around pretty good IMO, unless you siphon at the same time.

Lol fine I'll own my demon algae. :P Thanks!

Aaaaaaaagh!!!!!!!!!!! I want this!!!!!!!!!!!!!! You're killin' me here!!!!!!!! omgomgomg

Wow, This is so beautiful. Following for sure! I love my macros!

Wow, This is so beautiful. Following for sure! I love my macros!

Cool, welcome aboard!

All, am I nuts for adding an emerald crab in with my GBGs? It's been 3 days and they're still alive but I just had an anxiety attack about it. My frustration at the demon algae overrode my caution, but now I'm paranoid. Thoughts?

Depends....does it have big claws? I had one with big claws (male) and he constantly was trying to catch my fish. I removed him. If it's a female with tiny claws..no problem! Have you seen him take swipes at the fish? I would just observe a LOT.

Archived