Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Ian's Dual-12" Cube Reef/Fuge w/Sump

Looselyhuman

• Replies 686
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Looselyhuman
Is the algae really that bad?

I've never had problems with algae like that but I'm definitely battleling hair algae in my fowlr tank right now. I've been feeding less, changing about 5 gallons weekly and it's not doing very well. And manual removal is somewhat scary since a I have a snowflake eel that thinks I'm gonna feed him everytime I put my hands in the tank. I'm it's really frustrating!

Well, I nitially thought it was bryopsis and actualy would prefer that from what I've read/seen of this stuff. It can survive ULN and doesn't respond to magnesium like bryopsis does. Emeralds and turbos might eat it, but those aren't an option for me. Manual removal seems to just cause it to sprout everywhere like valonia, and so I see little tiny tufts of it on just about every exposed surface that gets light. One guy says he let his LR freeze and when it thawed this stuff was still green and grew back.

:lol: @ scared of snowflake. Ok I prolly would be too. I suggest these. Macros and GFO should also tackle that GHA pretty well, sounds like your feeding regimen is helping. If it's just a few spots then I would pull what you can and perhaps try some peroxide, then get something like Florida Ceriths which seem to eat it when it is new.

You like uncured rocks too?! :wub:

Anything else does not deserve to be called "live." B)

Looselyhuman

Glass-Holes.com Order Contents:

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Qty | Description | Price Each | Total Price

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1 | Super Nano con Dientes Overflow Box | $65.00 | $68.00

| Complete Kit

Add a tube of Magic Lube?: Yes I would! +$3.00

1 | Super Nano con Dientes Overflow Box | $65.00 | $65.00

| Complete Kit

1 | 3/4" Insert Adaptor mpt x ins Sch 80 (1436) | $1.69 | $1.69

2 | 1/2" 90 degree Elbow insert x mpt Sch 80 | $2.30 | $4.60

| (1413)

1 | 1/2" Inch Loc-Line Return Kit | $25.00 | $45.00

Nozzle: Flare Nozzle +$2.00

Add another kit without a 2nd holesaw?: +$17.00

Yes with a flare nozzle

Add a roll of teflon tape?: Yes Please! +$1.00

9 | "1 Ultra-Flex PVC Pipe/ ft | $4.99 | $44.91

10 | 1/2" Black Flexible Vinyl Tubing / Ft | $1.00 | $10.00

6 | Plastic Hose Clamp 1/2 inch | $0.89 | $5.34

5 | 3/4" Black Flexible Vinyl Tubing / Ft | $1.79 | $8.95

1 | 3/4" Tee Fipt Schedule 40 Black (405) | $4.63 | $4.63

4 | Plastic Hose Clamp 3/4 inch | $0.99 | $3.96

Amazon.com Shopping Cart

EHEIM Compact+ Pump 2000 for up to 528 US Gallons (2000L) - EHEIM - Import FOB Germany 1@ $78.99

Mr. Aqua 7. 5 Gallon Frameless Low Iron Glass Aquarium Tank 12 x 12 x 12 Inch - Mr. Aqua 2 @ $79.99

Gulp.

Looselyhuman
I think this all adds up to...sump?

Yep but also replacing the 10G display with two 12" cube displays. Each is 7.5G.

I'm thinking macros, sexies, nem, gorgs in the "display fuge" side and SPS, zoas, gobies, etc in the "reef" side. It will be a miracle if I can get things seperated like that given my scape, hitchhikers and all, but I guess I'm gonna try! :scarry:

First test, can I successfully drill 2x holes in 2x starfire cubes?

I didn't see this coming!

I would start with some new live rock then! Kat's live rock was ballin' as hell lol

I'm thinking about ordering 10-20 pounds of it for my tank

Looselyhuman
omgomgomg:scarry:omgomgomg

:lol:

:o

:happy:

I didn't see this coming!

I would start with some new live rock then! Kat's live rock was ballin' as hell lol

I'm thinking about ordering 10-20 pounds of it for my tank

Well, part of this is going to allow me to get some non macro-safe cleaners for the reef side. I'll h202 treat the affected rock that goes in the macro side. If it follows and is still a problem, then I'll cross that bridge...

This is all assuming I can drill 4 holes without effing up. Not feeling super confident. :mellow:

Yep, I love when they're both out and about. I think I scored in having one slightly bigger than the other, so he "knew" he should be the male. Once he differentiated the other stopped challenging at all.

The faces on my gobies would blush a black color when they were near each other. I'm pretty sure it's an aggression thing. Do yours do that?

Yep but also replacing the 10G display with two 12" cube displays. Each is 7.5G.

I'm thinking macros, sexies, nem, gorgs in the "display fuge" side and SPS, zoas, gobies, etc in the "reef" side. It will be a miracle if I can get things seperated like that given my scape, hitchhikers and all, but I guess I'm gonna try! :scarry:

First test, can I successfully drill 2x holes in 2x starfire cubes?

omgomgomg Sweet!!!!!!!! That's a BIG order!!!!! I want "magic lube" :lol: Just kidding ;)

Did you place the order or is it just in your cart? If you did, congrats. If not....hop to it!!!!!!!! Can't wait!!!!!!

Looselyhuman
The faces on my gobies would blush a black color when they were near each other. I'm pretty sure it's an aggression thing. Do yours do that?

omgomgomg Sweet!!!!!!!! That's a BIG order!!!!! I want "magic lube" :lol: Just kidding ;)

Did you place the order or is it just in your cart? If you did, congrats. If not....hop to it!!!!!!!! Can't wait!!!!!!

I did notice that once or twice back when they were still fighting. Not anymore. It's wub.

Re: omgomgomg : I placed it! I had already placed the glass-holes order (I guess if you have a glass hole you need magic lube :lol: ) but it took me about an hour longer to be decisive on the tanks and pump. No turning back now.

jedimasterben

Man, if I'd have known you needed stuff from glass holes, I have a small box crammed full of bulkheads, loc-line, etc. :/

WTH? Total re do?? Magic lube and glass holes? Sounds dirty!

Seriously, sounds like a very cool plan! Can't wait to see in progress pics!!!

Looselyhuman
Man, if I'd have known you needed stuff from glass holes, I have a small box crammed full of bulkheads, loc-line, etc. :/

You are awesome Ben. Hopefully I got everything I needed in the kits. Now if you could just send me the magical power of perfect drilling..

WTH? Total re do?? Magic lube and glass holes? Sounds dirty!

Seriously, sounds like a very cool plan! Can't wait to see in progress pics!!!

:D I was always planning to get something better than a 10g. I wanted a custom PicO but I'm not sure Chris is going to be doing that anymore, and he would probably have a hella backlog anyway, so I am taking the bull by the horns.

Wow, so you're going to start over with new rock or what? 2 cubes side by side? This is gonna be pretty cool!

I dunno about new rock actually. I'm going to focus on the new build, while working on controlling this stuff with high alk, mag, (truly) zero phosphates, and h202 as needed. I will make sure the rock that goes in the display fuge side is 100% free of it, but if some gets in the sps side I figure I have options there like adding an emerald crab. Worst case, I will replace the rock later if necessary.

Yep, side by side. The plan is to have a removable piece of black acrylic between them and have independent lighting for each side.

Thanks! B)

Should I paint the backs? Also, do you guys think I should have the Mr. Aqua logos on the back or front? I'm hoping the glass/silicone is the same quality on all sides...

jedimasterben
You are awesome Ben. Hopefully I got everything I needed in the kits. Now if you could just send me the magical power of perfect drilling..

I don't know if I have any of those, my dad doesn't call me crooked-eye for nothin'! ;)

Should I paint the backs? Also, do you guys think I should have the Mr. Aqua logos on the back or front? I'm hoping the glass/silicone is the same quality on all sides...

I would paint the backs, definitely. The backs of all my tanks from now on will be painted, even my sump.

Looselyhuman
I would paint the backs, definitely. The backs of all my tanks from now on will be painted, even my sump.

Ok will do. If I could find 2x true Mame glass overflows I might leave the backs clean but with the standard overflow and return lines the black will definitely look better. No thoughts on the logo? :P

jedimasterben
Ok will do. If I could find 2x true Mame glass overflows I might leave the backs clean but with the standard overflow and return lines the black will definitely look better. No thoughts on the logo? :P

I don't mind the logos. They are small and out of the way.

omgomgomg This is going to be sweet. I've never seen a Mr. Aqua in person so can't be of much help in the logo placement...it may just be something you have to decide when you get the tanks. Although, I'd like to think the seaming quality will be as good in the back as the front. :rolleyes:

You don't want a mame overflow anyways, they need to be cleaned frequently. Definitely paint the backs. I would paint the back of mine if I could, its tinted. If you hate the logo, turn it around. I think they are okay personally.

I'll add in my vote for painting the backs black!!!!! And as far as the sticker, my Mr. Aqua pico tank sticker was just a stick on. It came off quite easily. Unless they've changed, it's easy enough to remove if you decide you don't want it.

Here's my official Congrats on the new setup :happydance:

Looselyhuman
I don't mind the logos. They are small and out of the way.

Ok, logos it is.

omgomgomg This is going to be sweet. I've never seen a Mr. Aqua in person so can't be of much help in the logo placement...it may just be something you have to decide when you get the tanks. Although, I'd like to think the seaming quality will be as good in the back as the front. :rolleyes:

omgomgomg

You don't want a mame overflow anyways, they need to be cleaned frequently. Definitely paint the backs. I would paint the back of mine if I could, its tinted. If you hate the logo, turn it around. I think they are okay personally.

Thanks, good to know. Black it is.

I'll add in my vote for painting the backs black!!!!! And as far as the sticker, my Mr. Aqua pico tank sticker was just a stick on. It came off quite easily. Unless they've changed, it's easy enough to remove if you decide you don't want it.

Here's my official Congrats on the new setup :happydance:

Thanks Gena!! Good info on the logos. I still can't decide if I'm in :happydance: or :scarry: mode.

Archived